CAP to the Bahamas for Hurricane Dorian Response

Started by etodd, September 17, 2019, 02:10:33 PM

NIN

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 19, 2019, 02:53:08 PM
So what did CAP do and how did that do it?

Not my lane.  I can say that we did some pretty interesting aerial imagery for our customers.

I'm sure the Public Affairs machine will spool up on this. But I'm just some guy on CAP-Talk who's not really the guy to spill all the beans, so to speak.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

Oh geez.....  here we go again with the secrecy. 

Flying Pig

What type of " pretty interesting aerial imagery" was done? 

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 19, 2019, 03:24:23 PM
What type of " pretty interesting aerial imagery" was done?

The stuff they took of your back yard was pretty interesting! >:D

Rob, you know the drill. Let the PA folks do their job.

Flying Pig

Those are usually spun so far out of reality its not even worth reading.   I know the deal.  I flew in CAP for years.  The reality of what CAP puts out in the media is seldom what actually happened.   CAP did nothing in the Bahamas that hadnt been done 10x by 5 other organizations.    How do I know that?  Because I was around for a couple hurricanes in FL to include Irma and most recently Dorian where the press releases put out by CAP no where near matched the reality of what actually happened.   CAP flew and took some photos with some hand held cameras.  I get it. 

NIN

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 19, 2019, 03:05:43 PM

Its not secrecy, its just that I recall that Moose said there was a reason we weren't releasing imagery and such "outside," whether that was a "customer request" or some other reason.

Not my lane to do so otherwise. I can say 'Yep, we did it' because that's common knowledge (ie. The Airman Magazine piece), and 'Yep it was pretty interesting' because it was, but its not my role or place to go around kicking out slides from the National Staff meeting, especially when I heard we weren't throwing all the details out there just yet.

I'm pretty sure the details of the missions will be made available, but I don't know the timeline or what will be released.

But I am saying the typical naysaying and "rumors of CAP's imminent demise at the hands of other platforms" is premature.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 19, 2019, 05:01:33 PM
CAP flew and took some photos with some hand held cameras.  I get it.

Nope.

Once again, we've got people guessing at what went on.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Flying Pig

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 19, 2019, 03:05:43 PM

To be abundantly clear, it isn't a secrecy issue.

When on an AFAM you are bound by CAP regulations and ICS rules, both of which say the exact same thing: Public Information releases are authorized by the IC and prepared/disseminated by the PIO.

In a perfect world, CAP would have a well known PIO contact area where people could request information, the PIO could coordinate with the IC and then the PIO would release what the IC allows, based on client needs, public affairs needs, and yes, OPSEC needs.

At this point all we can do is hope someone reading this thread decides to let the PIO/IC know that people want to know more about this story.

PHall

IIRC, the "customer" owns and controls all of the imagery that we produce on a mission. It's their decision not ours.
About the only exception I can think of is if it's a "corporate" mission and the customer is CAP.

SarDragon

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 19, 2019, 05:34:32 PM
So what new gear does CAP have?
There are aircraft equipped with Garmin Virb cameras that have a shutter timer to take sequential pictures along a track. Fly back and forth a few times at 1-2000' AGL, import the images into stitching software, and you can generate some amazing detailed views of the target area.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 19, 2019, 10:13:14 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on September 19, 2019, 05:34:32 PM
So what new gear does CAP have?
There are aircraft equipped with Garmin Virb cameras that have a shutter timer to take sequential pictures along a track. Fly back and forth a few times at 1-2000' AGL, import the images into stitching software, and you can generate some amazing detailed views of the target area.

Hardly "new", even to CAP, the rollouts were 4 years ago, though I honestly thought they'd stumbled so much
on the mounting issues that they'ed moved on to other at this point.

GFE is relatively near enough that they could have take one of the airplanes with a remote sensor pod over I suppose.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

The Waldo system we used in PR is no secret. 2D or 3D imagery from the same pass makes the VIRB look like the low end consumer gear that it is.  Waldo was written up several times and also in trade journals. Nothing OPSEC here.

Been over two years since we used our Squadron's Virb.  For a while I'd keep the battery charged. Probably needs a new one by now. I need to ask Wing if they want to bother ordering a new battery.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on September 20, 2019, 01:11:38 AM
The Waldo system we used in PR is no secret. 2D or 3D imagery from the same pass makes the VIRB look like the low end consumer gear that it is.  Waldo was written up several times and also in trade journals. Nothing OPSEC here.

Been over two years since we used our Squadron's Virb.  For a while I'd keep the battery charged. Probably needs a new one by now. I need to ask Wing if they want to bother ordering a new battery.

If your unit isn't using it then why not turn it in to wing so they can issue it to a unit that will use it.
If for no other reason you guys won't be responsible for it.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on September 20, 2019, 03:56:00 AM

If your unit isn't using it then why not turn it in to wing so they can issue it to a unit that will use it.

We have several of the VIRB systems in our Wing and I don't believe anybody is using them. I have not heard of anyone in our Region being tasked by FEMA or others use the VIRB  in a couple years.  Other wings and regions may be using them.?

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on September 20, 2019, 12:56:54 PM
We have several of the VIRB systems in our Wing and I don't believe anybody is using them. I have not heard of anyone in our Region being tasked by FEMA or others use the VIRB  in a couple years.

All Of This Has Happened Before And Will Happen Again...

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: etodd on September 20, 2019, 12:56:54 PM
Quote from: PHall on September 20, 2019, 03:56:00 AM

We have several of the VIRB systems in our Wing and I don't believe anybody is using them. I have not heard of anyone in our Region being tasked by FEMA or others use the VIRB  in a couple years.  Other wings and regions may be using them.?

All the better reason to turn it in to Wing then. Your unit won't have to be responsible for it anymore.
Turning in stuff you don't use anymore is how you keep your unit from becoming a museum of useless stuff...

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on September 20, 2019, 03:41:47 PM
Turning in stuff you don't use anymore is how you keep your unit from becoming Wing HQs become a museum of useless stuff...

FTFY

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2019, 03:44:22 PM
Quote from: PHall on September 20, 2019, 03:41:47 PM
Turning in stuff you don't use anymore is how you keep your unit from becoming Wing HQs become a museum of useless stuff...

FTFY

;D ;D ;D

Yep. Give it 5 years and I'll have a fleet of outdated drones to send back. LOL

Times always a changin'

arajca

As a wing LG, I've made it my mission to close the museum. My inventory is down from ~20 pages when I took over to 6 today. Part of the is getting stuff out to the units that want it, part of is getting rid of the crap.