Are there any rules regarding distances/time behind the wheels when transporting cadets?

Started by xray328, September 05, 2015, 05:05:51 PM

xray328

I'm looking at possibly transporting cadets to an activity 10 hours away.  I didn't see anything in 77-1, are there rules regarding how many miles or how long we can drive in one day in a CAP owned vehicle?

lordmonar

60-1 may have some language about duty days.  But I don't think there is any anything specific.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Use some planning:
1. Schedule driving breaks every couple hours. Get out and stretch legs,wave arms, get blood flowing.
2. If possible, have relief drivers. Even a couple hour break can be helpful.
3. If you start nodding off or getting highway hypnosis, STOP!!!!!!!!!! Find a safe spot to pull over and take a nap. 30 minutes can work wonders. This applies even if you're with in an hour of the end.
4. Resist the temptation to push through.

Storm Chaser

There are no National rules or regulations covering your questions regarding ground transportation. As with any CAP activity, you should apply risk management principles. In addition to the advice provided above, use common sense and, above all, be safe.

Paul_AK

While not CAP, DoDI 6055.04 states the following-

2. APPLICABILITY. This Instruction applies to:

...d. All persons in or on a Government-owned or -leased motor vehicle.

Appendix 3 goes on to state-

3. RISK MANAGEMENT. Apply risk management principles to assessing the risks, establishing operating procedures, and applying supervision and other controls to enforce risk controls. Risk assessments include consideration of such risk factors as time on duty, the operator's physical condition, driving conditions, and length of travel. The following are guidelines for reducing the risk of mishaps from fatigue.

a. Rest. Provide operators the opportunity for 8 consecutive hours of rest during any 24-hour period.

b. Pre-Travel. Preceding a prolonged work or duty period, provide operators a 12-hour period that is as free of duties as possible and, ideally, have it spent sleeping.

c. Duty Period. Limit operators to driving no more than 10 hours in a duty period.

d. Alternative Considerations. Provide fatigued personnel alternate means of transportation or designated rest stops until they are sufficiently rested to operate a motor vehicle or plan for relief drivers.

e. Driving at Night. To the maximum extent possible, schedule driving for daylight periods. When traveling during hours of darkness, consider providing a second awake person in the vehicle cab or reducing the scheduled driving time.

Source: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/605504p.pdf
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

JeffDG

I think we need a new CAPR 0-0

1.  In all situations not otherwise provided for in the regulations, use at least a little common sense.

arajca

Quote from: JeffDG on September 10, 2015, 04:06:16 PM

1.  In all situations not otherwise provided for in the regulations, use at least a little common sense.
How it be called 'common' sense when it is so seldomly found?

Eaker Guy

Quote from: arajca on September 10, 2015, 06:15:12 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on September 10, 2015, 04:06:16 PM

How it be called 'common' sense when it is so seldomly found?

#commonsenseisn'tcommon

THRAWN

Quote from: Paul_AK on September 10, 2015, 03:40:55 PM
While not CAP, DoDI 6055.04 states the following-

2. APPLICABILITY. This Instruction applies to:

...d. All persons in or on a Government-owned or -leased motor vehicle.

Appendix 3 goes on to state-

3. RISK MANAGEMENT. Apply risk management principles to assessing the risks, establishing operating procedures, and applying supervision and other controls to enforce risk controls. Risk assessments include consideration of such risk factors as time on duty, the operator's physical condition, driving conditions, and length of travel. The following are guidelines for reducing the risk of mishaps from fatigue.

a. Rest. Provide operators the opportunity for 8 consecutive hours of rest during any 24-hour period.

b. Pre-Travel. Preceding a prolonged work or duty period, provide operators a 12-hour period that is as free of duties as possible and, ideally, have it spent sleeping.

c. Duty Period. Limit operators to driving no more than 10 hours in a duty period.

d. Alternative Considerations. Provide fatigued personnel alternate means of transportation or designated rest stops until they are sufficiently rested to operate a motor vehicle or plan for relief drivers.

e. Driving at Night. To the maximum extent possible, schedule driving for daylight periods. When traveling during hours of darkness, consider providing a second awake person in the vehicle cab or reducing the scheduled driving time.

Source: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/605504p.pdf

The USDOT has some similar guidelines. This really should be included in the next 77-1 rev.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

ZigZag911

Two drivers would be a good idea in situations like this, to share the workload, and ensure personnel are not stranded if one driver takes ill or otherwise can't function.

xray328

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Agreed a lot of common sense stuff but still very much appreciated.

If I'm transporting cadets, I'm following any regulations to a T.  Clearly there are the usual "common sense" type things folks have mentioned already.  Just making sure I wasn't missing anything that CAP might require outside of the norm.