NER versus MER Honor Guard Academies

Started by xray328, June 23, 2015, 07:24:09 PM

xray328

Is there much of a difference between the two? One better than the other? Thanks.

Rafka

TFO Joshua Rafka, CAP
Squadron Historian
Assistant IT Officer, Assistant Web Security Administrator
Hagerstown Composite Squadron

kwe1009

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on June 23, 2015, 09:02:10 PM
NER

Just curious as to how you came to that conclusion.  Have you attended both?  What is better about one over the other?

Huey Driver

NER currently has two HGAs. One of which is held in conjunction with NH/VT Encampment, and the other is being held right now as part of PA Wing Cadet Training Schools.

I can't vouch for any MER Honor Guard Academies, although I can offer a disclaimer for the two NER Academies: The two academies, as I have seen, are not very similar at all in terms of their course content, as well as their training environments.

My personally recommendation leans steadily towards the NH/VT academy.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

kwe1009

That really doesn't help anyone who is looking for advice.  I would love to hear your reasons, feel free to PM me with them if you like.  If you have not attended both there is no way for you to say which is better.  If your information is from someone who attended both then the original question remains, what is the difference?

I haven't been to both so I can't answer this question at all.  I can say that MER has had 2 HGAs and the second was far better than the first and from what I am hearing this year's MER HGA will be even better.  Even though it may be better than last year, I can't compare it to any other HGQ because I haven't been to any.

Questions like these and "who has the best encampment" tend to be answered by people that have knowledge of only one.  That is not very helpful.

xray328

Thanks for the suggestions. I realize not many have been to both, figured there was talk or observations from cadets that have been through one or the other.

kwe1009

Quote from: xray328 on June 24, 2015, 01:53:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I realize not many have been to both, figured there was talk or observations from cadets that have been through one or the other.

I would sat to pick one and go to it.  The regional HGA is a very new thing.  MER is the oldest and this is only their third year.  I know that some Wings and Regions have had "Honor Academies" for longer than that but that is not an HGA.  Because they are so new you will likely see huge differences from 1 year to the next.  I know cadets that have attended both MER HGA and every one said the same thing: the second one was light years better than the first.  I know that MER is full for this year and there is a pretty long waiting list.  I don't know anything about NER but hope to go there in the next year or so myself.

spaatzmom

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 24, 2015, 04:26:43 PM
Quote from: xray328 on June 24, 2015, 01:53:53 PM

I would sat to pick one and go to it.  The regional HGA is a very new thing.  MER is the oldest and this is only their third year.  I know that some Wings and Regions have had "Honor Academies" for longer than that but that is not an HGA.  Because they are so new you will likely see huge differences from 1 year to the next.  I know cadets that have attended both MER HGA and every one said the same thing: the second one was light years better than the first.  I know that MER is full for this year and there is a pretty long waiting list.  I don't know anything about NER but hope to go there in the next year or so myself.

In actuality, MER HGA is far older than now 3 years.  It was the precursor to the NHGA for several years and is being run by the same director, so consistency in what and how is being taught should be there.  There was a break in time between NHGA and the new MER HGA of 1 year.  When it started up again there were less than 20 cadets due to a very short lead time from approval to beginning date.  Lt. Col. Jett Mayhew is very dedicated to HGA and has been for over 15 years.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on June 24, 2015, 12:39:33 PM
Quote from: dwb on June 23, 2015, 09:37:56 PM
Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on June 23, 2015, 09:02:10 PMNER

:'(

Trust me sir, I have my reasons.

Reasons? Oh, didn't know you had "reasons." That explains....

Absolutely nothing. Nil. Bupkis. Nada. Not a sausage. Nichts. Diddly. Zip. Goose eggs. Zilch. Squat. Nuffink. Naught. Zero.

But I'm glad you have them.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.