What do cadets do after their cadet career?

Started by AngelWings, August 21, 2013, 10:47:36 PM

AngelWings

Has there been any studies on what CAP cadets do after CAP, outside of the military? I'm wondering what most CAP cadets amount to after their career in CAP. If there have been no studies, is there any observations people have made about what cadets do?

Thank you in advance!

coudano

not a study, just spitballing based from the people i know

police fire/rescue, paramedic type fields are also reasonably common
computer/tech support/programming/testing is actually fairly common
i've known a fair share in law
a few in professional aviation (non military)

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: AngelWings on August 21, 2013, 10:47:36 PM
Has there been any studies on what CAP cadets do after CAP, outside of the military? I'm wondering what most CAP cadets amount to after their career in CAP. If there have been no studies, is there any observations people have made about what cadets do?

Thank you in advance!

It would be a fascinating study. We probably cover all walks of life, from preachers to strippers to lawyers to longshoremen.

One totally unscientific observation, probably influenced by my own career choice - I sure know a lot of cops who were cadet officers in CAP.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

NIN

Become crotchety old senior members. "Get off my lawn!"  >:D

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NIN on August 21, 2013, 11:01:28 PM
Become crotchety old senior members. "Get off my lawn!"  >:D

"Get off my lawn!  Get back here! Now, get off my lawn, and stay in step, square those corners..."

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 21, 2013, 10:57:37 PM
Quote from: AngelWings on August 21, 2013, 10:47:36 PM

Thank you in advance!

It would be a fascinating study. We probably cover all walks of life, from preachers to strippers to lawyers to longshoremen.

One totally unscientific observation, probably influenced by my own career choice - I sure know a lot of cops who were cadet officers in CAP.

I know 2 Spaatz cadets who became police officers. One of them is running for Sheriff of a local county.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

A few went military, some into medicine. Others spread about.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I know one who became a professional pilot and is also currently my wing commander.

RangerConlin

I'm going into Law Enforcement eventually, but working on getting my EMT-B license right now.  Several of my friends have also become EMT's or are going into public safety in one way or another.

m981

LTC. CAP
Spaatz
Wilson

Mustang

Former cadets do all kinds of stuff.  I've worked in advertising, Internet development and commercial aviation.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

PHall

Quote from: Mustang on August 22, 2013, 04:33:40 PM
Former cadets do all kinds of stuff.  I've worked in advertising, Internet development and commercial aviation.

One of these days you'll find a job you can keep! >:D

(I know Mustang personally and we like to haze each other just for the fun of it.)

Garibaldi

Sometimes, a former C/SSGT graduates high school, enlists in the Army, gets out a month later, then fumbles around trying to find his place in life and suddenly finds himself a Major trying to rebuild yet another ES program...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

JayT

I ended up going to college while working my way for a private ambulance service, then later going to paramedic school. I work as a paramedic for three fire departments, and a large hospital based service.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RTFB

One of my former cadet colleagues is a history professor at a university.  Another is an electrical engineer.  Another was (is?) an Elvis impersonator.  Not all cadets grow up to have jobs with nametags.

Flying Pig

I'd guess the range of possibilities include everything possibly possible.....from housewife to state prison inmate and everything in between.