Main Menu

Membership numbers

Started by N6RVT, July 31, 2021, 07:51:54 PM

N6RVT

We have been seeing member numbers in the upper 600000 recently.

Someone just joined and got member number 363789.  Thats lower than mine and I joined (for the third time) in 2005.

Are they recycling numbers?

NIN

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 31, 2021, 07:51:54 PMWe have been seeing member numbers in the upper 600000 recently.

Someone just joined and got member number 363789.  Thats lower than mine and I joined (for the third time) in 2005.

Usually an out of sequence number is someone who joined,  got that number,  left,  then rejoined.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JohhnyD

Yep, my number is a 2nnnnn number issued in the 1990s.

Dad Jokes

If they were a cadet when the existing numbering system was in use it will pull their old number.  Just had a member join who was a cadet and they gave him his old number back.  But, if they were a cadet before the new number system , they will get a new number that is in sequence with what ever point it is that day. Had that happen a few months ago.

SarDragon

Here's the results of some research I did a while back on member numbers.

Initially, they were issued wing-by-wing, and the info was sent to NHQ as a part of the membership application, which went through the wing HQ on its journey. Later on, there was a shift to SSANs, some time prior to 1970.

According to another member: It looks like from 1994 to 2000, the CAPID was used internally at NHQ and not used on membership cards or membership reports.

...for members with join dates starting in June 1994, CAPID numbers are sequential based on join date. [It is supposed] that from 1994 to 2000, it was only used internally in the national database and not actually used on anything given to members or units.

If you were a member before the change from SSNs to CAPIDs, at the transition you got a six digit CAPID starting with 1, based on your position in a list of members in SSAN order. These went up to about 145xxx. Then there's a gap. The new members who joined after the transition have CAPIDs starting with 15XXXX. There are some unresolved anomalies in that theory.

There are some thousand number gaps around 1492xx, 1494xx, 1495xx, 1496xx, and 1497xx. The sequence starts again at 1498xx. There is another gap at 1500xx. They seem to continue regularly after that.

Since the SSAN is the master record ID, it's easy to reassign prior numbers to rejoining members.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 01, 2021, 02:49:10 AMthe national database

Lt Col John Eunomia updates membership records for the Civil Air Patrol.
Photo Date: June 2 2021

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPJOE

Quote from: SarDragon on August 01, 2021, 02:49:10 AMHere's the results of some research I did a while back on member numbers.

Initially, they were issued wing-by-wing, and the info was sent to NHQ as a part of the membership application, which went through the wing HQ on its journey. Later on, there was a shift to SSANs, some time prior to 1970.

According to another member: It looks like from 1994 to 2000, the CAPID was used internally at NHQ and not used on membership cards or membership reports.

...for members with join dates starting in June 1994, CAPID numbers are sequential based on join date. [It is supposed] that from 1994 to 2000, it was only used internally in the national database and not actually used on anything given to members or units.

If you were a member before the change from SSNs to CAPIDs, at the transition you got a six digit CAPID starting with 1, based on your position in a list of members in SSAN order. These went up to about 145xxx. Then there's a gap. The new members who joined after the transition have CAPIDs starting with 15XXXX. There are some unresolved anomalies in that theory.

There are some thousand number gaps around 1492xx, 1494xx, 1495xx, 1496xx, and 1497xx. The sequence starts again at 1498xx. There is another gap at 1500xx. They seem to continue regularly after that.

Since the SSAN is the master record ID, it's easy to reassign prior numbers to rejoining members.
I first joined in 1991. My CAP ID is 136***.

SarDragon

That was before the changeover. Where was your SSAN issued?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Simplex

I joined in 1993 and my CAP ID is 130xxx !

N6RVT

Quote from: NIN on July 31, 2021, 08:29:39 PM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 31, 2021, 07:51:54 PMWe have been seeing member numbers in the upper 600000 recently.

Usually an out of sequence number is someone who joined,  got that number,  left,  then rejoined.

Turns out this is the case and their original join date was 2003.

Spam

Quote from: Simplex on August 01, 2021, 02:52:49 PMI joined in 1993 and my CAP ID is 130xxx !

That all tracks. I joined in 83 and mine is 115xxx. I have friends here who joined in the mid/late 70s with 110s from the rolled over.
My cadet CAPID was "000910349... SIR" (I remember rattling that off).

fyrfitrmedic

I originally joined in 1979. I had a CAPSN and somewhere along the way CAP switched to SSNs along the way. My membership lapsed for about a year and I rejoined in early 1995. When the changeover to CAPID took place I received a 18xxxx series number. When the change was about to take place, I inquired as to whether there was any provision to use the old CAPSN numbers. The reply I received was rather testy, bordering on the uncivil if memory serves.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

NIN

Quote from: Spam on August 01, 2021, 04:26:14 PM
Quote from: Simplex on August 01, 2021, 02:52:49 PMI joined in 1993 and my CAP ID is 130xxx !

That all tracks. I joined in 83 and mine is 115xxx. I have friends here who joined in the mid/late 70s with 110s from the rolled over.
My cadet CAPID was "000910349... SIR" (I remember rattling that off).
I learned my CAPSN standing in front of the first Lieutenant Colonel I'd ever met,  in the encampment inprocessing line,  with 100+ cadets behind me. I didn't know I had a CAPSN until that minute (I was so new,  my ID card hadn't shown up yet,  nor had my unit gotten the new MML. The encampment had "the latest and greatest" MML, FedEx'd from Maxwell the day before). In the days before passwords and PINs, a 14 year old memorizing a 6 digit number under pressure wasn't a good thing.

"798207, ma'am!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

BuckeyeDEJ

I have the coolest number, though there's a pattern in it. It's all 13s, starting with a 11. Just sayin'. And I have had three ID numbers in CAP — the first was also CAP-generated, since I didn't have an SSN at the time. I still remember it.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SARDOC

My original join date was November 1992. my CAPID is 10XXXX

N6RVT

Quote from: SARDOC on August 28, 2021, 11:29:27 PMMy original join date was November 1992. my CAPID is 10XXXX

People think I should have a 100XXX number because my join date was 1974, but I didn't see a reason to maintain membership in the auxiliary of the military service I was already part of.  So I had a 2+ year long gap in service (the length of time for National to TOTALLY forget you ever lived), coming back in 2005, and I have 480xxx now.

If I had a number before 1980 I have long since lost track of what it was.

JohhnyD

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on August 29, 2021, 02:27:11 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on August 28, 2021, 11:29:27 PMMy original join date was November 1992. my CAPID is 10XXXX

People think I should have a 100XXX number because my join date was 1974, but I didn't see a reason to maintain membership in the auxiliary of the military service I was already part of.  So I had a 2+ year long gap in service (the length of time for National to TOTALLY forget you ever lived), coming back in 2005, and I have 480xxx now.

If I had a number before 1980 I have long since lost track of what it was.
I joined in 1972 - member # 742NNN, rejoined in 1998 #256NNN

Lord of the North

I joined CAP in California in 1966 and was given ID number of 10096678

Converted to SSAN when the change over happened.

Had about a three year break in service and then rejoined in 1994 in Washington Wing and was give ID number 181545.

Yes I'm OLD!!!

Pinecone

So, I was a Cadet about 1969 - 72.  Then a Senior Member from 79 - to about 82 or 83.

Should I get a number based on my previous membership? Or a new sequence number?

And NO, I would not have ANY idea of what numbers I might have been way back then. :D

SarDragon

You will likely get a new number, since the CAPSN at that time was SSAN. They didn't get into the current 6-digit numbers until much later. You master file is still under your SSAN, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret