Main Menu

Emailing a CAPF12

Started by Stonewall, August 28, 2020, 06:35:32 PM

Stonewall

Currently, and until 31 Aug (I bet it gets extended, again), you can submit a CAPF12, Application for Senior Membership, without fingerprints.

I can't reach anyone by phone and haven't gotten an email response, but has anyone tried sending an application with credit card information via email since a fingerprint card doesn't accompany the application?

Just looking to streamline and save a stamp that I don't have.
Serving since 1987.

baronet68

Are you sending the application to membershipservices @ capnhq.gov ?

It's better practice to not send the credit card info via email but to have them call you back so you can provide the card number over the phone. There can be some delay but they are usually pretty good about replying. 

Otherwise, PM me and we'll discuss.   :)
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

SarDragon

I'm not too keen on emailing a doc with a SSAN, either. I have never considered getting an F12 to NHQ by any other means than mail. It might take an extra day or two but I think it's safer. YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

I totally get the SSN and credit card thing via email. They're a .gov email, I wonder if I can encrypt it from my .mil email address.

Either way, I have an envelop with said application heading to the post office.
Serving since 1987.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: SarDragon on August 28, 2020, 11:58:19 PMI'm not too keen on emailing a doc with a SSAN, either. I have never considered getting an F12 to NHQ by any other means than mail. It might take an extra day or two but I think it's safer. YMMV.

While most of the big email providers use encryption of emails in transit between the servers of the systems involved, it gets messy in regards to encryption at rest, where the servers are located, etc.

If one wants to send sensitive stuff to someone at NHQ, toss them an email asking them to reply back using an encrypted message. This will initiate a process whereby you can either just directly reply to their message with what you need to send (assuming you use M365) or it will provide you what amounts to a webpage where you can upload the document which is then emailed to the recipient, retaining encryption. NHQ uses M365 so they can use the M365 Message Encryption function. I use M365 at my paid employer as well as for CAP and this process works well.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/exchange/office-365-message-encryption
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager