Main Menu

The DRONE Zone

Started by etodd, April 19, 2017, 07:53:59 PM

etodd

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 21, 2017, 07:09:00 PM
It's really freaking hard to document flood waters or tornado damage on any more than a 3 block scale with things that only go 15 minutes on a charge and can't leave line of sight.

A tool, not the tool.

Of course. But once DHS and FEMA gets deep into this, look for them to go into much larger drones. Something in-between these quads and a full blown Predator. Something will come down the line soon that will be cheaper than this fleet of Cessnas.  As a Mission Pilot I hate the thought. But its the long range future.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Gunsotsu

Quote from: etodd on April 21, 2017, 09:28:06 PM
Something in-between these quads and a full blown Predator. Something will come down the line soon that will be cheaper than this fleet of Cessnas.  As a Mission Pilot I hate the thought. But its the long range future.

It already exists. It's only a matter of (a very short amount of) time. And it will be glorious.

https://www.autelrobotics.com/kestrel

Luis R. Ramos

And remember, electronics progresses at a fast pace. Expect more advanced batteries, taking bigger charges.

Maybe even solar-powered drones... That charge their batteries as they fly.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

etodd

Quote from: Gunsotsu on April 21, 2017, 10:37:58 PM

It already exists. It's only a matter of (a very short amount of) time. And it will be glorious.

I wouldn't go quite that far. As a Mission Pilot and also a UAS Remote Pilot ..... I really enjoy flying the airplanes. I use the drone for my business. Its just a tool. No fun standing on the ground wishing I was in the air.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

chuckmilam

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on April 22, 2017, 01:38:53 AM
And remember, electronics progresses at a fast pace. Expect more advanced batteries, taking bigger charges.

There looks to be some exciting developments in battery technology in the coming years.  Can't wait for my smart phone to hold a charge for more than half a day...oh, wait, they'll probably just make it thinner instead of improving power capacity.   >:(