Unit Website Initiative Launch Date announced!

Started by Eclipse, January 18, 2019, 07:19:47 PM

Gunsotsu

Quote from: etodd on January 23, 2019, 12:20:47 AM
Yes, some folks are good at it all .... but the training for PAOs is more geared toward writing releases for the newspaper and gov't officials ... as opposed to how to write a catchy ad that will grab a 14 year old's attention on Facebook.  I'd like to see a whole new track for that.

And this highlights the litany of problems in marketing CAP. 14-year olds aren't on Facebook. Their parents are, their grandparents certainly are, but 14-year olds don't Facebook. Per it's usually glacial pace, this organization steadfastly refuses to even attempt to stay current. Youtube, Instagram, and Snapchat. You want to get 14-year old eyeballs on something, that's where you go. Not Facebook, and not a unit website. 

Eclipse

Not to mention the non-trivial issue of COPA with an organization that is seeking 12 year old eyes.

I agree that every unit should have a basic contact website, if that's what this is, so be it.

Generate 1400 some template sites out of the Form 27 data so that every unit can be located
with a good email and phone number.

Done, next actual problem.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

1145 _squadron_ sites.

That "1400 units" number includes all units, including flights, squadrons, groups, wings, regions, "triple-zero" units, legislative squadrons, all the "NHQ-XXX" units to include overseas squadrons, the HQ flights, the National Commander's Squadron, etc.

The number of local "meet every Tuesday night" units is closer to 1145 last time I ran the count.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Fair point, I usually spout that "1400" number as it's the one NHQ uses a lot.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

The minimum age for a Facebook account is 13.

There are plenty of 14-year-olds on Facebook. Maybe in today's day, it's not the mass norm; but they're out there. We have a number of cadets that follow our squadron's Facebook page.

Eclipse

Um, yes.  With the minimum age being 13, there re plenty of 14 year olds.

CAP brings in members 12 and younger.  That's an issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Gunsotsu on January 23, 2019, 03:53:13 PM
Quote from: etodd on January 23, 2019, 12:20:47 AM
Yes, some folks are good at it all .... but the training for PAOs is more geared toward writing releases for the newspaper and gov't officials ... as opposed to how to write a catchy ad that will grab a 14 year old's attention on Facebook.  I'd like to see a whole new track for that.

And this highlights the litany of problems in marketing CAP. 14-year olds aren't on Facebook. Their parents are, their grandparents certainly are, but 14-year olds don't Facebook. Per it's usually glacial pace, this organization steadfastly refuses to even attempt to stay current. Youtube, Instagram, and Snapchat. You want to get 14-year old eyeballs on something, that's where you go. Not Facebook, and not a unit website.

Gee wiz. I used FB generically to mean social media in general, and you decide to spend time writing all that ^^^.  LOL

Well OKKKKK  ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2019, 06:47:03 PM
Um, yes.  With the minimum age being 13, there re plenty of 14 year olds.

CAP brings in members 12 and younger.  That's an issue.

If Facebook were you sole avenue of contact, sure. You'd miss the 12 year olds. But certainly "parents of kids 12-18" is a targeted "audience" you can use in FB advertising.

And there are other avenues of approach to get the 12 year old audience.

And certainly, COPPA aside, 12 year olds have the ability, if not the capability, to surf the web on their own. Supervised or otherwise.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2019, 04:13:27 PM
Not to mention the non-trivial issue of COPA with an organization that is seeking 12 year old eyes.

I agree that every unit should have a basic contact website, if that's what this is, so be it.

Generate 1400 some template sites out of the Form 27 data so that every unit can be located

Let me guess. I'll bet you are a heavy yellow page user. Sits right on your desk.

PHall

Quote from: etodd on January 23, 2019, 07:26:47 PM

Let me guess. I'll bet you are a heavy yellow page user. Sits right on your desk.

Right next to his Bell System Model 500 rotary dial phone! >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on January 23, 2019, 07:59:47 PM

Um no.

I use a Model 2702BMG thank you very much.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Using said phone

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2019, 08:15:30 PM

Um no.

I use a Model 2702BMG thank you very much.

2000 series phones are Touch Tone not rotary. Nice try.

NIN

Gents, back to the subject. Don't make me show the new mods how to prune threads....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

arajca

Awww. You're no fun, Nin.  ;D

Anyhow, it's interesting how many folks complain about the huge variety of CAP websites, but don't seem to like the idea of a CAP "branded" website that promotes the notion of "One CAP" being put forth. If this program can help keep the sites updated with contact and location information, that'd be a huge help. It can also help relieve the burden many members have taken on designing and hosting a unit website.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on January 23, 2019, 10:38:10 PM

Anyhow, it's interesting how many folks complain about the huge variety of CAP websites, but don't seem to like the idea of a CAP "branded" website that promotes the notion of "One CAP" being put forth. If this program can help keep the sites updated with contact and location information, that'd be a huge help. It can also help relieve the burden many members have taken on designing and hosting a unit website.

Mandating one tool over another doesn't mean the tool chosen is appropriate, nor that anyone will use it.
PA right now is one of the most discussed, and least "member-interested" roles.  Yo have places where people
care, and places where they don't.

Unless it's auto-generated, the content will die in the same way it does now, or be refreshed in most places
at SUI time.

As to "branding" - NHQ doesn't adhere to their own policies, how will they enforce it downstream?

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

I'm all for it. Matter of fact, Christopher Kovacs (you OH Wing guys know Toph) and I proposed just such a thing to NHQ circa 1999 or so.  NHQ-hosted websites in basically three levels of complexity:

1. a "generic " data driven site with "unit locator-style" info (meeting location, unit contacts) using the info found in CAPWATCH (eServices). Unit doesn't have anybody with a clue? No big.  Its all automagic. You have at least this, and literally within a day after a change of command or  meeting location, your website would reflect the info found in the national database.

2.  A data-driven site using a drag & drop editor. You could have a unit calendar, a photo gallery, maybe some kind of "unit news" if you so choose.  Last guy who knew how to use the editor leaves the unit and nobody cares to learn?  One mouse click and you're back to a Level 1 site.

3. The ability to link the "uuu.wg.cap.gov" URL to your current unit site, because you have a killer web team already. Oh, your web guy transferred to another state and your site won't work anymore? You can either have a Level 2 or a Level 1 site going forward.

As I recall (I don't have my email archives that far back), the answer was "Why would we want something like that?"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

etodd

Anyhow, it's interesting how many folks complain about the huge variety of CAP websites, but don't seem to like the idea of a CAP "branded" website that promotes the notion of "One CAP" being put forth.

Huh?  About a year ago(?) they rolled out a new template to that very end. And yes, we used it on our website on our own domain hosted elsewhere. "One CAP" ... you bet.  :)

But now after having spent many hours on it. One Squadron in our Wing just redid theirs totally in the last 3 months.... NOW we get told ... back to square one. 

The only good side is that there isn't a deadline. (As of yet)

GZCP31

Quote from: etodd on January 23, 2019, 11:36:58 PM
The only good side is that there isn't a deadline. (As of yet)

From the PDF "Leadership will determine and communicate a target date later in the calendar year. To be clear, the target date will be communicated this year, but there is no expectation that all migration will have been completed in 2019."
Former OK Wing DCL/DCA Mid 90s, Rejoined after 17 years out.
Capt. Communications-Master
Squadron Deputy Commander, Emergency Services Training Officer,  Professional Development Officer,  Administration Officer, Personnel Officer, Communications Officer and Aerospace Education Officer, Texas Wing DOU

CAPTShaw

I have searched and searched many many lists and found no one that even rates this SiteViz, even any Top 100 lists, not any discussion other than their own website.

As to our current Squadron website, information is updated often, it has not cost the the Squadron 1 penny.

Has anyone found any discussion about SiteViz?

Capt David Shaw, CAP SQ 606
Founder
Greene County Composite Squadron 606 (12JAN17)