Unit Website Initiative Launch Date announced!

Started by Eclipse, January 18, 2019, 07:19:47 PM

Eclipse

https://www.capnhq.gov/news/Documents/Unit_Website_Initiative_Launch_Date_announced.pdf

Unit Website Initiative Launch Date announced!
Your CAP Leadership Team is happy to announce that, beginning 1 February, NHQ will offer a 3rd party
hosted website Content Management System to each unit, free of charge!
What are the benefits of the new hosted solution?

• Allows units with limited resources the ability to establish unit web sites without absorbing the
costs with local funds. For those who already have established web sites, these benefits will be
available upon migration.

• Just as members are able to view the public facing gocivilairpatrol.com site as well as log onto
eServices, units will have the ability to retain localized sites, processes and protected (login)
pages behind their pubic facing site.

• Proper security protocols will be in place to safeguard content from vulnerabilities and hacks.

• Enhances CAP branding efforts through alignment with gocivilairpatrol.com template.

• Provides continuity of web management; reducing issue with orphan websites which are
especially vulnerable to hacking attempts and are the most likely to not comport with the CAP
branding requirements.

• Ensures that an automatic and secure backup process is in place.

• Provides a responsive web design that will render on computers, tablets and phones.
What type of capabilities will be available in the new CMS?

• The unit website template is being modeled after the gocivilairpatrol format. All capabilities
that are available on gocivilairpatrol will be available on the unit CMS as well. A few of the most
often used capabilities are listed below:
o Events Calendar
o Feedback Module
o Press Release
o Photo Album
o Site Map
o Resources and Links

Is the new hosted solution mandatory?
• Yes, the CAP Leadership Team has mandated that all new websites will be stood up and
established sites migrated to the new system. Due to the level of effort involved in migrating
established sites, there is no expectation that established sites will immediately be moved to the
new CMS on 1 February. Website owners will be asked to begin planning their migration,
however target date for completing migration across all CAP units has not be determined. The
goal is to initially stand up those units that have asked to participate as early adopters with
others to follow as familiarity with the CMS grows. Leadership will determine and communicate
a target date later in the calendar year. To be clear, the target date will be communicated this
year, but there is no expectation that all migration will have been completed in 2019.
Once my unit requests a site, how long do we have to go live on the new CMS?

• There is no imposed deadline for "go live" after you receive access to the CMS. We would
encourage you request early so that you have time to familiarize yourself with the new
capabilities and plan for your migration.
Where will we find the more information on the CMS such as training materials, how to make a
request for a site for my unit?

• Training materials and information regarding how to request access to the CMS will be posted to
the IT page in eServices no later than 25 January.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Is it Wordpress, or has Hdqs picked some obscure system.

Most importantly ... can we keep our domain?  Its crazy if we have to go back to the old sub-domain system. Some of us have spent lots of time getting good Google listings.

Some of us have already spend months creating our own websites that have most of the features already touted here.

If its Wordpress, we will have the ability to add Plugins for special features? We are using several. Or will we be hamstrung to all be the same vanilla website?

Our website is "strictly" for marketing and publicity use ... so the whole OPSEC thing is irrevelent.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

chuckmilam

Quote from: etodd on January 18, 2019, 07:48:23 PM

From what I understand, it's something called "SiteViz CMS" by Global Reach Internet Productions, LLC in Iowa. 

Never heard of it?  Don't feel bad, neither had I--and I've been around the Internet for a good long time.

Go ahead, Google it.

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on January 18, 2019, 07:19:47 PM
Enhances CAP branding efforts through alignment with gocivilairpatrol.com template.

• Provides continuity of web management; reducing issue with orphan websites which are
especially vulnerable to hacking attempts and are the most likely to not comport with the CAP
branding requirements.

When you see it...

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Just what we need...another user database to maintain if we want to put any "secure" content on it.

NHQ won't let us to SAML to eServices, so we have to build our own.  Hopefully we can do Google authentication here so we can leverage the system we've built for members to log into our wing site.

A.Member

Gripe all you want.  This is long overdue and welcome in my eyes.  I could probably count on one hand, with fingers to spare, the number of actual quality unit sites I've seen over the years.  Most are pure crap.  If this brings greater standardization and a more professional overall appearance to the organization, I'm all for it.  :clap:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

etodd

Quote from: chuckmilam on January 18, 2019, 08:43:02 PM
Quote from: etodd on January 18, 2019, 07:48:23 PM

From what I understand, it's something called "SiteViz CMS" by Global Reach Internet Productions, LLC in Iowa. 

Never heard of it?  Don't feel bad, neither had I--and I've been around the Internet for a good long time.

Go ahead, Google it.

Geez. Who was at Hdqs the day the snake oil salesman walked in and sold a proprietary system that will leave every squadron in trouble when this company goes down?  Nuts.

sardak

^^^^Global Reach has been the developer of the CAP NHQ website for years, longer than you've been a member. Their logo is at the bottom of the CAP homepage.

Found the news release - 2003 -  https://www.globalreach.com/about/news-and-press-releases/global-reach-gives-the-civil-air-patrol-new-wings/

Mike

etodd

Looking at the source code of siteviz.com its so similar to WP, like they just use WP, but change a few things here and there, just enough they can call it their own. Seen it before, so many times over the years.

Will they give Squadrons Admin level access, or will it be Author only which is excruciating limiting.

Still want to know about domains. I'd sure hate to go back to the sub-domains. If we can't use our existing domain, we could always just use that for marketing separately and put the "official" website on this new system.

etodd

Quote from: sardak on January 18, 2019, 11:42:11 PM
^^^^Global Reach has been the developer of the CAP NHQ website for years, longer than you've been a member. Their logo is at the bottom of the CAP homepage.

Mike

And everyone has been complaining about it for as long as I have been around. 

Please don't tell me its the same company that does WMIRS and eServices! Ouch!

Luis R. Ramos

I have never heard or seen any complain. And I have been using WMIRS and eServices for a long time.

My complaint is with some squadron themselves. They do great webpages. Providing lots of info for members and non-members alike. Then invite those looking at their websites to see their sites. When they have placed their website on, let's say, Facebook! I have to log on to Facebook to see a unit webpage?

NO WAY! This is sine qua non!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

A.Member

Quote from: etodd on January 18, 2019, 11:48:46 PM
Quote from: sardak on January 18, 2019, 11:42:11 PM

Mike

And everyone has been complaining about it for as long as I have been around. 

Please don't tell me its the same company that does WMIRS and eServices! Ouch!
So, you have yet to see or use the actual product and you've already passed judgement?!  You've made several comments here and in other threads about your website/social media.  Care to share the URL to your unit page so we can take a look? 

Here's the thing, an effort is being made to provide a branded product that provides consistency across the org.  Rather than fight and poo-poo it before it even gets launched, give it a shot and keep in mind the bigger picture.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

etodd

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 19, 2019, 02:46:31 AM
I have never heard or seen any complain. And I have been using WMIRS and eServices for a long time.

My complaint is with some squadron themselves. They do great webpages. Providing lots of info for members and non-members alike. Then invite those looking at their websites to see their sites. When they have placed their website on, let's say, Facebook! I have to log on to Facebook to see a unit webpage?

NO WAY! This is sine qua non!

Yes. Its apples and oranges. A Facebook page has different uses than a website.  Both can be great marketing tools.

Squadrons look at these differently. Some build both with the primary emphasis member use.  Ours is primarily marketing and advertising trying to reach potential new members.

etodd

Quote from: A.Member on January 19, 2019, 02:49:53 AM

So, you have yet to see or use the actual product and you've already passed judgement?!

Guilty as charged. I should have waited to speak.

Its a done deal, so it doesn't matter anyway. We'll donate the time and effort to "redo all the work" we've done over the last 3 years on our existing website to convert to the new "official" website template for our squadron as mandated, then go on about our usual business.

arajca

According to the question/answer section, while all units will be required to convert over to the new system, there is currently no deadline, and it does seem to suggest the conversion process may be a multi-year project. So, once the system becomes available, see what it will take to convert and make a plan.

I have seen some outstandingly great unit websites, and many more...pathetic/ancient/out-of-date unit websites. 

etodd

Quote from: arajca on January 19, 2019, 03:57:29 AM

I have seen some outstandingly great unit websites, and many more...pathetic/ancient/out-of-date unit websites.

And that will not necessarily change.

No matter how great the "template with a blank hole in the middle" and the CMS is, the success of each website is totally dependent on each Squadron's "website person" to be knowledgeable into what content should be on each page, what works marketing wise to grab attention of possible visitors. Etc.,

How good is the local photography that the website will be filled with? Does it tell a story and grab people's attention? Is it filled with snapshots, or is it carefully planned out based on the content of each page?

So while, yes, a new CMS may give the tools needed .... don't expect every squadron to all of a sudden have a wonderful website.

After the website manager position has gone from the second or third person and each has put their mark on it, is when it usually gets to be a "mess".  LOL

But yes .... an answer has been needed, to give those squadrons without access to a web developer, to able to get something online. Maybe the first few new sites will give them a model of some content they can brainstorm with.

RiverAux

The CG Aux has been doing this for a number of years and the result is that almost every unit does have a website.  However, most of them are a generic site in which the only local content is contact information drawn from the national directory.  Most units are not adding much of their own content and very few seem to be taking real advantage of the capabilities.  But, if the goal is to at least have a basic site for all units, it works. 

etodd

Quote from: RiverAux on January 22, 2019, 11:05:37 PM
The CG Aux has been doing this for a number of years and the result is that almost every unit does have a website.  However, most of them are a generic site in which the only local content is contact information drawn from the national directory.  Most units are not adding much of their own content and very few seem to be taking real advantage of the capabilities.  But, if the goal is to at least have a basic site for all units, it works.

Yep.  Personally, I think there should be a wholly different track/position/category/whatever for a position of Marketing/Advertising.  Too often it gets lumped into Public Affairs Officers and/or Recruiters.  Advertising is a very different animal than PAO's "News Releases".  Both are great and needed. But its a different mindset, when you want your website and social media to draw people in.

Yes, some folks are good at it all .... but the training for PAOs is more geared toward writing releases for the newspaper and gov't officials ... as opposed to how to write a catchy ad that will grab a 14 year old's attention on Facebook.  I'd like to see a whole new track for that.

JMHOs of course.

Fester

Quote from: etodd on January 23, 2019, 12:20:47 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 22, 2019, 11:05:37 PM

Yep.  Personally, I think there should be a wholly different track/position/category/whatever for a position of Marketing/Advertising.  Too often it gets lumped into Public Affairs Officers and/or Recruiters.  Advertising is a very different animal than PAO's "News Releases".  Both are great and needed. But its a different mindset, when you want your website and social media to draw people in.

Yes, some folks are good at it all .... but the training for PAOs is more geared toward writing releases for the newspaper and gov't officials ... as opposed to how to write a catchy ad that will grab a 14 year old's attention on Facebook.  I'd like to see a whole new track for that.

JMHOs of course.

Boy, if only you had a forum full of a captive audience to start a "Marketing/Advertising your Unit" thread with some of your best practices on the topic.  :D
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996