Hunter Orange MOLLE Vest

Started by Samex, January 17, 2014, 06:20:34 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on January 25, 2015, 06:13:59 AM
The diamond on the 101 card indicators a skill evaluator....requires input from wing....but the SET on the card shows up when you finish the training (or at least it used to) which is what I thought was being talked about.

SET is NOT a Skill evaluator.

Maybe it is just a terminology thing.   If so I apologize.

I'm running off the same as the signature. :)

But outside of that, SET and Skills Evaluator seem to interchangeable around here.

Shieldel

What's on my 101 is in my signature, if that clarifies things. I always thought the two were interchangeable.
Also looking back in the first few pages again...I REALLY want one of those orange backpacks...
Formerly 2d Lt Michael D. Scheidle
Formerly Jack Schofield Cadet Squadron
Member of PCR-NV070, 069, 802 throughout my CAP Career
Former CAP Member 2011-2018

SarDragon

Quote from: Shieldel on January 25, 2015, 06:47:39 AM
What's on my 101 is in my signature, if that clarifies things. I always thought the two were interchangeable.
Also looking back in the first few pages again...I REALLY want one of those orange backpacks...

Did anyone bother to check the 101 card. I did. It's all there. 'Nuf said.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Thompson

BTW, as far as cost is concerned on these items, all prices are in CAD, which means with the exchange rate the items are cheaper than they appear. After the 15% discount, my vest and 2 pouches came to $129 after shipping. When it hit my credit card it only hit for 105.12 due to the exchange rate!
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Shieldel

Oh nice! Ok I wasn't aware of conversions and hitting the credit card and all, I thought the previously mentioned prices were in USD, ALREADY converted

Eclipse

Quote from: Shieldel on January 25, 2015, 06:26:16 PM
Oh nice! Ok I wasn't aware of conversions and hitting the credit card and all, I thought the previously mentioned prices were in USD, ALREADY converted

The current exchange rate is working quite nicely the US' favor.  I was in Toronto in Dec, and
through some mistakes with the vendors, my hotel, rental car, and misc stuff was all
charged on the CN side.

Even after the credit card foreign xchange fees, everything was still 10-15% less then
the prices we were quoted on the US side.

Now's a good time to buy!

"That Others May Zoom"

Shieldel

I'll definetely have to buy now then! Guess I'll get my vest now and my pouches later!

Eclipse

So, now a question for myself.

By "breakaway" are we talking about the drop-down style for ease of access, or some safety thing in the event the
vest is caught by a vehicle, etc?

Or is this so you can remove then quickly to access?

Or other?

"That Others May Zoom"

Shieldel

If you look back on page 7 Eclipse, Mr Rondeau gave us a sneak preview of the breakaway pouches. Just to get an idea of what the company is thinking. It's meant as quick release I think.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on January 25, 2015, 05:57:58 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 25, 2015, 05:22:25 AM
There's no regulation dictating gear color, as there's no standardized gear.

As advice, especially based on your call out comment, I don't think a cadet should invest in this gear. (It's even a stretch for SMs, things being as they are).

As a side note, I know your 101 says you're an SET, but are you an actual wing sanctioned SET? IIUC, ILWG doesn't/rarely qualifies cadets as SET.
The SET on the 101 comes from competing the SET training.....not getting on the approved list.

I don't believe SET shows on the 101 card anymore, just the diamond by the appropriate qualification if appointed as a skills evaluator for it.

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 25, 2015, 05:22:25 AM
As a side note, I know your 101 says you're an SET, but are you an actual wing sanctioned SET? IIUC, ILWG doesn't/rarely qualifies cadets as SET.

As has been mentioned, wings have different policies regarding cadets as skills evaluators. Many do allow cadets to be appointed as such. Personally, I won't approve any cadet unless they've been actively participating in training or actual missions, and have demonstrated maturity and the skills to effectively train and evaluate others.

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 25, 2015, 06:40:14 AM
But outside of that, SET and Skills Evaluator seem to interchangeable around here.

I've seen some use it interchangeably, but their not the same thing.

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 26, 2015, 03:04:59 AMPersonally, I won't approve any cadet unless they've been actively participating in training or actual missions, and have demonstrated maturity and the skills to effectively train and evaluate others.
Shouldn't you do that for any skill evaluator....cadet  or not
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on January 26, 2015, 03:07:00 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 26, 2015, 03:04:59 AMPersonally, I won't approve any cadet unless they've been actively participating in training or actual missions, and have demonstrated maturity and the skills to effectively train and evaluate others.
Shouldn't you do that for any skill evaluator....cadet  or not

Absolutely. But we were talking about cadets as skills evaluators, so my comment was directed at that. At the unit level, it's much easier to confirm their maturity and skill level, but it's a bit more challenging to do so at the group level.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2015, 05:34:54 AM
Quote from: Shieldel on January 25, 2015, 03:53:07 AM
This is impressive gear...ok so as I saw there's somewhat of a disagreement between orange and yellow, so which as CAP Personnel should I order?

As mentioned, there is no national standard, and the applicable regulations only indicate "ANSI II".

Your call.

While CAPR 62-1 allows for ANSI II orange or lime green safety vests (and CAPM 39-1 only refers to CAPR 62-1), I personally prefer orange for wilderness GSAR, as in my experience it's easier to spot in the woods. Also, hunters wear and are conditioned to look out for orange in the woods. But again, that's just my personal preference. The Ground and UDF Team Task Guide specifies orange vests, but the Task Guide predates the current CAPR 62-1. It also recommends that the day pack be red or orange, but it doesn't require it.

Майор Хаткевич

IIRC some states require orange on state lands when hunting season is in.

Capt Thompson

Good point, no reason to carry both colors and switch mid search to legally cross onto state game lands, plus most GTMs will have orange, so why be the odd man on the team unless assigning a different color vest for a duty position for quick identification in the field.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Eclipse

Quote from: Matt Thompson on January 26, 2015, 05:28:51 PM
Good point, no reason to carry both colors and switch mid search to legally cross onto state game lands, plus most GTMs will have orange, so why be the odd man on the team unless assigning a different color vest for a duty position for quick identification in the field.

Perhaps in your AOR, but mine is much more urban and a lot of members are switching to yellow to
fit in with the rest of the EMS/DR community.

You raise a fair point, and if nothing else, there should be a wing policy or something specific to the AOR.
For professionalism, everyone on a given team should be in the same color.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2015, 06:15:01 PM

Perhaps in your AOR, but mine is much more urban and a lot of members are switching to yellow to

You raise a fair point, and if nothing else, there should be a wing policy or something specific to the AOR.

This is the big problem. Everyone else that I've ever seen is almost universally in yellow. CAP and maybe a few groups here and there still use mostly orange. So who do we try to fit in with, CAP with orange or everyone else with yellow?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jeders on January 26, 2015, 06:58:28 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2015, 06:15:01 PM

This is the big problem. Everyone else that I've ever seen is almost universally in yellow. CAP and maybe a few groups here and there still use mostly orange. So who do we try to fit in with, CAP with orange or everyone else with yellow?

CAP Orange is a far distant one compared to CAP Olive Drab/BDU/DCU/ABU/ACU/Urban Camo/Black Tac vest.

Storm Chaser

Ideally, we would have orange gear when in a woodland environment and lime green when in an urban environment. Unfortunately, we don't have issued or even standardized gear (or policies, for that matter), so enforcing this would be nearly impossible.

Eclipse

^ And this gets back to mission and purpose.

CAP has these challenges because it has no definition of response lane.  CAP wants to be all things to all people.

"That Others May Zoom"