GT badge looks like Paratrooper seal?

Started by Smoothice, August 12, 2011, 08:05:25 PM

Smoothice

So, I run into the store to pay for my gas the other night. As I am in line, this older guy in front of me turns and tells me " you guys are doing a great job ". Now,  I assumed he noticed the "Civil Air Patrol" on my BDU's...He goes on to say he's retired Air Force..Ok, Cool...then, he points twords my GT badge, then goes on to tell me how he still sees a doctor becuase his knee is messed up from multiple "jumps". As I listened to him for a few minutes, it donned on me that he mis-took my GT badge for some kind of Paratrooper seal. I think he thaught I was active duty! I was about to tell him that I was CAP and not AF, but he was turning to walk out. SO, I left it be. On the way out, he waved and told me again to "keep up the good work"

My feel-good moment of the day!

I guess the badge DOES kinda look like a paratrooper thingy. Can anyone post a photo of real one? For comparison?

:clap:

N Harmon

NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

SPD6696

"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

Smoothice

Ok then...yup...I can see how in the spur-of-the-moment it could be confused!

Thanks!

Stonewall

Meh, I just wore both, that way it really confuses the older folks  8)
Serving since 1987.

DakRadz

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 12, 2011, 08:15:51 PM
http://www.vanguardmil.com/navy-and-marine-corps-badge-parachutist-regulation-size-mirror-finish-p-3791.html

He asked for a photo of real jump wings. >:D

I love how it says "Customers who purchased these also bought: Navy Captain Chaplain Hard boards, soft boards."

And I knew what the link would be just because I knew the poster  ;)

Mustang

The IC badge uses the same style of wings as the mil jump wings.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

AC

OK, my sig is a photo, and it is of real jump wings. I made another post somewhere here about mistaking occupational badges for jump wings when the badges first came out in the Air Force. Kind of related, they all kind of look the same.

Oh, please don't call them a "seal".

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

DakRadz

Quote from: AC on August 19, 2011, 05:33:57 AM

OK, my sig is a photo, and it is of real jump wings. I made another post somewhere here about mistaking occupational badges for jump wings when the badges first came out in the Air Force. Kind of related, they all kind of look the same.

I'm sure he wasn't belittling you or anyone with those wings, sir- the link is for Navy/Marine Corps jump wings, and Flying Pig is a prior service Marine with a sense of humor.

:)