Main Menu

Transfer a SM out

Started by Dustoff17, January 23, 2023, 02:12:24 AM

Dustoff17

I've searched and can't find any Reg OR guidance for transferring a SM out of a Squadron.

Can a Squadron Commander transfer an active/participating SM out of their Squadron? If so, what is the criteria or published reference please?

NIN

Search harder.

Personnel matters are in the 30-series.  That narrows it down considerably.

Transfers are a membership action. Thats probably the Membership regulation: CAPR 39-2

CAPR 39-2 is a PDF. CTRL-F, "Transfer"

Done.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

That said, where do you plan to transfer this member to? Transfers are generally initiated by the gaining unit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

Depends on why you want to transfer the member out.  First note what SarDragon said, that most transfers are initiated by the receiving unit.  Don't just transfer a member to another unit without at least discussing it with  that unit commander.

Many Wings have a -000 Charter number.  While they are authorized, I disagree with assigning members to this unit.  This typically makes them the responsibility of the Wing Commander.  And while in this unit, with almost no oversight, they are still considered a fully active member in good standing, meaning they can still show up and Fly a plane, come to unit activities, go a SAREXs, etc.

If they are a disciplinary issue, don't transfer them.  Handle the problem.  Seek guidance from your chain of command.  Don't make them someone else's problem.

If they just stopped participating, call them and find out the issue.   If they just aren't interested anymore, send the paperwork to national headquarters transferring them to be a patron member.  If they become interested again, submit the paperwork and bring them active again.

If they are a Cadet, They technically can't be transferred to the -000 unit although I see it all the time.  They also can't become patron members.  The CAP regs require that cadets "Actively Participate" in the program.  If they aren't reach out to the Cadet and Parents, to see if we can bring them back, if they aren't interested, encourage them to Voluntarily resign their membership. because "Failure to progress satisfactorily in the CAP cadet program." and " Lack of interest demonstrated by failure to attend three successive regular meetings without an acceptable excuse. " are reasons for terminating their membership.

Dustoff17

Sorry, this was my first post and I wasn't trying to be vague. I wrote "transfer", I meant remove.

Can a Squadron Cdr remove or force a SM to not attend meetings because they don't like them?

NO disciplinary, insubordination, financial, tangible issues; just don't like.

I'm searching for anything published that supports a "it's my Squadron, I'm in Command. My decision." stance.

I'm not finding it......

P.S. I'm the SM.

PHall

Quote from: Dustoff17 on January 23, 2023, 05:41:43 PMSorry, this was my first post and I wasn't trying to be vague. I wrote "transfer", I meant remove.

Can a Squadron Cdr remove or force a SM to not attend meetings because they don't like them?

NO disciplinary, insubordination, financial, tangible issues; just don't like.

I'm searching for anything published that supports a "it's my Squadron, I'm in Command. My decision." stance.

I'm not finding it......

P.S. I'm the SM.

Yes, they can suspend you, but it has to be for specified reason like misconduct.

See CAP Regulation 35-1, Paragraph 2-2.

Dustoff17

Quote from: PHall on January 23, 2023, 08:49:33 PMYes, they can suspend you, but it has to be for specified reason like misconduct.

See CAP Regulation 35-1, Paragraph 2-2.

Thank you, I'll look that up!

Nothing has occurred like this. I'm a Reg person, if it's a Reg, there are no "grey areas". The Cdr likes to disregard them (including CPP). I've not argued but have pointed out the violations, Cdr doesn't like this and wants me gone. I don't want to leave.

Craswell

Your talking about TOT (Transfer Out Trouble) and PITAs (Pains in the ummm rear area)  TOT used to be a big thing and what with the different flavors of squadrons I think it was a benefit for the one I used to run. I made it known that I would take anyone's TOTs in a heartbeat.  *Smallish unit lots of work not many to do it.  PITAs I believe are often people without a job. And while skill levels of members go all over the place I never had a member who couldn't do something and with a little focus on a goal (Like having a first rate ES unit) I found my TOTs that were doing that one thing they could do learning how to do other stuff all of which kept them busy and I had no PITAs. At least nothing near serious enough to want to unload them onto someone else. 
Busy people are not bored looking for trouble and keep them busy enough they won't have time to be a PITA.

Leadership is getting people to do something you want done. Think of the person you want to 2B or transfer out. I can't think of any good reason to join CAP (Pay Dues, buy equipment, spend time learning things I know nothing about (Nor wanted to) without a lot of drive to serve. Just help steer that drive and get some of your high quality members the task of helping them learn how to achieve something the CAP way and bingo! Someone else's TOT is your treasure.   

Eclipse

Quote from: Craswell on August 14, 2023, 11:30:39 PMI can't think of any good reason to join CAP (Pay Dues, buy equipment, spend time learning things I know nothing about (Nor wanted to) without a lot of drive to serve.

People want the business card, the bling, and the Karma points, but they don't want to do the work.

"That Others May Zoom"