Uniform Supplier of Grey Pants

Started by Major Carrales, November 23, 2009, 08:24:14 PM

High Speed Low Drag

I talked with my good friend (who is the owner of a large public safety uniform & supply store & distributor for the uniform companies) who advised the best thing to do is to decide on a range of colors (of gray) (based on the standard PANTONE Textile color chart) and then decide on the most cost-effective supplier.  He said to look outside of the public safety uniform suppliers for possibly lower costs.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

High Speed Low Drag

Bump::::      Some results:

Edward's Garment:    (uniform manufacturer)
M/F Dark Gray, full front pants, Dark Gray  (65% poly, 35% Cotton) $26.60     Catalog page 84
(SAME), pleated - $28.80
M  Heather Gray, full front pants (100% Poly) - $31.60  Catalog Page 87
F   Heather Gray, full front pants (100% Poly) - $36.60

http://edwardsgarment2010.ecatalognow.com/publication/?i=23209 

Still searching.  Looked at several other suppliers, they were all over $50.00 per pair, which defeats our purpose.  Will post more soon.
G. St. Pierre                             

Rotorhead

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on December 01, 2009, 06:45:59 AM

M/F Dark Gray, full front pants, Dark Gray  (65% poly, 35% Cotton) $26.60     Catalog page 84
(SAME), pleated - $28.80

Still searching.  Looked at several other suppliers, they were all over $50.00 per pair, which defeats our purpose.  Will post more soon.

Yes, it does, especially considering that Wal-Mart offers grey slacks for $12 or so.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Eclipse

Quote from: Rotorhead on December 01, 2009, 03:52:19 PM
Yes, it does, especially considering that Wal-Mart offers grey slacks for $12 or so.

Walmart and similar low-cost retail suppliers are unlikely to carry the big-n-tall sizes we will need, and would have no
commitment to CAP to continue production of given style or color of garment.

This would need to be a company geared towards making lower-run and as-needed garments such as a uniform manufacturer.
Anything consumer/retail will not suit the purpose past one season.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I really doubt that Wal-Mart is going to give a toss about CAP.

I think that if the uniform pants are going to look uniform, we still need to look in the realm of public safety.  Yes, they cost more; but they will last much longer than something you get for $12 at Wal-Mart, and when they're pressed and hemmed properly, they might look fairly squared-away.

Also, they might be made in America, something one is unlikely to find at a big-box retailer...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RickFranz

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on December 01, 2009, 06:45:59 AM

(SAME), pleated - $28.80

The thing I like about this supplier, is that we can get the slacks (male and female) plus they offer a skirt for the females that wish to wear one, all in the same color.  The price is still cheaper the price I paid for the blue slacks I bought from vanguard.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

RiverAux

Quote from: Rotorhead on December 01, 2009, 03:52:19 PM
Not in my Wal-Mart.  Was just looking about a week ago and they had nothing in gray. 

arajca

Most uniform supply companies use the same shade of gray. Heather grey is nearly identical no matter what uniform shop you get it from, Charcoal grey likewise.

Hawk200

Quote from: arajca on December 02, 2009, 04:13:28 AM
Most uniform supply companies use the same shade of gray. Heather grey is nearly identical no matter what uniform shop you get it from, Charcoal grey likewise.

They use a textiles standard. "Heather Gray" in textile color is a single specific color, not a range.

arajca

Hawk200

Quote from: arajca on December 02, 2009, 05:27:17 AM
Exactly, so why not use it?
Don't see any reason why not. Personally, I'm not in love with any particular shade. All we've got to do is pick one. I'll wear it as necessary.

IceNine

We had a discussion with our Wing CC recently about this exact topic.  It's very likely that in a few solar rotations there's going to be an executive order saying these are the official Wing Tactical Trousers, appropriate with the Golf Shirt in any setting that would be appropriate for other utility uniforms.

http://www.bdu.com/F524350020.html

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

High Speed Low Drag

Your wing or nation-wide?  As I mentioned earlier, in our wing, the same gray slacks are used for both polos and whites.

Addtl Info:  Edwards is a uniform supllier - They specialize in organizations such as ours.

Still looking for others.  Unless someone disagrees, I am disregarding any slacks that cost more than $50.00.  What is the general consensus about type material?  Pleated or Flat front?  And what color?  The industry standard are Pantone (C) colors.  If anyone has a Pantone Color Palette that can post some different shades of gray, that would be helpful.
G. St. Pierre                             

Hawk200

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on December 02, 2009, 06:05:38 AM
What is the general consensus about type material?  Pleated or Flat front?  And what color?

Don't really know much about fabric.

I'd go with a flat front, not pleated. I don't eve really understand the concept of pleated, it seems to be a style with no difference in function.

"Heather Gray" has been mentioned. May as well start with that.

arajca

Heather grey, flat front. A blended fabric would probably be best, but most dress uniforms are 100% polyester of some flavor.

AlphaSigOU

Let's try and narrow down the spec:

Black low quarters, oxfords or pumps with black socks or neutral/dark blue hose for the ladies who prefer a skirt.

Trousers/skirt/slacks: Heather gray polyester, poly/cotton or poly/wool blend, sourced through a uniform supplier. Flat front.

Belt: AF blue or black web, silver roller buckle and tip.

Shirt: Let's get away from the Van Heusen 'Aviator' shirt (it's just a brand); the shirt I prefer wearing is very similar to AF style in white. Source: http://www.pilotshirts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ROFS (short sleeve). Available in short and long sleeve, takes starch very well. Available in both tapered and relaxed fits. Gray shoulder marks, gray nameplate, ribbons optional.

Service dress jacket: LAPD blue, classic military style four pocket. Let's keep the lapels plain and move the CAP cutouts to the epaulets about midway with hard rank in the usual position. If Ma Blue still has kittens sideways over hard rank, only then would we switch to gray shoulder marks. (The AF does not have a monopoly on rank insignia.) Silver (satin, not bright) finish CAP seal buttons. No officer sleeve braid.

Flight cap: Heather gray polyester with dark blue piping. No distinction between CAP cadet (over 18), NCO, officer or general officer. Also, let's keep the style the same for both men and women. Cadets (over 18) wear grade insignia, senior members wear the SM eagle.

Service cap: Dark blue (LAPD blue) with plain leather visor. Same style as that of the AF. The cap company that supplies the military, Bernard Cap Company - www.bernardcap.com) does offer 'farts and darts' (again, the AF does not own that design) for field grade and general officers. There are other visor designs available if Ma Blue has a conniption. If we want to stay closer to 'heritage' the old Army officer's service cap did not have 'scrambled eggs' on the pinks and greens, so we could spec out a plain leather (not patent leather) visor and chinstrap for all ranks for simplicity.

Alright, my two cents' worth, before taxes take it all away. Discussion, thoughts, bricks, 2x4s?
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

wuzafuzz

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on December 02, 2009, 06:05:38 AM
Your wing or nation-wide?  As I mentioned earlier, in our wing, the same gray slacks are used for both polos and whites.

Addtl Info:  Edwards is a uniform supllier - They specialize in organizations such as ours.

Still looking for others.  Unless someone disagrees, I am disregarding any slacks that cost more than $50.00.  What is the general consensus about type material?  Pleated or Flat front?  And what color?  The industry standard are Pantone (C) colors.  If anyone has a Pantone Color Palette that can post some different shades of gray, that would be helpful.
Pleats and uniforms don't mix IMHO. Avoid sewn in creases too  :angel:

Which shade of grey do police/guard uniform shops sell?  I think I recall slate grey and nickel grey from my pre-cop security guard days. (Suppliers like Elbeco, Flying Cross, etc)   Might be nice to be able to visit a local uniform shop instead of depending on an online source.  Plus they usually have in house tailoring.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Angus

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 02, 2009, 02:40:51 PM
Let's try and narrow down the spec:

Black low quarters, oxfords or pumps with black socks or neutral/dark blue hose for the ladies who prefer a skirt.

Trousers/skirt/slacks: Heather gray polyester, poly/cotton or poly/wool blend, sourced through a uniform supplier. Flat front.

Belt: AF blue or black web, silver roller buckle and tip.

Shirt: Let's get away from the Van Heusen 'Aviator' shirt (it's just a brand); the shirt I prefer wearing is very similar to AF style in white. Source: http://www.pilotshirts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ROFS (short sleeve). Available in short and long sleeve, takes starch very well. Available in both tapered and relaxed fits. Gray shoulder marks, gray nameplate, ribbons optional.

Service dress jacket: LAPD blue, classic military style four pocket. Let's keep the lapels plain and move the CAP cutouts to the epaulets about midway with hard rank in the usual position. If Ma Blue still has kittens sideways over hard rank, only then would we switch to gray shoulder marks. (The AF does not have a monopoly on rank insignia.) Silver (satin, not bright) finish CAP seal buttons. No officer sleeve braid.

Flight cap: Heather gray polyester with dark blue piping. No distinction between CAP cadet (over 18), NCO, officer or general officer. Also, let's keep the style the same for both men and women. Cadets (over 18) wear grade insignia, senior members wear the SM eagle.

Service cap: Dark blue (LAPD blue) with plain leather visor. Same style as that of the AF. The cap company that supplies the military, Bernard Cap Company - www.bernardcap.com) does offer 'farts and darts' (again, the AF does not own that design) for field grade and general officers. There are other visor designs available if Ma Blue has a conniption. If we want to stay closer to 'heritage' the old Army officer's service cap did not have 'scrambled eggs' on the pinks and greens, so we could spec out a plain leather (not patent leather) visor and chinstrap for all ranks for simplicity.

Alright, my two cents' worth, before taxes take it all away. Discussion, thoughts, bricks, 2x4s?

I doubt we'd get that passed.  I'm sure MA Blue would have issues.  For a distinctive why do we have to try and go for the military look which we have now seen has been a problem.  Make it look more business like. Or take what we have and maybe modify it a little bit to work better.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

NC Hokie

Lets forget about a military-style uniform for now and focus on what we know Ma Blue will allow, which is the white and grey.  Standardize the shirt, slacks, belt, and blazer and then seek approval for a flight cap (to be worn ONLY when the blazer is NOT being worn) to complete the uniform.

Once that is done, suck it up for a year or two and THEN approach Ma Blue about a service coat and service cap to add to the ensemble.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Gunner C

Quote from: NC Hokie on December 02, 2009, 04:41:09 PM
Lets forget about a military-style uniform for now and focus on what we know Ma Blue will allow, which is the white and grey.  Standardize the shirt, slacks, belt, and blazer and then seek approval for a flight cap (to be worn ONLY when the blazer is NOT being worn) to complete the uniform.

Once that is done, suck it up for a year or two and THEN approach Ma Blue about a service coat and service cap to add to the ensemble.

That's probably the best way to go.  The AF is apparently pissed and we won't get anything close to what we'd like to have.  One step at a time . . .