Main Menu

Officer Epaulets

Started by mikeylikey, June 06, 2006, 03:18:38 PM

mikeylikey

Quote from: Lamh Dearg on June 13, 2006, 02:58:25 AM
"....Second Cap Officers do not have an "honorary grade".  They have a title bestowed on them by the corporation, which the AF authorized...."

CAP officers are "appointed", not commissioned, the ultimate appointing authority being the Secretary of the Air Force.
The commissioning authority for USAF, USAFR and Guard officers is the President.

Is the President the Commissioning Authority for National Guard Officers?  I saw my friends Commission and it matches the Federal Commission, but it says "The Governor of the state of Texas", not "The President of the United States of America".  Also, I thought I read that National Guard Officers must go through a Federal Recognition board which will grant the same status to their commission as those of the Active Duty/ Reserve counterpart.

What's up monkeys?

Hammer

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 13, 2006, 01:28:30 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dearg on June 13, 2006, 02:58:25 AM
"....Second Cap Officers do not have an "honorary grade".  They have a title bestowed on them by the corporation, which the AF authorized...."

CAP officers are "appointed", not commissioned, the ultimate appointing authority being the Secretary of the Air Force.
The commissioning authority for USAF, USAFR and Guard officers is the President.

Is the President the Commissioning Authority for National Guard Officers?  I saw my friends Commission and it matches the Federal Commission, but it says "The Governor of the state of Texas", not "The President of the United States of America".  Also, I thought I read that National Guard Officers must go through a Federal Recognition board which will grant the same status to their commission as those of the Active Duty/ Reserve counterpart.

No, National Guard Officers are Federally Commissioned.  I just asked my Uncle that question like a month or so ago.  As for the Federal Recognition Board, I've never heard of it.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: md132 on June 12, 2006, 01:51:18 PM
CAP officer ranks (FO - BGen) are honorary grades and are not entitled a salute by AD  personnel.

Just up to Brig Gen?  What about the Nat/CC (a Maj Gen)? 

He's a civilian as well, and the last time I checked, he doesn't rate a salute from even the newest Airman/Private who passes by him, either.

Hammer

Quote from: CALcadet144 on June 14, 2006, 12:59:09 AM
CAP officer ranks (FO - BGen) are honorary grades and are not entitled a salute by AD  personnel.

Just up to Brig Gen?  What about the Nat/CC (a Maj Gen)? 

He's a civilian as well, and the last time I checked, he doesn't rate a salute from even the newest Airman/Private who passes by him, either.

Very true, C/SSgt Ramos!

Psicorp

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 12, 2006, 02:51:19 PM
I'm sure that another problem that AF has is the fact that some Sm's think that they are REAL officer's when they are not.  If they are/retired officer is one thing but it is another with a non-prior service member does it.  I recently saw one such SM at APG one day and saw him grilling an Army PVT for not saluting him.  This SM was a TFO as well.  I was there for a Challenge registration and was in an SDF uniform (SSG).  Went up to this SM, Id's my self to the SM and informed him that he cannot do what he just did.  Not even an AD NCO does that.  Of course the TFO was Pod with me but walked away.  I apologized to the PVT and told him that not all CAP members are like that.  He said, "Thank you, SGT" and left.  So non-compliance of the height and weight standards is not the only concern AF has.  If you aren't an AD/Res/ANG/Rte officer, enlisted personnel do not have to render a salute and you can not correct them on it.  CAP officer ranks (FO - Ben) are honorary grades and are not entitled a salute by AD  personnel.  They are not restricted though.  I had an AF Amen ask me the question of whether he should render a salute to me or not and I told him it's not required.  Also as an SDF NCO they are not required to stand a parade rest in front of me.  They may do so if they wish.

I certany hope that the PVT had enough sense to realize the CAP TFO was not an officer to begin with.  Non-Cap people have no idea what the lines on his epaulet mean.  They do however know what officer insignia look like.  If I were him, I would have walked away the moment this guy said "I am an officer, salute me". 
Second Cap Officers do not have an "honorary grade".  They have a title bestowed on them by the corporation, which the AF authorized.  Finally, you were no better than the TFO, when you went in your SDF NCO uniform and lectured him, and introduced yourself to the PVT as an NCO.  Maybe I am wrong, but you did exactly what you saw the other guy do, just in a different manner. 
  Lastly, where I work, I have CAP Officers around most every day on the Post.  Even as an AD Captain, I still salute those Cap Officers that outrank me.  It really does boil down to respect.  You will find this practice on most installations where both CAP and military reside.

As I told my cadets when I was a cadet commander:  A salute is a show of respect, think of it as a wave hello and a handshake put into one.   You don't have to know or even like the person you greet in this manner, but a person in uniform, especially someone active duty, [darn] well deserves your respect.   While there may be people you should/must salute, there is no regulation about who you cannot salute.   Two NCOs can salute one another just as well as an NCO can salute an officer.  I have even known an Air Force base commander who frequently intentionally rendered a salute to NCOs.  Once again, it's all about the respect.  To dicker about who salutes who is counter-productive.  It's my opinion that an active duty E-1 outranks non-prior-service CAP General and while the E-1 might mistake a CAP General as being an Air Force officer or an officer of another country, it really should be the CAP General saluting the E-1.    Egos are murder on espirit de corp.

Just my one cent worth (two cents before taxes).
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257