Main Menu

Uniform Wear

Started by captrncap, May 17, 2006, 06:11:01 PM

captrncap

Can anyone give me guidance to whether a CAP member can wear the AF style uniform to a non-CAP but military activities (such as Fleet Week or an air show (Blue Angels))?

md132

according to CAPM 39-1 it is optional when attending activities on military installations only.  You could probably ask your squadron commander to see what he/she says.  Example is that when I have an SDF dinner at Ft Meade I usually wear my CAP mess dress. And at a friend's change of command and retirement ceramonies I would wear my service blues because they were on military installations.  If they weren't I would wear civilian alternatives.

A1Steaksauce

I've always been told to consult my squadron commander before wearing my uniform to any non-CAP activity.

cadetnelson

Page 6, CAPM 39-1:  The box "Wear" is checked for:

"visiting military installations. Members will make every effort to
comply with local installation uniform policy. If policy is not
known, the CAP-USAF state director or the installation's public
affairs office may be contacted for guidance."

If the air show is on a military installation, I would say you could wear it.  If not, then I would not wear it.  I would also double check with your squadron commander.
C/Amn Nelson

shorning

Quote from: cadetnelson on May 25, 2006, 09:58:50 PM
If the air show is on a military installation, I would say you could wear it.  If not, then I would not wear it.

But...you shouldn't wear it "just because".  If you're doing CAP business, then it would be appropriate to wear a uniform.  If you're going to the airshow on your own, then it would not be appropriate.  There is not one good reason why an individaul member needs to wear their uniform to the airshow.  What to recruit?  Do it as part of your squadron. 

I understand the psychology behind wanting to "look cool" by wearing the uniform.  Personally, I'd rather "be cool" and dress more appropriately for the weather. 

Edit:  Fixed spelling...

MIKE

Quote from: shorning on May 25, 2006, 10:54:59 PM
But...you shouldn't wear it "just because".  If you're doing CAP business, then it would be appropriate to wear a uniform.  If you're going to the airshow on your own, then it would not be appropriate.  There is not one good reason why an individaul member needs to wear their uniform to the airshow.  What to recruit?  Do it as part of your squadron.

What colonel Horning really meant to type.

Emphasis mine.
Mike Johnston

shorning

Quote from: MIKE on May 26, 2006, 12:11:14 AM
What colonel Horning really meant to type.

Exactly. ;D  Thanks!

cadetnelson

I didn't mean to say to wear it to "look cool", but the regs make it sound like if you're visiting a military installation that you should wear it.  I think if it was only for CAP business it would state so or have the X in the box for "Optional".  But, that's a fairly strict interpretation.

Personally, I don't wear mine on bases for air shows, and stuff, but I do know people who have.  But I think if you wanted to go strictly by 39-1, you would because it says to wear it when visiting a military installation.
C/Amn Nelson

shorning

Quote from: cadetnelson on May 26, 2006, 04:53:59 AM
I think if it was only for CAP business it would state so or have the X in the box for "Optional". 

CAP regs cover CAP business.  They can not be guides on every aspect of your life.

cadetnelson

Well, besides.....I neglected to notice the all important, boldface type at the top of the chart anyway: "When conducting CAP business"  ;D  So there you have it.  Unless you're officially with your squadron doing CAP stuff, I would definitely not wear it to the air show/military base, etc.
C/Amn Nelson