Main Menu

BDU

Started by captrncap, May 14, 2006, 04:40:19 AM

shorning

Ugh!

ACU  = Army uniform

ABU = future Air Force uniform

They are not the same, nor are they interchangeable.  Not pointing fingers, just clarifying.

lordmonar

To back up CAPRANGER...in my 20+ years with the Air Force I have always taken my uniforms to the cleaners and gotten them starched.  Was it REQUIRED?  No.  Was it looked down on if you did not starch them or laundered them yourself?  No (assuming you did iron them).

So...what do we have...we have s coperate mentality that starch "looks better".

Is this right or wrong....it does not really matter.  It all depends on what you are trying to say with your uniform.

As for ABU for CAP....I think this is a great opportunity for CAP to finally transition to a "uniform" uniform system.

As BDU's start becoming hard to get we can transition to the BBDU Field uniform.  It is still military enough that we keep the military image, it is distinctive enough to keep our identity as CAP, and finally it will be uniform.

There is a great argument to transition to the ABU's to keep our identity with our parent organization....however, with the issue of getting approval for everything we want to put on them, the requirement to maintain weight and grooming standards and the mish-mash of differing uniforms, we are at an window of opportunity to correct a major sticking point in the CAP uniform system.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ZigZag911

Quote from: MIKE on August 16, 2006, 03:41:34 PM
You could make that argument if the Minimum Basic Service Uniform was really the uniform for cadeting around in and you only needed a utility uniform for ES functions.  But since it's not... You're gonna have some pissed off cadets and some seniors, when you tell them they can't wear the Air Force style utility uniform for doing cadet things in.

I don't agree with the arguments that since somebody either can't or doesn't wish to wear Air Force style uniforms, that everyone else should have to wear CAP distinctives because of uniformity... but really because they can't wear it, so nobody should.

I realize there will be displeasure among many cadets and even some seniors.

As I mentioned, I was a cadet some years ago....I doubt if, at that time, I'd have seen the reasoning I am setting forth now, either.

Frankly, I don't think Young Marines, JROTC of any discreption, or any other youth organization member (or adult leader) belongs in the actual uniform of a military service, particularly not their combat uniform....sends the wrong message to the members, and to the public.

It's not about who can't meet grooming standards....it's about uniformity, and setting the correct tone for CAP....we are non-combatant civilians....pride in our Air Force heritage and connection is great, but I really feel it should be reflected in our insignia, flags & guidons, customs & courtesies....just not the uniforms!

I realize many will disagree with me on this point, as is their right!