Adding a pen pocket to the BDU

Started by Eclipse, March 17, 2009, 03:51:10 PM

Major Carrales

Quote from: O-Rex on March 18, 2009, 05:16:24 PM
The Khaki uniform itself was derived from a field modification: British soldiers in India in the late 19th century dyed their tropical white uniforms tan to avoid getting picked off by snipers-that color became a standard uniform color the world over for nearly a century.

Yes, I've read that this dying was actually done with tea.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Senior

Eclipse, the US Army NBC NCO Course taught me that the opening is for the
dosimeter.  Yes my cadets hang the ISR through the opening.  It works and
it is practical but it is not right.  I have never used the bottom pockets on
my BDU top in the Army or CAP. :) 

Eclipse

Something like this?

Me either on the lower pockets...

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Senior on March 18, 2009, 07:56:17 PM

I'd be interested in seeing a reference for that. I hear that every now and again, and no one seems to be able to show me in writing from a reliable source.

hatentx

In the bdus the only thing I ever places in the bottom pockets were my 9 line Medivac card and such.  Usually not more than 3 or 4 pieces of paper. 

I have always used the front flap on the bdu between the buttons for wearing pens.  One of the most interesting mods I ever saw was a guy took his BDU pockets and sowed them down, but on the inside made a pocket similiar to a suit pocket and kept pens and such there.  He would just un bottom the top button and get what he needed and the buttoned it back. 

The Arm pockets on the ACUs are wonderful and in the A2CUs they give you two pockets per side.  So awesome.  The only down fall I have seen with the pen pockets on the arms are 1) not all the same size and large pens like a sharpy dont fit in all of them depending on manufacturing. and 2) the pens always broke when taking off my old style body armor (one with the flap on the chest)

Gunner C

Quote from: Senior on March 18, 2009, 07:56:17 PM
Of course he did!  Everyone in the army wears a dosimeter! [/sarcasm]  I'm thinking that it is an urban legend (based on the self-importance of the boys in Alabama (yes, NBC is important, it's just that it's not imporant enough for everyone to have an attachment point on their uniform) - back when the BDU came out there were probably 1 or 2 dosimeters per company, maybe fewer.  I was on a special atomic demolition team:  we had two and never used them. 

Back to your regularly scheduled firefight. . .

Al Sayre

I wear one every day, but it won't fit the BDU slot.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Gunner C

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 19, 2009, 08:16:51 PM
Someone had to wear it.  Just sayin'.  ;D

Stonewall

On one of my NCO boards or soldier of the year boards I was asked this question.  The answer, acording to the Army Study Guide was cooks could place their thermometers there.  That's all I got.
Serving since 1987.

Al Sayre

Quote from: Gunner C on March 19, 2009, 09:16:27 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on March 19, 2009, 08:16:51 PM
Someone had to wear it.  Just sayin'.  ;D

Well, I do work at a nuclear plant...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

es_g0d

Here's a handy tip that even my TI would approve:

If you want to clip a pen somewhere on your BDUs, avoid the attention (justified or not) of putting it in the hole on the left breast pocket.

Instead, clip your pen in between the material where the buttons are buttoned and the front of the blouse.  There's a nice little horizontal enclosed place there that will hide the item from view yet still keep it handy for use.  No sewing necessary.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Eclipse

Quote from: es_g0d on March 20, 2009, 08:52:32 AM
Instead, clip your pen in between the material where the buttons are buttoned and the front of the blouse.  There's a nice little horizontal enclosed place there that will hide the item from view yet still keep it handy for use.  No sewing necessary.

We've mentioned this a few times, but I must admit it was a revelation for me the first time someone showed it to me as a newb.

The biggest problem I've had is its so unobtrusive there I tend to leave them in there when I have them cleaned.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Well, when I put my similar pen in the corresponding location on my BBDUs, it shows, unless I button the top button. Back to the drawing board.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Is there something wrong with the shirt?  I've never known anyone to have an issue like that.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Nope. Considering that your shirt is a size or two larger than mine, mine might not be long enough in that area, or the fabric strip runs up higher inside the shirt.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Always Ready

Maybe you make a small cut in the material lower than the top to clip the pen on. I'd reinforce the edges of the cut though. Otherwise it will just fray, but it should work.

Eclipse

All of mine, camo & blue have the slot running open all the down - it sticks out the top?  Are you wearing like a G.I. Joe shirt?   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Nah, they are Propper brand.

After comparing my shirt to your picture, it looks like my button strip is cut higher/longer. I have almost three clip lengths between the top of the strip and the buttonhole below the top, using the pen cap clip as a measure.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CrewDog

Try hooking your pen to the flap behind the button area. It conceals the pen and yet it's handy.  Sewing pockets closed is a rediculous technique utilized by Air Force Office workers who really have no need to wear BDUs in the first place.  Respectfully submitted (Non-office worker)

Eclipse

Quote from: O-Rex on March 18, 2009, 01:33:46 PM
If you want a pen pocket, like the ABU or ACU, you can unstitch the little pen pocket that's inside the left breast pocket of the BDU then sew it to the lower left sleeve.

I pulled an unserviceable blouse apart to see if this was even feasible.  Unfortunately the material is only about 1/2 the size of a regular pen, so unless you're stylin' the Fisher Bullet-sized Space Pen, it would be sticking out/falling out, etc. 

I think, though that someone who was really motivated could cut a strip out of the pattern of an old shirt and match the camo so close you'd never seen it.

I was also looking at maybe a slot at the sleeve cuff inside the sleeve.

Just musing...

"That Others May Zoom"