Adding a pen pocket to the BDU

Started by Eclipse, March 17, 2009, 03:51:10 PM

Eclipse

One of the thing that always strikes me as a good addition on the ACU's is the pen pocket on the lower arm.
My using similar material, my tailor has said she could add this to my BDU's and field uniforms in a professional
manner.

Two questions - a violation of 39-1?  I do, after all, have a rep as the uniform Stazi.

Second, for those who wear that uniform, are these a good idea or uncomfortable?

Right now, of course, I would never use the pen slot on the left breast BDU pocket - not only don't I like the look of the pen sticking out, but nothing screams "professional" like having the "I" in "CIVIL" all filled in with blue or black ink.  My bullet-sized space pen with stylus tip always goes in the button slot inside the front of the shirt.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

ABUs have pen slots on the sleeve but I don't use them.  I did at first, but I found that when I bend my arm or throughout the duty day as I'm lifting, pushing or otherwise manipulating my arm, the pens which are rigid, end up getting pushed out of their slot.

When I'm working on the firing range, I use the pen pocket on the outside of the calf area in the pants to keep my Sharpie markers for grading targets.  I keep my pen where I used to keep it in my BDUs, inside the button hole slot inside my chest area.

In short, I have had more hassle than it's worth with the sleeve pent pocket.  They fall out.
Serving since 1987.

Al Sayre

Why not just have her add a slot on the inside of the breast pocket?  then you can clip it there, it's secure, and no one sees it?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

arajca

As for your first question, yes. Since your are making an unauthorized modification to a uniform, it is a violation of the Uniform Stazi bible CAPM 39-1.

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 17, 2009, 04:15:59 PM
Why not just have her add a slot on the inside of the breast pocket?  then you can clip it there, it's secure, and no one sees it?

I don't like to put anything in the pockets as it makes the uniform look baggie (I'm not going to the extreme of pulling the buttons and sewing them down, and will keep flat objects in them if I have to, but in general I try to avoid using them).

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on March 17, 2009, 04:37:08 PM

I don't like to put anything in the pockets as it makes the uniform look baggie (I'm not going to the extreme of pulling the buttons and sewing them down, and will keep flat objects in them if I have to, but in general I try to avoid using them).

Are BDU pockets meant to be "useless?"  I know the service shirt and coat pockets are meant to be "flat," but I believed that field uniforms were meant for field use.  That means occasionally putting things in the pockets (if nessary to some degress).

Educate me please...
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 17, 2009, 04:45:14 PM

Are BDU pockets meant to be "useless?"  I know the service shirt and coat pockets are meant to be "flat," but I believed that field uniforms were meant for field use.  That means occasionally putting things in the pockets (if nessary to some degress).

Educate me please...

Not at all - this is purely a personal aesthetic thing.  I use the pants pockets for anything I can fit in them, but I've got enough bulges all over the place without adding to the bulk with a lot of stuff in the upper pockets.

We've got a few seniors, and more than a few cadets, who pull the buttons and sew down the pockets - I'm always 1/2 jokingly telling them that I'm going to write a Group SOP that requires the form 60 be in the pocket so they have to undo their handy work.   :D

But to the question, no, the BDU pockets are there to be used...

"That Others May Zoom"

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 17, 2009, 04:45:14 PM

Educate me please...

What are you crazy as soon as you get a new BDU blouse you should get the thread and needle out and close up the pockets. At least that is what some people think; I even know people who have sown their sleeves in the rolled up position. I'm with eclipse keep them flat if possible but if you have to put something in them than thats fine. I do however have a BDU louse with the pockets sown down because it was impossible to keep the edges from curling.

Fifinella

Quote from: NCO forever on March 17, 2009, 04:55:06 PM
I do however have a BDU louse with the pockets sown down because it was impossible to keep the edges from curling.
Ya gotta hate those BDU lice.  itchy.  ;)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Hawk200

Quote from: NCO forever on March 17, 2009, 04:55:06 PMWhat are you crazy as soon as you get a new BDU blouse you should get the thread and needle out and close up the pockets. At least that is what some people think; I even know people who have sown their sleeves in the rolled up position. I'm with eclipse keep them flat if possible but if you have to put something in them than thats fine. I do however have a BDU louse with the pockets sown down because it was impossible to keep the edges from curling.

I find the confusion between the service uniforms and utility uniforms amusing. BDU's are meant to work in. Sewing down the pockets is impractical. If you have to have a perfectly flat uniform, wear blues.

What kind of excuse would you use on a SAREX or actual mission? "Oh, I couldn't bring a pen, notepad, my keys, wallet, etc. because my pockets are sewn down. I look pretty, though, don't I?"

A lot of people do that in the Air Force, even sewing down leg and back pockets as well. Gotta love the ones that need a pen, or a piece of paper, or need to borrow some money, because they can't carry it.

EMT-83

I replaced the buttons on my BDU blouse pockets with velcro. It lays flat, and it's much easier to get into the pockets.

Stonewall

Military

People who sew down pockets:  Administrators, the same folks who iron/starch uniforms that instruct you not to.

People who don't sew down pockets:  Operators, the folks who spend time in the field and may need to use a pocket.

CAP

People who sew down pockets:  People that saw someone in the military do it so it must be the thing to do.

People who don't sew down pockets:  Those who see things through a practical sense and realize that flat pockets that serve no purpose are a waste.
Serving since 1987.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 17, 2009, 05:44:22 PM
I replaced the buttons on my BDU blouse pockets with velcro. It lays flat, and it's much easier to get into the pockets.

I like that idea might have to try it with my BDU's.

Fifinella

Quote from: Stonewall on March 17, 2009, 05:47:00 PM
Military
People who sew down pockets
Never was an issue in flightsuits.  ;D
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

NIN

My BDU shirt pockets are sewn down.  They're like a thousand times easier to deal with that way.

I *never* put thing  in my shirt pockets, though, even before I ever did that.

Pants pockets? Yeah, go nuts.    Shirt?  Don't bother.

As for the Combat Administrator Award (the "Pen over the I"), well, I think it looks sloppy, so I just don't do it.

Had a guy in the sq that met at the local Air Guard base once, he was a real rag bag.  NOTHING we could do would sort this guy out and his unit commander seemed like he was uninterested in doing anything to help, too. (this is before the Blue BDUs)   He would show up to group activities with not only something IN every pocket, but something -sticking-out-of- nearly every pocket.  I said to him "Hey, whats up with that?" and he shot back "well, if they didn't want me to put something in them, they shouldn't have put them on the uniform in the first place..."

*sigh*

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: Fifinella on March 17, 2009, 05:24:23 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on March 17, 2009, 04:55:06 PM
I do however have a BDU louse with the pockets sown down because it was impossible to keep the edges from curling.
Ya gotta hate those BDU lice.  itchy.  ;)

And I was wondering what kind of seeds he's using.  ;D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davedove

Quote from: NIN on March 17, 2009, 06:56:45 PM
and he shot back "well, if they didn't want me to put something in them, they shouldn't have put them on the uniform in the first place..."

Well, although I agree that some folks go overboard, it is a valid statement, especially for a work uniform.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jimmydeanno

As for the Combat Administrator Award (the "Pen over the I"), well, I think it looks sloppy, so I just don't do it.

Oddly enough, AFM 36-2903 says "In order to present the proper military image pencils and pens will be concealed. (EXCEPTION: When carried in compartment of left BDU pocket not to exceed two.)"

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 17, 2009, 07:14:22 PM

Oddly enough, AFM 36-2903 says "In order to present the proper military image pencils and pens will be concealed. (EXCEPTION: When carried in compartment of left BDU pocket not to exceed two.)"

The 39-1 says something along that line to.

Eclipse

Maybe its a wives tale, but I was under the impression that all the pockets were to be buttoned closed at all times, negating the stuff sticking out of them issue. Full, sure, but not hanging open.

As to the pen in the BDU pocket, the problem is that its rare you notice a camouflage space pen or something similar, it usually somebody with a Hello Kitty or Rainbow Bright multi-color deal with tip bright enough to use as a range flare. 

"That Others May Zoom"