Army ACUs as a CAP uniform

Started by blackrain, September 15, 2008, 10:13:15 AM

JayT

Quote from: KyCAP on October 20, 2008, 12:52:03 AM
How about applying the converse to that logic?   One could also argue that the CLOSER the CAP uniform is to the USAF uniform ABU then the LESS likely folks would be to wear it that are outside of the weight and grooming standards because it WOULD be policed more closely?   Personally, let's set the standard higher for the USAF uniforms, not wider (tongue in cheek) to give us an OUT by wearing ultramarine name tapes.   

I have NEVER seen anyone in a Green NOMEX flight suit with a beard or overweight.

I have. Plently.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

PHall

Quote from: KyCAP on October 20, 2008, 12:52:03 AM
I have NEVER seen anyone in a Green NOMEX flight suit with a beard or overweight.

Been to many search bases?  I can't ever remember even one mission, actual or exercise, where we didn't have at least one member wearing the Green Bag who didn't meet the weight and grooming standards.

And the vast majority of the offenders are members who have been in CAP for more then 3 years.
So it's not like they were brand new and didn't know or anything.

DNall

Quote from: RiverAux on October 20, 2008, 01:22:20 AM
QuoteI was trying to be subtle and point out that CAP and USAF are hashing out the adoption of the ABU while the Army Cadet program has had the Army blessing to adopt the ACU faster than we can shake a stick.
Just because someone is wearing a uniform does not necessarily mean that they have been authorized to wear it. 

If CAP was not the Air Force auxiliary we could wear the BDUs we have right now without asking permission from anyone in the military.  And we could switch to ABUs right now with the name tags as well.  Since the ACA isn't actually formally affilitiated with the Army, they can get away with a lot more.  Should the time come when they are actually an Army program, things will change for them. 

This is absolutely 100% correct. USAC wears ACUs cause they just decided they would, and that includes all the insignia/tapes/etc. They did not seek authorization from the Army to wear them, nor does Army have any say in what distinguishing insignia means.

AF is charged by congress with oversight of CAP in compliance with federal law. That includes the provisions of 10 USC which protect military uniforms & require distinguishing "stuff" to point out that they are not the military.

AF has chosen to enforce that rather strictly at times in the past, there has also been a lot of politics involved between the two sides, and CAP has done most of the jacked up uniform damage to ourselves.

ACUs have been around for a long time & the full Army is transitioned to them now. ABUs just came out a year or so ago. They are still in transition. CAP will be approved to wear ABUs in the near future, and they won't look all jacked up. Until that happens, please relax and be patient.

citizensoldier

Quote from: CAPLAW on October 20, 2008, 12:35:11 AM
Good point.  I would just like to see CAP use olive drab BDU'S.

What he said.
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

DNall

Quote from: citizensoldier on October 20, 2008, 02:33:55 PM

What he said.
Doesn't really matter what you want.

We belong to the AF, so we wear AF based uniforms. Even if CAP didn't want to, we would be required to keep that as a prevalent option in order maintain the psychological link to that parent organization - ie remember to dance with the one that brung you.

It is also done because the large supply chain to uniform AF personnel keeps costs low & produces surpluses, both of which are utilized to minimize the costs of participation (primarily with cadets in mind).

Let me say this one more time.... ABUs will be authorized for sure. That was stated by AF before the pattern was even finalized, much less authorized or distributed to AF personnel. I know the proposal is under review. I believe ABU will be authorized for wear before the end of 2009. They will not look unprofessional and clownish as the current BDUs do. If you don't meet ht/wt standards, wear the BBDU which looks just like Coast Guard. Now drive on.

notaNCO forever

^^ Coast Guard has a different blouse than us.

DNall

Quote from: NCO forever on October 20, 2008, 07:46:53 PM
^^ Coast Guard has a different blouse than us.

Not that I'm aware of. The ODU is BBDUs. The only difference I know of is the cargo pockets on the pants are velcro closure. I've seen some proposed/new stuff for them with an urban camo kind of pattern that has a CG crest on the pocket, but that's not to my knowledge on the current ODU.

notaNCO forever

I thought they tucked the blouses in and had only two not four pockets. At least thats what I've seen Coast Guard members in my state wear, maybe they have two types of uniforms.

DNall

citizensoldier

Quote from: DNall on October 20, 2008, 07:33:13 PM
Quote from: citizensoldier on October 20, 2008, 02:33:55 PM

What he said.
Doesn't really matter what you want.

We belong to the AF, so we wear AF based uniforms. Even if CAP didn't want to, we would be required to keep that as a prevalent option in order maintain the psychological link to that parent organization - ie remember to dance with the one that brung you.

It is also done because the large supply chain to uniform AF personnel keeps costs low & produces surpluses, both of which are utilized to minimize the costs of participation (primarily with cadets in mind).

Let me say this one more time.... ABUs will be authorized for sure. That was stated by AF before the pattern was even finalized, much less authorized or distributed to AF personnel. I know the proposal is under review. I believe ABU will be authorized for wear before the end of 2009. They will not look unprofessional and clownish as the current BDUs do. If you don't meet ht/wt standards, wear the BBDU which looks just like Coast Guard. Now drive on.

Driven on through more than this.  I figure even if we are going to the ABU there is still room to discuss opinions on the subject.  
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

MIKE

I think this thread has run it's course since we're now talking about ODUs.

For the record: DNall, stay in your lane.  The Operational Dress Uniform is not Blue BDUs.  With both the tuck in version and the new untucked version being distinctly different than some off the rack blue BDU as used by CAP.  What LEDETs or the DOG may or may not wear commercial blue BDUs is irrelevant.
Mike Johnston