Army ACUs as a CAP uniform

Started by blackrain, September 15, 2008, 10:13:15 AM

blackrain

I would like to know everyone's opinion on the use of Army ACUs as a uniform for the CAP. (Especially DNall and other Army types) Given that nearly everything is attached with velcro I don't see why we couldn't use the blue CAP tapes and rank etc...etc...on the ACU and just attach them with velcro. Actually we have a number of attached Air Force and Navy types over here who put their services insignia on the ACU. Here it is primarily so everyone looks the same in the field. (With snipers and such running around)

ACUs are lighter and cooler(temperature wise) too.

On side note to Dnall, has Texas floated away.......... :-[
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

DC

It makes sense to have everyone in the same uniform is a war zone, but I really don't see the point in having CAP, the Air Force Auxiliary, adopting an Army uniform over an Air Force one.

Pylon

The Army controls use of the ACUPAT.  The Air Force had to develop the ABU because the Army would not allow other branches to utilize the ACU.  I doubt CAP would get on its list of approved agencies.

Plus, CAP is working on ABU proposals at the national level.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jacob

I at one point passed on a suggestion (didn't go anywhere) to use ACUs to replace BBDUs when CAP transitions from BDUs to ACUs.  My reasoning is that DA and DoD civilians currently wear ACUs in certain situations and do not have to meet military grooming and weight standards to do so.

Ideally, I think it'd be great if we could get everyone in the same field uniform at least.  ACUs would look closer to ABUs than BBDUs and, having worn both, I like the ACUs a lot better and they hold up better (no faded blue pajamas look) after wear.  Whether the Army would let CAP wear ACUs with distinctive insignia (e.g. blue Velcro-on tapes and rank) is above my pay grade :).

MIKE

For a CAP distinctive uniform the TRU in navy blue or OD makes some sense, as suggested by UK... but to wear an Army uniform when a similar Air Force uniform is available... And to wear a slightly different camo to skirt the AF smacks of the TPU debacle.

You wanna wear ACUs, join the ACA. *

* I take cash or checks NIN and COL Land.
Mike Johnston

jacob

Hadn't thought of using TRUs - I like that.  Same better-quality-than-BBDUs that using ACUs would give us, none of the using-the-Army's-uniform downsides.

ACA?  I think I missed a joke.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on September 15, 2008, 11:38:43 PM
For a CAP distinctive uniform the TRU in navy blue or OD makes some sense, as suggested by UK...

This is what he's talking about here.

Serving since 1987.

Rotorhead

I'd rather see CAP mandate the BBDUs. The ultramarine blue cutouts would looks better on them, and, unlike BDUs, they aren't intended to make you less visible.

Sure, it may be more fun to play RM in BDU's, but there is no real reason why CAP should wear camoflage of any type.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

lordmonar

I've seen the ACU style uniform in OD, Tan, Black, Gray, ACU, and a weird brown/red cammo pattern, I wonder if TruSpec makes a blue version.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Rotorhead on September 16, 2008, 01:19:44 AM
I'd rather see CAP mandate the BBDUs.

Ewww...

Quote from: lordmonar on September 16, 2008, 01:31:57 AM
I've seen the ACU style uniform in OD, Tan, Black, Gray, ACU, and a weird brown/red cammo pattern, I wonder if TruSpec makes a blue version.

It's called Multicam, and supposedly they have 'em in Midnight Navy.
Mike Johnston

Slim

Quote from: lordmonar on September 16, 2008, 01:31:57 AM

Indeed they do.  I have a pair of the navy blue TRU pants that I wear to work.  They're essentially the same as the ACU pants; only difference is that the blue pants have a snap closure, zipper fly, the belt loops are styled differently, and there are fewer of them.

Slim

jacob

I've seen a number of uniform proposals on here (I was a lurker for a little bit before I registered).  Has there ever been an effort to get any of them approved?  E.g. something like having members from all over submit the same recommendation through their chain of command.  I know Lt Col White had a Uniform Committee thread back, I mean besides that.

I think Stonewall's proposal (looking at the support it got in its own thread) could be a candidate for such a campaign.  I like it a whole lot more than my idea of using ACUs.  What if it was modified so it only applies to seniors; since they can get free uniforms, cadets would stay in BDUs then transition to ABUs.

citizensoldier

The only real up side I can see to using ACU's is I own alot of them.
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on September 15, 2008, 12:38:42 PMThe Air Force had to develop the ABU because the Army would not allow other branches to utilize the ACU. 

Not quite, the ACU was actually worn by a number of airmen attached to Army units for a long while. Once the ABU was fielded, the Air Force forbid its wear. A few folks in the Army took it as a slight, but it hasn't really been an issue to those higher up in the Army. It's not even something to care about to them.

Quote from: Rotorhead on September 16, 2008, 01:19:44 AM
I'd rather see CAP mandate the BBDUs. The ultramarine blue cutouts would looks better on them, and, unlike BDUs, they aren't intended to make you less visible.

The ultramarine looks like crap on just about anything. Which is why a number of people here have suggested better alternatives.

Quote from: Rotorhead on September 16, 2008, 01:19:44 AMSure, it may be more fun to play RM in BDU's, but there is no real reason why CAP should wear camoflage of any type.

Since you're new here, a friendly heads up:

1. Not everyone joins CAP to "play" military. To assume it of every CAP member is insulting.

2. The "CAP doesn't need camo" argument has been explained  and fought over for the entire time this board has been available. Putting forth that statement is baiting people here. CAP wears it because the Air Force does. That's the reason. Whether or not we should have it is up to people a lot higher than us.

CadetProgramGuy

I still believe it will be late 2010 or even into 2011 before we get a decision.  With a mandatory date of 2013-2015

O-Rex

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 16, 2008, 09:54:20 AM
I still believe it will be late 2010 or even into 2011 before we get a decision.  With a mandatory date of 2013-2015

Its not a matter of 'if' but 'when.'

Mid 2010's sounds about right.....

Boots are going to be a PITA, because I haven't found any green ones for under $100, and I'm still waiting to find 'Far-East Knock-Offs' to no avail.

Perhaps there will be a discount supplier by the time we are allowed to wear the new costumes. . .

Question for you AF flyers out there: has USAF flightsuit-wear gone to tan T-shirts and green boots?  Seen pics of folks in the sandbox wearing them with the tan bags, but not stateside.  Our CAPRAPs still wear black T's and black boots.

Rotorhead

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 16, 2008, 08:16:39 AM

1. Not everyone joins CAP to "play" military. To assume it of every CAP member is insulting.

2. The "CAP doesn't need camo" argument has been explained  and fought over for the entire time this board has been available. Putting forth that statement is baiting people here. CAP wears it because the Air Force does. That's the reason. Whether or not we should have it is up to people a lot higher than us.
I may be new here, but I am NOT new to CAP.

1. I did not say I assume that of "every" CAP member. But plenty do feel that way; I've met enough of them over the years.

2. Given that there is an alternative to camo that CAP already authorizes, there's no reason to wear camo in the first place. We don't need to hide, we need to be more visible. The BBDUs would help accomplish that goal.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

BillB

Getting BDUs for cadets is becoming a PITA. The surplus supply has dried up. Due to this, it may be the switchover date to ABUs could be moved up. New cadets can't find BDUs from the usual surplus sources. University AFROTC detachments used to be a source, but even they are having problems with BDUs and ABUs.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DC

Quote from: Rotorhead on September 16, 2008, 05:04:25 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on September 16, 2008, 08:16:39 AM

I may be new here, but I am NOT new to CAP.

1. I did not say I assume that of "every" CAP member. But plenty do feel that way; I've met enough of them over the years.

2. Given that there is an alternative to camo that CAP already authorizes, there's no reason to wear camo in the first place. We don't need to hide, we need to be more visible. The BBDUs would help accomplish that goal.

Its not like the difference in visibility is comparable to day-glo orange and black, Navy (read: dark) blue and Woodland Camo aren't much different on a scale of darkness. The orange reflective vest you are supposed to wear makes this argument totally irrelevant. CAP wears the Air Force uniform because of our ties to the Air Force. Personally I want to see that bond strengthened, not weakened. Getting rid of USAF uniforms is not going to acomplish that. Also, if you approach someone on a mission, having a military uniform on goes a long way toward your credibility.