Main Menu

Haircut

Started by Kal, March 25, 2008, 09:12:22 PM

JoeTomasone

Quote from: DC on March 26, 2008, 06:48:56 PM
Very short high and tight. It is the ultimate low maintanence hair style. I never have to comb, brush, dry, gel, spray, or any other form of hair care. I save a ton on shampoo too, because it takes so little to wash it!

Total Bulk - 0.25 inches the the highest point

Not to mention the cost savings by cutting your own hair...  6mm guide all over, then 3mm around the ears and neck.  Done!

Hawk200

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on May 21, 2008, 08:46:38 PM
I get away with the mohawk....very short mohawk that is....

Doesn't sound your unit's doing the right thing if they're allowing you to wear an actual mohawk.

Or is that sarcasm?

Dynamite

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 21, 2008, 10:23:24 PM

Doesn't sound your unit's doing the right thing if they're allowing you to wear an actual mohawk.

Or is that sarcasm?

Really short mohawks tend to look like weird flat tops from what I've seen. He might be able to get away with it like that.

PhoenixRisen

He could be referring to one of those really, really high-speed high and tights that you used to see Army Rangers frequent.  I've heard those referred to as "mohawks" before.

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 21, 2008, 10:23:24 PM

Or is that sarcasm?

Its  a hawk....its not long at all...how is it breaking any rules?  Not touching the collar no bangs, and its not touching the eaars...I can even wear it up as long as its not about I believ one inch..
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 22, 2008, 12:33:32 AM
He could be referring to one of those really, really high-speed high and tights that you used to see Army Rangers frequent.  I've heard those referred to as "mohawks" before.

Kinda like that
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Hawk200

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on May 22, 2008, 01:03:32 AM
Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 22, 2008, 12:33:32 AM

Kinda like that

Probably acceptable. A regular mohawk is an extremely faddish haircut, and not really appropriate in uniform. If you're wearing alternates, it's not really an issue. If you're wearing Air Force variants, then there's a problem.

SSgt Rudin

if it looked anything like that I might say something... probably not, but it could be considered faddish.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

afgeo4

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on March 27, 2008, 04:49:20 PM
Meant no offense btw- I have the natural look on the top as well.  Just trying to point out that the bicked sides would be considered a fad.  Technically speaking there should be a little on the side, but I have never heard anyone in the military actually tell someone their hair is too short!!
Would you like to point out to some place in CAP or even military regulations that specify what a "Fad" is?

From my personal understanding a Fad haircut is simply something that isn't natural looking. Something that's very "styled". Baldness isn't that.
GEORGE LURYE

LittleIronPilot

I know that during Desert Strom my entire squad (nicknamed the Young Guns because NO ONE was over 21 at the time but the sq.ldr) all got real short mohawks in the field.

Hawk200

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on May 22, 2008, 04:25:05 AM

if it looked anything like that I might say something... probably not, but it could be considered faddish.

The one I'm thinking of wouldn't, but just barely. I've seen a lot of grunts and Ranger types that wear what is basically a high and tight, with the top cut just narrow enough on the top to stretch the boundaries of the regulation, rather than outright exceed them. The haircut is legal, but barely.

I don't see any real point to a cadet having one, but if that's what he wants, so be it. With my own cadets, I would tolerate it, but I would tell them that getting such a haircut is more than they need. Neither a standard conservative haircut, nor a high and tight really show me anything about them. Have a proper uniform, shave,  put some polish on their boots, show up to meetings on time, do their best on tests are things that will raise my opinion of them more than just a high and tight.

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 22, 2008, 04:31:27 PM
Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on May 22, 2008, 04:25:05 AM

The one I'm thinking of wouldn't, but just barely. I've seen a lot of grunts and Ranger types that wear what is basically a high and tight, with the top cut just narrow enough on the top to stretch the boundaries of the regulation, rather than outright exceed them. The haircut is legal, but barely.

I don't see any real point to a cadet having one, but if that's what he wants, so be it. With my own cadets, I would tolerate it, but I would tell them that getting such a haircut is more than they need. Neither a standard conservative haircut, nor a high and tight really show me anything about them. Have a proper uniform, shave,  put some polish on their boots, show up to meetings on time, do their best on tests are things that will raise my opinion of them more than just a high and tight.

Thats a good point...

Duplicate of quote above snipped. - MIKE

Yeah I mean a do all that....BUT C.A,P is not my entire life...what I do on the outside, well where I work requires a little  bit of standing out.....So as long as I do what you listed off....Well that is what I do I don't think people should not say anything about your hair as long as it's not breaking any of the regs,...
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Becks

You're probably referring to whats known as the "Recon-Cut".  Its an extreme high and tight that if done all the way looks like a very short mohawk.  A little wider and it becomes the "4 fingers of death" due to the total breadth of the hair being only about 4 fingers width across.

Personally I usually have something like this,

BBATW

Gunner C

^ Quote of above snipped - MIKE

When I was an SF detachment commander I had a former ranger who came in with a haircut like that.  I told him that if he wanted to keep his job he'd better do his best to grow some hair.  We didn't allow high & tights. For most of my career I had what some would call a low and loose.  I required all my folks to wear their hair a bit longer on the sides - not over the ears, but not shaved and definitely blocked in the back.

In most countries the haircuts above are found on basic trainees and prisoners.  We also didn't want to stand out.  For CAP, my guidance was always keep your hair neat but not long.  If your haircut makes you look out of place in civil society, then it's too short.  YMMV

GC

TEAM SURGE

Yeah.....well I like the hawk look...
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

mikeylikey

I just tell the barber at the AFB to use a number 4 setting all over, and block the back.  It comes out clean and sexy and does not need cut again for at least 2.45 weeks. 

I have been in commands where there was a haircut policy.  I hated it.  In defiance when I was a 2LT, I shaved my head and took my letter in my local file.  Good thing those local letters of admonishment or concern get shredded when you transfer from the unit.   >:D 
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

^ #4 holy cow you hippie!  ;D

I'm sporting a #1 on the sides and finger length on the top.  My hair dresser also gives me a scalp and hand massage.  ;)

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

I go with a #2 on the top and nothing more than stubble on the sides. I don't shave the sides though.... When I'm fresh from a haircut it sort of looks like I've got a longish 5 o'clock shadow around my head...

1sgtarcherCT062

i find it a lot easier to just shave it off, then to worry about length, and if its touching my ears and whatnot

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2008, 06:11:35 PM
Quote from: Kal on March 26, 2008, 04:58:45 AM
Ok, cut hair so max. length (if spiked) is under 1.25 in, got it.

So how do you wear your hat with spiked hair?

By the time I get to CAP meetings, I am just getting out of football practice or wrestling practice depending what season it is, and me hair is still spiked but kinda laying down! Normally I dont spike it at CAP activities....
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"