Main Menu

Haircut

Started by Kal, March 25, 2008, 09:12:22 PM

Kal

Ok. Regs say 1 1/4 inch in bulk, regardless of length. What is bulk?

Hawk200

Bulk refers to how high it actually stands off your scalp. If you put a ruler on your scalp, the hair should not be standing any higher than that measurement above your scalp.

CAP006

Well I've been in CAP for over three years and I've had my hair at a nice, clean cut with the "bulk" (so to speak) at 2 to 3 inches and haven't been told to cut it any shorter.
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

Maj Ballard

You're still out of regulations, regardless of whether anyone told you.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: CAP006 on March 25, 2008, 09:57:45 PM
Well I've been in CAP for over three years and I've had my hair at a nice, clean cut with the "bulk" (so to speak) at 2 to 3 inches and haven't been told to cut it any shorter.

I imagine that you're not near a military installation. You would have been corrected rather quickly.

Second, just because you haven't been told to correct it, doesn't mean it isn't wrong. If you continue to wear it improperly, you're ignoring the manual.

So the question is, do you want to do it the right way, or your own way?

Kal

Any particular spot you are supposed to measure from? (on your scalp)

DNall

That would be whatever the thickest point is. And just for the record, 1.25 inches in bulk is a whole lot of hair.

Kal

I have a flat top, and in the front, I get measurements between 1-1.5 in, and at the lowest, I get .25-1 in.  Do I average them out, or just take the 1-1.5?

Tubacap

I hope someday to have .25 inches of hair... alas those days are gone.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

lordmonar

Quote from: Kal on March 25, 2008, 10:46:50 PM
I have a flat top, and in the front, I get measurements between 1-1.5 in, and at the lowest, I get .25-1 in.  Do I average them out, or just take the 1-1.5?

No....you take the largest measurement.....so you got to cut the long stuff in front.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PhoenixRisen

I live and go to CAP in one of the largest military cities in the US.  Despite meeting on and ANG Station, the area I'm in is predominiantly Marine Corps (as MCAS Miramar is right across the freeway).  I haven't been able to cut my hair for a few weeks (due to a surgery I just had), and I'm not going to my meeting in uniform tonight because of that.  My hair isn't even an inch in length, and I still feel it's too long.  

How's that for uptight?   :P

Pylon

Quote from: lordmonar on March 26, 2008, 12:43:41 AM
...so you got to cut the long stuff in front.

Or let it grow longer so it lays down flat.   :)

Just before my most recent haircut, my hair was about 4.5" in length.  But it was never close to even an 1" in bulk at any point.  It's more what you do with your hair than anything else.  If your hair is standing up straight 1.5", that's pretty crazy... add some mousse or a styling product to get it to lay down a bit, which will effectively reduce "bulk".
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Jolt

I think you're confusing bulk and hair length.  Jeez!  Two to three inches of bulk is a LOT of hair!  Two to three inches for hair length seems reasonable, though.

SarDragon

Just as an example, a really bulky heirstyle would be a '60s or '70s 'Fro. Now they were bulky.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

Quote from: Pylon on March 26, 2008, 01:30:16 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 26, 2008, 12:43:41 AM
...so you got to cut the long stuff in front.

Or let it grow longer so it lays down flat.   :)

Just before my most recent haircut, my hair was about 4.5" in length.  But it was never close to even an 1" in bulk at any point.  It's more what you do with your hair than anything else.  If your hair is standing up straight 1.5", that's pretty crazy... add some mousse or a styling product to get it to lay down a bit, which will effectively reduce "bulk".

Do you take appointments Mike?  Opening your own salon soon??   :D
What's up monkeys?

wingnut

Gunner C

I had a black team sergeant while on AD who pretty good sense of humor.  He did a rap about our team that included:

My name is Jesse
And that's not all
My hair's not long
It's just tall

;D

Kal

Ok, cut hair so max. length (if spiked) is under 1.25 in, got it.

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 26, 2008, 03:20:47 AM
Do you take appointments Mike?  Opening your own salon soon??   :D

First appointment for you is free!   Does "Smooth scalp with some nicks and missed patches of hair" sound about right?  Because that would be the extent of my abilities.   ;D

Let me know when you can get in for a trim...
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: Kal on March 26, 2008, 04:58:45 AM

So how do you wear your hat with spiked hair?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DC

Very short high and tight. It is the ultimate low maintanence hair style. I never have to comb, brush, dry, gel, spray, or any other form of hair care. I save a ton on shampoo too, because it takes so little to wash it!

Total Bulk - 0.25 inches the the highest point

DNall

Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2008, 06:11:35 PM

Cut holes out for the spikes to stick thru, of course. Jeez! Amateurs.  ;D

Walkman

Hair, who needs hair!?

(I did lose the chin fuzz so as to meet AF standards)

LtCol Hooligan

Sorry- but that is called a fad.  That haircut is not regulation.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on March 26, 2008, 08:42:54 PM
Sorry- but that is called a fad.  That haircut is not regulation.

Unless he is balding, then it is authorized.   ;)
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Walkman

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 26, 2008, 09:24:52 PM
Unless he is balding, then it is authorized.   ;)

Yup. I'm a baldy. I shave the sides because I was tired of the middle-age-dad look.

chiles

Right there with you! I shaved my head when deployed for Katrina and we didn't have working showers for the first few days. I never intended for it to be a permanent look. My body seemed to have other ideas.
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

LtCol Hooligan

Meant no offense btw- I have the natural look on the top as well.  Just trying to point out that the bicked sides would be considered a fad.  Technically speaking there should be a little on the side, but I have never heard anyone in the military actually tell someone their hair is too short!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Walkman

Kal

Um, the hat pushes the hair down. Why? The hat isn't riding on top of the hair, my hair isn't long enough for that.

davidsinn

Spiked hair is still a fad style and not authorized while in uniform.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hawk200

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on March 27, 2008, 04:49:20 PM
Meant no offense btw- I have the natural look on the top as well.  Just trying to point out that the bicked sides would be considered a fad.  Technically speaking there should be a little on the side, but I have never heard anyone in the military actually tell someone their hair is too short!!

In one of the uniform messages a few years ago, the Army said that shaving your head was acceptable (the disturbing part was that the original message said that men and women could do it!)

The Air Force says this (AFI 36-2903): "Cleanly shaven heads, military high-and-tight, or flat top haircuts are authorized. "

A clean shaven head is not really associated with a particular theme, group, or organization. It's a generally accepted practice by the public, and isn't considered extreme nowadays.

The standards in 39-1 don't reference a clean shaven head, but the current ones shown reflect the last incarnation or so of the Air Force uniform instruction. Ouir next 39-1 will probably say the same thing as the current AFI.

Kal

Quote from: davidsinn on March 28, 2008, 12:55:27 AM

I can't find that anywhere. I looked. All I saw was it being under 1 1/4 in in bulk. I consider the flat top to kind of block-like, and it even says that the block look is permitted. Am I missing something? If I am please tell me. I try not to be out of regs.

Hawk200

Quote from: Kal on March 28, 2008, 02:00:06 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on March 28, 2008, 12:55:27 AM

I can't find that anywhere. I looked. All I saw was it being under 1 1/4 in in bulk. I consider the flat top to kind of block-like, and it even says that the block look is permitted. Am I missing something? If I am please tell me. I try not to be out of regs.

You're confusing different things. Flat tops have nothing to do with blocking. The block cut is referring as to how it's cut on the back of the neck down toward the collar. It looks like a block because the bottom is cut in a straight line, and the ends toward the outside have a very defined square looking appearance.

Yes, I know flat tops can have a "square" appearance, but this isn't what the manual is referencing when they mention "blocking".

Kal

Oh, my bad. But still, is there a reg against putting gel in your hair?

If you mean by "spiking" having it go in all different directions, I am not doing that. I am just having it stick straight up uniformly. Not  the look of ^^^^ or a --^-- or a -----^ but more of a ------ look ( if the lines are the way the hair looks).

Hawk200

Quote from: Kal on March 28, 2008, 03:42:09 AM
Oh, my bad. But still, is there a reg against putting gel in your hair?

If you mean by "spiking" having it go in all different directions, I am not doing that. I am just having it stick straight up uniformly. Not  the look of ^^^^ or a --^-- or a -----^ but more of a ------ look ( if the lines are the way the hair looks).

Spiking is considered faddish. If you want it to stand up, get a flat top or something. Yeah, a flat top may be considered a fad, but nowadays it's a military fad.

Keep in mind that you need to consider your uniforms, and if your uniform isn't up to snuff because you spent all the time on your hair, you'll end up having some hassles from your staff, and your fellow cadets. It may result in some nicknames that you might not want.

There's encampments and searches to consider as well. Are you really going to have time to be gelling our hair? A little gel is fine, but if someone can tell you have it, it's probably too much. Makeup for women is a similar concept, you can tell when it's excessive. Consider what else you could be using that time for.

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

nesagsar

So back in 2003 when my Cadet Commander showed up on blues day with cherry red hair spiked in every possible direction it was wrong right?(please note sarcasm)

The senior members never said anything about it and I was a little airman at the time, he was a master sergeant. He ended up going to VMI and dropped out after 3 semesters to join the Army Guard at E-3. Never heard about him after that.

CAP006

If it makes any of you feel better (after cutting me down)  :( I cut my hair all over to .50 inches.

Thanks for informing me thou.

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

TEAM SURGE

I get away with the mohawk....very short mohawk that is....
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

JoeTomasone

Quote from: DC on March 26, 2008, 06:48:56 PM
Very short high and tight. It is the ultimate low maintanence hair style. I never have to comb, brush, dry, gel, spray, or any other form of hair care. I save a ton on shampoo too, because it takes so little to wash it!

Total Bulk - 0.25 inches the the highest point

Not to mention the cost savings by cutting your own hair...  6mm guide all over, then 3mm around the ears and neck.  Done!

Hawk200

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on May 21, 2008, 08:46:38 PM

Doesn't sound your unit's doing the right thing if they're allowing you to wear an actual mohawk.

Or is that sarcasm?

Dynamite

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 21, 2008, 10:23:24 PM

Doesn't sound your unit's doing the right thing if they're allowing you to wear an actual mohawk.

Or is that sarcasm?

Really short mohawks tend to look like weird flat tops from what I've seen. He might be able to get away with it like that.

PhoenixRisen

He could be referring to one of those really, really high-speed high and tights that you used to see Army Rangers frequent.  I've heard those referred to as "mohawks" before.

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 21, 2008, 10:23:24 PM

Or is that sarcasm?

Its  a hawk....its not long at all...how is it breaking any rules?  Not touching the collar no bangs, and its not touching the eaars...I can even wear it up as long as its not about I believ one inch..
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 22, 2008, 12:33:32 AM
He could be referring to one of those really, really high-speed high and tights that you used to see Army Rangers frequent.  I've heard those referred to as "mohawks" before.

Kinda like that
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Hawk200

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on May 22, 2008, 01:03:32 AM
Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 22, 2008, 12:33:32 AM

Kinda like that

Probably acceptable. A regular mohawk is an extremely faddish haircut, and not really appropriate in uniform. If you're wearing alternates, it's not really an issue. If you're wearing Air Force variants, then there's a problem.

SSgt Rudin

if it looked anything like that I might say something... probably not, but it could be considered faddish.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

afgeo4

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on March 27, 2008, 04:49:20 PM
Would you like to point out to some place in CAP or even military regulations that specify what a "Fad" is?

From my personal understanding a Fad haircut is simply something that isn't natural looking. Something that's very "styled". Baldness isn't that.
GEORGE LURYE

LittleIronPilot

I know that during Desert Strom my entire squad (nicknamed the Young Guns because NO ONE was over 21 at the time but the sq.ldr) all got real short mohawks in the field.

Hawk200

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on May 22, 2008, 04:25:05 AM

if it looked anything like that I might say something... probably not, but it could be considered faddish.

The one I'm thinking of wouldn't, but just barely. I've seen a lot of grunts and Ranger types that wear what is basically a high and tight, with the top cut just narrow enough on the top to stretch the boundaries of the regulation, rather than outright exceed them. The haircut is legal, but barely.

I don't see any real point to a cadet having one, but if that's what he wants, so be it. With my own cadets, I would tolerate it, but I would tell them that getting such a haircut is more than they need. Neither a standard conservative haircut, nor a high and tight really show me anything about them. Have a proper uniform, shave,  put some polish on their boots, show up to meetings on time, do their best on tests are things that will raise my opinion of them more than just a high and tight.

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 22, 2008, 04:31:27 PM
Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on May 22, 2008, 04:25:05 AM

The one I'm thinking of wouldn't, but just barely. I've seen a lot of grunts and Ranger types that wear what is basically a high and tight, with the top cut just narrow enough on the top to stretch the boundaries of the regulation, rather than outright exceed them. The haircut is legal, but barely.

I don't see any real point to a cadet having one, but if that's what he wants, so be it. With my own cadets, I would tolerate it, but I would tell them that getting such a haircut is more than they need. Neither a standard conservative haircut, nor a high and tight really show me anything about them. Have a proper uniform, shave,  put some polish on their boots, show up to meetings on time, do their best on tests are things that will raise my opinion of them more than just a high and tight.

Thats a good point...

Duplicate of quote above snipped. - MIKE

Yeah I mean a do all that....BUT C.A,P is not my entire life...what I do on the outside, well where I work requires a little  bit of standing out.....So as long as I do what you listed off....Well that is what I do I don't think people should not say anything about your hair as long as it's not breaking any of the regs,...
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Becks

You're probably referring to whats known as the "Recon-Cut".  Its an extreme high and tight that if done all the way looks like a very short mohawk.  A little wider and it becomes the "4 fingers of death" due to the total breadth of the hair being only about 4 fingers width across.

Personally I usually have something like this,

BBATW

Gunner C

^ Quote of above snipped - MIKE

When I was an SF detachment commander I had a former ranger who came in with a haircut like that.  I told him that if he wanted to keep his job he'd better do his best to grow some hair.  We didn't allow high & tights. For most of my career I had what some would call a low and loose.  I required all my folks to wear their hair a bit longer on the sides - not over the ears, but not shaved and definitely blocked in the back.

In most countries the haircuts above are found on basic trainees and prisoners.  We also didn't want to stand out.  For CAP, my guidance was always keep your hair neat but not long.  If your haircut makes you look out of place in civil society, then it's too short.  YMMV

GC

TEAM SURGE

Yeah.....well I like the hawk look...
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

mikeylikey

I just tell the barber at the AFB to use a number 4 setting all over, and block the back.  It comes out clean and sexy and does not need cut again for at least 2.45 weeks. 

I have been in commands where there was a haircut policy.  I hated it.  In defiance when I was a 2LT, I shaved my head and took my letter in my local file.  Good thing those local letters of admonishment or concern get shredded when you transfer from the unit.   >:D 
What's up monkeys?

jimmydeanno

^ #4 holy cow you hippie!  ;D

I'm sporting a #1 on the sides and finger length on the top.  My hair dresser also gives me a scalp and hand massage.  ;)

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

I go with a #2 on the top and nothing more than stubble on the sides. I don't shave the sides though.... When I'm fresh from a haircut it sort of looks like I've got a longish 5 o'clock shadow around my head...

1sgtarcherCT062

i find it a lot easier to just shave it off, then to worry about length, and if its touching my ears and whatnot

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2008, 06:11:35 PM

By the time I get to CAP meetings, I am just getting out of football practice or wrestling practice depending what season it is, and me hair is still spiked but kinda laying down! Normally I dont spike it at CAP activities....
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Always Ready

When I was a cadet (both in CAP and in AFROTC), I would have the base barber (I'm an Air Force brat) do a #3 or 4 on top and #1 or 2 on the sides and back (respectfully). The back got tapered and I had him "edge" around the ears so that nothing was touching. This kept me within regs :angel: and still let me have a somewhat normal appearence >:D. The bad thing about this is that now all of my hair stand up on end (EVEN THE SIDES!!!!). Gel and hairspray won't even hold it down. Now I'm growing out my hair in attempt to tame it ;D. Looks like I'll be getting the BBDUs. ;) :'(

AC

I guess I was out of regulation in 1978!

AC

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

CadetProgramGuy

My Haircut.....

No Guard on sides (whitewalls), #1 or 2 on the top.

No Muss No Fuss

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: AC on June 19, 2008, 03:41:52 AM

AC

I think I just died laughing!!!!!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

AC

I have three cousins who are/were all hairdressers; got free permanents & haircuts! ;D

AC

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: AC on June 23, 2008, 03:25:10 PM
I have three cousins who are/were all hairdressers; got free permanents & haircuts! ;D

AC

Still you were a goofy one! LOL Dont take offense to that!  :clap:
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

BuckeyeDEJ

AC

IT'S RON BURGUNDY!

(sorry, couldn't help it)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

DC

jb512

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on June 23, 2008, 08:16:09 AM

AC

I think I just died laughing!!!!!

Holy friggin crap...  You had the 'pron' stash, short shorts with the three white stripes, and some knee socks of course...  I'm sure you watched CHiPs too.

It was so hard to write this reply within the code of conduct...

CAP006

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on June 23, 2008, 10:40:22 PM

AC

IT'S RON BURGUNDY!

(sorry, couldn't help it)

I SO TOTALY AGREE
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

BuckeyeDEJ

You stay classy, CAPTalk.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.