Main Menu

Haircut

Started by Kal, March 25, 2008, 09:12:22 PM

Kal

Ok. Regs say 1 1/4 inch in bulk, regardless of length. What is bulk?

Hawk200

Bulk refers to how high it actually stands off your scalp. If you put a ruler on your scalp, the hair should not be standing any higher than that measurement above your scalp.

CAP006

Well I've been in CAP for over three years and I've had my hair at a nice, clean cut with the "bulk" (so to speak) at 2 to 3 inches and haven't been told to cut it any shorter.
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

Maj Ballard

You're still out of regulations, regardless of whether anyone told you.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: CAP006 on March 25, 2008, 09:57:45 PM
Well I've been in CAP for over three years and I've had my hair at a nice, clean cut with the "bulk" (so to speak) at 2 to 3 inches and haven't been told to cut it any shorter.

I imagine that you're not near a military installation. You would have been corrected rather quickly.

Second, just because you haven't been told to correct it, doesn't mean it isn't wrong. If you continue to wear it improperly, you're ignoring the manual.

So the question is, do you want to do it the right way, or your own way?

Kal

Any particular spot you are supposed to measure from? (on your scalp)

DNall

That would be whatever the thickest point is. And just for the record, 1.25 inches in bulk is a whole lot of hair.

Kal

I have a flat top, and in the front, I get measurements between 1-1.5 in, and at the lowest, I get .25-1 in.  Do I average them out, or just take the 1-1.5?

Tubacap

I hope someday to have .25 inches of hair... alas those days are gone.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

lordmonar

Quote from: Kal on March 25, 2008, 10:46:50 PM
I have a flat top, and in the front, I get measurements between 1-1.5 in, and at the lowest, I get .25-1 in.  Do I average them out, or just take the 1-1.5?

No....you take the largest measurement.....so you got to cut the long stuff in front.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PhoenixRisen

I live and go to CAP in one of the largest military cities in the US.  Despite meeting on and ANG Station, the area I'm in is predominiantly Marine Corps (as MCAS Miramar is right across the freeway).  I haven't been able to cut my hair for a few weeks (due to a surgery I just had), and I'm not going to my meeting in uniform tonight because of that.  My hair isn't even an inch in length, and I still feel it's too long.  

How's that for uptight?   :P

Pylon

Quote from: lordmonar on March 26, 2008, 12:43:41 AM
...so you got to cut the long stuff in front.

Or let it grow longer so it lays down flat.   :)

Just before my most recent haircut, my hair was about 4.5" in length.  But it was never close to even an 1" in bulk at any point.  It's more what you do with your hair than anything else.  If your hair is standing up straight 1.5", that's pretty crazy... add some mousse or a styling product to get it to lay down a bit, which will effectively reduce "bulk".
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Jolt

I think you're confusing bulk and hair length.  Jeez!  Two to three inches of bulk is a LOT of hair!  Two to three inches for hair length seems reasonable, though.

SarDragon

Just as an example, a really bulky heirstyle would be a '60s or '70s 'Fro. Now they were bulky.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

Quote from: Pylon on March 26, 2008, 01:30:16 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 26, 2008, 12:43:41 AM
...so you got to cut the long stuff in front.

Or let it grow longer so it lays down flat.   :)

Just before my most recent haircut, my hair was about 4.5" in length.  But it was never close to even an 1" in bulk at any point.  It's more what you do with your hair than anything else.  If your hair is standing up straight 1.5", that's pretty crazy... add some mousse or a styling product to get it to lay down a bit, which will effectively reduce "bulk".

Do you take appointments Mike?  Opening your own salon soon??   :D
What's up monkeys?

wingnut

Gunner C

I had a black team sergeant while on AD who pretty good sense of humor.  He did a rap about our team that included:

My name is Jesse
And that's not all
My hair's not long
It's just tall

;D

Kal

Ok, cut hair so max. length (if spiked) is under 1.25 in, got it.

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 26, 2008, 03:20:47 AM
Do you take appointments Mike?  Opening your own salon soon??   :D

First appointment for you is free!   Does "Smooth scalp with some nicks and missed patches of hair" sound about right?  Because that would be the extent of my abilities.   ;D

Let me know when you can get in for a trim...
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: Kal on March 26, 2008, 04:58:45 AM
Ok, cut hair so max. length (if spiked) is under 1.25 in, got it.

So how do you wear your hat with spiked hair?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn