Al Sayre

Bet the dry cleaners really love the skid marks... :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eagle400

Quote from: DrDave on July 11, 2007, 10:48:24 PM
Doesn't just tucking your shirt into your underwear do the same thing?

That's gotta be awfully uncomfortable.  I would never do that.  Shirt stays are much more comfortable.    

jimmydeanno

No.  It does not do the same thing.  IF you tuck your shirt into your underwear and put your arms above your head, all of a sudden you look like some of those gangbangers...the shirt stays keep your shirt down and your socks up actively.  There is a huge difference.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 11, 2007, 11:36:01 PM
Quote from: MIKE on July 11, 2007, 11:31:02 PM

Ewwww.

Ditto.

Ick.  and no it doesn't.

Anything tucked, without something holding it down will eventually
ride up, especially in the back.  No so with the garters, you can go all day long at a pretty good activity level (like an encampment pack-out / graduation ) and your shirt will still be tight (with the occasional
"blow-out" if you don't get the  shirt in just right.

As to quality, I've found a fair disparity between manufacturers, but the single-tab style sold at NAVEx's seem to work pretty good, and the elastic lasts a long time.  The "y-type" sold at the old bookstore got stretched out pretty fast and I don't think held as smooth as 4 singles (two front, in line with the center
of the pockets, down the front, two rear, in line with the corners).

I've never tried those rubber retention belts, but they look uncomfortable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eagle400

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2007, 02:57:51 AMI've never tried those rubber retention belts, but they look uncomfortable.

I have, and I don't recommend them.  They don't work very well and are indeed uncomfortable.  Every time you sit down, they ride up.  It's apparent they weren't tested when they were in the factory.

Shirt stays are the best way to go, in my opinion.  Especially the ones with the foot loops at the bottom.  Those are my favorite because it doesn't matter what length of sock you're wearing.  With the type that attach to your sock, you have to either wear the same length of sock all the time or constantly adjust the stays.         

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2007, 02:57:51 AM
I've never tried those rubber retention belts, but they look uncomfortable.

I've tried the most notable one, the "Hidden Tailor". It took a few times wearing it to get it to a position that would hold comfortably. Just above the hips seems about right.  The Hidden Tailor is a softer rubber that doesn't wrinkle apart.

I refuse to do any serious bending or lifting in blues, they weren't designed for that. If you're going to be doing that, then wear BDU's.

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on July 11, 2007, 11:31:02 PM

Ewwww.

What he said.

When I was on the ROTC drill team, we safety-pinned handkerchiefs to the front and back tails to do the same thing but that was WAY uncomfortable.

As for shoddy construction, I haven't had these too long, so will have to wait and see. Wearing them once a week or less shouldn't be too hard on them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Let me ask you this, for those wearing shirt stays, do you also wear them with civilian clothes?  I wear a shirt/trouser combination similar to the CAP blues for work regularly and don't seem to have my shirt tail coming out of my pants....

Eeyore

The point of the stays is more to keep the shirt tight in both the front and the back which gives it a cleaner look. They aren't really for keeping the shirt from coming completely un-tucked, that doesn't really happen unless you are doing something that most people wouldn't do in blues.

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on July 12, 2007, 04:18:42 AM
Let me ask you this, for those wearing shirt stays, do you also wear them with civilian clothes?  I wear a shirt/trouser combination similar to the CAP blues for work regularly and don't seem to have my shirt tail coming out of my pants....

Nebba hoppen, GI.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

are you kidding  :o they're lucky I get dressed every day for work, never mind shirt and trousers...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SARMedTech

I believe the difference here is that in military uniforms, having a shirt come untucked, or not tucked in tight to the pants is not allowed, and though my knowledge of military uniform regulations is pretty basic, I do know Marines who have told me that they have been cited for not wearing their shirt stays and having their shirts go "baggy." The other point of this uniform item, as I understand it, is to keep one's socks from bagging around ones ankles. I have worked uniformed private security on two seperate occasions in my working life and have been required to wear shirt stays with both uniforms. I also have friends that work in uniform for Wackenhut security (whatever you may think of that organization) and they are required to wear them. The fact is that a baggy shirt or one that has come untucked can make an otherwise squared away uniform look like garbage. I have only had one bad experience with shirt stays involving the clip not being fastened tightly and sustained a mildly traumatic injury a part of my body that I would rather not have snapped with elastic. This is not a mistake I have made again. :o. I currently wear the white/blue CAP distinctive service uniform and wear shirt stays every time I wear the uniform which is twice a month for officers meetings. Its not really that big of a deal and once you get them adjusted properly, its easy to forget you are even wearing them.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

RiverAux

How do shirt stays hold your socks up?  Do they have a garter belt attachment?

jimmydeanno

^They attach to the bottom of your shirt and the top of your socks.  The elastic in between pulls down on the shirt and up on the socks (Unless your using the typed described above with the loops on the bottom.)

RiverAux

Well, I could almost go along with the shirt attachments, but I'm not going to have straps running down my legs holding up my socks.  If my socks can't hold themselves up, I buy new socks. 

floridacyclist

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 11, 2007, 11:43:39 PM
Folks wouldn't have that problem if they'd learn to wipe properly.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

stillamarine

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 12, 2007, 01:18:29 PM

I also have friends that work in uniform for Wackenhut security (whatever you may think of that organization) and they are required to wear them.

I work for Wackenhut and have for a few years, never heard about having to wear shirt stays.  Granted we make our money on looking good and performing good, but you do not HAVE to wear shirt stays, I have not worn a pair since I left the Marine Corps.

QuoteI have only had one bad experience with shirt stays involving the clip not being fastened tightly and sustained a mildly traumatic injury a part of my body that I would rather not have snapped with elastic.

Wrap the stays around your leg, Go from the front of your shirt to the back of the sock and vice versa. That is the way Marines are taught in Boot and it keeps from any unfortunate accidents like you describe.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

ColonelJack

Quote from: floridacyclist on July 12, 2007, 03:44:24 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on July 11, 2007, 11:43:39 PM
Folks wouldn't have that problem if they'd learn to wipe properly.

"Right now, germs with names you can't even pronounce are preparing to launch a devastating assault on your body that will leave you helpless in the defense of your country!"
-- Lt. Col. Bull Meechum, USMC (Robert Duvall), The Great Santini

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on July 12, 2007, 02:42:59 PM
Well, I could almost go along with the shirt attachments, but I'm not going to have straps running down my legs holding up my socks.  If my socks can't hold themselves up, I buy new socks. 

We have a paired function here - the socks hold the shirt down, and the shirt holds the socks up. Once you figre out where to attach them, you get used to them quickly. I wore them all weekend at an SLS class (teaching), and hardly noticed them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

Ok, for those of you who need a better visual as to the difference between gartered or not, here you go...left = no garter, right = gartered.