Main Menu

G/W Headgear

Started by DesertRat, February 19, 2016, 04:06:02 PM

DesertRat

I realize this has been argued a lot, whether there should or shouldn't be "approved" headgear or not with G/W's. I personally wear a hat of some kind whenever I'm out of doors; and a jacket; I'm rather old-fashioned in the gentlemaning business. My question is not what should be authorized or demanded, or even if anything should be, but what DO individuals wear? I am considering a starched grey BDU style patrol cap with both B/W and the polo shirt uniform. 

Alaric

Gunsotsu

Quote from: DesertRat on February 19, 2016, 04:06:02 PM
I am considering a starched grey BDU style patrol cap with both B/W and the polo shirt uniform.

And you would be wrong doing so. CAPM 39-1 is your friend.

Garibaldi

If I got to choose I'd opt for a fedora. No whip, though.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

DesertRat

I like the wing ball cap with the polo, but what "fits" style-wise with the G/W? I know a lot of police forces wear ball caps with their unifroms, but it looks sloppy.

DesertRat

And I do have my grandfather's fedora, and I love it, but I think it wold look goofy with the uniform. ;D Of course, I am rather goofy.

DesertRat

I guess that's my point. What "fits" with the G/W?

Garibaldi

In a word, nothing. Nothing is authorized, nothing looks good, nothing works. We've had many, many ideas and none of them are appealing.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

DesertRat

So all we have is the vague wording "civilian headgear." I think I will go to Wing with the question for guidance. If I am not mistake, where regs are vague, local command has authority.

LSThiker

Quote from: DesertRat on February 19, 2016, 05:48:16 PM
So all we have is the vague wording "civilian headgear." I think I will go to Wing with the question for guidance. If I am not mistake, where regs are vague, local command has authority.

Not a vague wording "civilian headgear" but rather a CAP baseball cap:

Quote4.2.5.8. Headgear. Headgear is not required with this uniform combination. However, the CAP baseball cap may be worn. Wing and region commanders may prescribe color, unit designation, and/or emblem to be on the baseball cap. Appropriate civilian headgear may be worn during inclement weather.

Alaric

Quote from: DesertRat on February 19, 2016, 04:30:32 PM
I like the wing ball cap with the polo, but what "fits" style-wise with the G/W? I know a lot of police forces wear ball caps with their unifroms, but it looks sloppy.

I don't where a hat with my G/W unless its cold in which case I wear a black knit watch cap.

DesertRat

And what do we do when Wing has neither directed this or, by practice, allowed many interpretations? I see lots of persons here on CAPTalk being very hard line about interpretations, but in practice, not so much. I have seen one NCO, who was a CPO in the Navy, in the "Polo uniform" but having the Navy's digital camo eight-point cover, carrying his Navy rank. it was at a major wing-level training and evaluation. I saw ball caps with rank pins. Should we newbies be hard nosed? Should we adopt command's attitude?

vorteks

Quote from: DesertRat on February 19, 2016, 06:27:58 PM
And what do we do when Wing has neither directed this or, by practice, allowed many interpretations? I see lots of persons here on CAPTalk being very hard line about interpretations, but in practice, not so much. I have seen one NCO, who was a CPO in the Navy, in the "Polo uniform" but having the Navy's digital camo eight-point cover, carrying his Navy rank. it was at a major wing-level training and evaluation. I saw ball caps with rank pins. Should we newbies be hard nosed? Should we adopt command's attitude?

What I'm hearing is "other people aren't following the rules, so why should I?" Follow the regulations to the best of your ability and set a good example.

lordmonar

Quote from: varitec on February 19, 2016, 06:33:36 PM
Quote from: DesertRat on February 19, 2016, 06:27:58 PM

What I'm hearing is "other people aren't following the rules, so why should I?" Follow the regulations to the best of your ability and set a good example.
And challenge your peers and question your superiors who violate the rules.

A quick....."hey Capt Soandso......you know the regulations say 'civilian hats' with the polo shirt.   You are setting a bad example for the Noobs and the Cadets."

Simple, Polite, Direct.

If you feel really strong about it.....take it up the chain of command and let them deal with it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

WIWICAP, I never owned the polo shirt so cannot comment.

I always thought the West Point garrison cap would have looked good with the G/W (if anything can look good with that), but CAP would have had to get Army permission, and it's doubtful the AF would have allowed it, given General Courter's dictum that the G/W is to be specifically non-military.

If any of you have seen the West Point "Class B" uniform...well, the reg about not being confused with any other service falls flat on that one.  I even think these Cadets are wearing grey shoulder marks.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

vorteks

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: varitec on February 19, 2016, 08:41:24 PM
He's baaaaaaaaack....

Sporadically.  I'm honestly trying to find ways to rejoin without having to affiliate with my former unit, or any squadron for the moment without going "patron."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Checotah

While there is much talk about trying to maintain some degree of uniformity within the uniform combinations, the G/W combination suffers from defined outerwear that would do that.  Headgear is a part of that; so, too, are jackets and/or coats. 

This was very apparent in December when our unit was laying Wreaths Across America in rather inclement weather.  Those of us in the G/W combination could not be identified as CAP, other than visible pants (and we all know that issue).  Between raincoats and rain headgear, there was absolutely no distinguishment or recognition, much less uniformity.

I know this subject has been discussed ad nauseam and I'm not trying to restart it.  Just wanted to add my voice to those wishing we would come up with something.
Fred Arnett
Lt. Col., CAP