Non-Member Award for Outstanding Contributions

Started by Ned, January 26, 2015, 11:23:29 PM

Shuman 14

Quote from: Nuke52 on February 01, 2015, 04:41:01 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on February 01, 2015, 04:27:41 PM
My other suggestion is to make Patron members eligible for it. If a Patron donates a billion dollars, I don't think its fair that because he/she also gave $25.00 in dues it should exclude him/her from the award.

Outstanding idea--I know just the patron we all have in mind!  Congratulations, shuman!  (BTW, when can we expect your (additional) check to clear?)

So are you like the self-appointed patron saint of patron members or something?   :-*

Check is in the mail Sir.  :P
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Private Investigator

Quote from: shuman14 on February 01, 2015, 08:10:54 PM
My other suggestion is to make Patron members eligible for it. If a Patron donates a billion dollars, I don't think its fair that because he/she also gave $25.00 in dues it should exclude him/her from the award.

Outstanding idea--I know just the patron we all have in mind!  Congratulations, shuman!  (BTW, when can we expect your (additional) check to clear?)

So are you like the self-appointed patron saint of patron members or something?   :-*

Thank you sir  :clap:

Shuman 14

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 01, 2015, 08:41:57 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on February 01, 2015, 08:10:54 PM

Thank you sir  :clap:

I forgot to mention, it's in Ruritanian Dollars... they're worth 2.5E-11 to the American Dollar.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Bobble

I have to say MSgt, I really like your Idea. The Order of Leguardia really has a nice ring to it... it sings.  :clap:

I Also like the idea of a National Trophy, awarded every year, with the awardee's name inscribed on it and displayed at National HQ.

So if we could is we could combine the National Trophy/Chief Commander into one I'd think that would be the best of both worlds. Give at least one a year and more if there is a second (or more) awardee truly due one and inscribe all the names as they are awarded.

Hey, wait a minute, what happened to the "Shuman Award" ribbon we were talking about? -

Since you asked ...

A Patron Membership ribbon, aka the Shuman Award.

;D  :clap:

While I see your humor and enjoy it, it's actually not a bad idea.

I don't know how many Patrons add, drop-off and/or rejoin each year but giving them a small token (like a ribbon/medal and a certificate) might (coulda, woulda, shoulda) stimulate renewal and maybe even stimulate some new patronage.

If that adds too much for processing costs, raise the patronage dues to say $35-40 USC to cover it.

Not good enough?  A ribbon that can't be worn for a uniform that can't be worn?

"If a Patron donates a billion dollars, I don't think its fair that because he/she also gave $25.00 in dues it should exclude him/her from the award."

Let's take that thought to its' logical conclusion and we'll find that anyone (including active members) should be eligible to have their name engraved on this proposed "National Trophy Cup" based on the size of their monetary contribution.   Placed in a lighted glass cabinet somewhere at NHQ where no one except CAP members, employees and the occasional visitor will ever see it.

Instead, here's my idea.  Let's put the naming rights to Groups and Squadrons out for bid for both individuals and businesses/corporations.  Just as the naming rights to arenas and stadiums are sold, we could easily do the same with our organizational components.  I don't think that it's too far-fetched of an idea.  From what I've heard, the naming rights to sporting facilities (and even for facilities like libraries at private Colleges and Universities) are contractually written to last a specific amount of time, not for perpetuity, so that the process would generate funds on a continual basis.  We could even have the "sponsor's" name/title embroidered on the backs of our utility uniform blouses, just like Little League teams -

http://www.littleleague.org/media/llnewsarchive/Unknown_Dates/local_sponsorship.htm

Of course, that would be after CAP ditches the AF style uniform for all members.

I look forward in the near future to being a member of Clune Group, Shuman Squadron. Just as soon as National cashes that check for 1B Ruritanian dollars.  Of course, if that check kites, it might end up being Fuddrucker's Group, Hooter's Squadron.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Dave, this IS CAP Talk... 8)
Seriously, Ned's idea is worth consideration.  We used to have the Scott Crossfield Award.  The family decided to pack up and take their marbles elsewhere.  We have Brewer award for AE educators and outside organizations now.  I'm sure we can fit another award in for those who deserve it, however I don't know why this isn't being handled by staff. Then, again, we have Patron members with those Bizillion Buck Checks... :angel:

Ned

Keep it going, guys.  This is actually a great deal of help.

Some quick responses . . .

Quote from: FW. . . however I don't know why this isn't being handled by staff

Fred, FWIW, I am "the staff,"  at least one small part of it.  From my perch here in CP, it appears we have a need for such a thing, and I am putting together a packet for formal staff coordination and eventually for the leadership's consideration.  It is always interesting to see what changes the leadership adds to a project, and in this particular case, they will have a great deal of latitude.  But I want to make sure that they are provided a solid proposal to begin with.

I have indeed coordinated with Dr. Dothrow on the development end of things. That's just part of staff work.  I've also some some preliminary coordinated with Susie P., and the GC.  Among others.

And the point of this thread is to solicit comments and suggestions of the membership.  And it has been terrific.  I simply hadn't considered either Mosley or LaGuardia.  I've been backchanneling with a few historians, and it has become a great learning experience.

Now if I could just find a monograph that lays out LaGuardia's role more completely . . .

MisterCD

Quote from: Ned on February 02, 2015, 04:48:48 PM
Keep it going, guys.  This is actually a great deal of help.

Some quick responses . . .

Quote from: FW. . . however I don't know why this isn't being handled by staff

Fred, FWIW, I am "the staff,"  at least one small part of it.  From my perch here in CP, it appears we have a need for such a thing, and I am putting together a packet for formal staff coordination and eventually for the leadership's consideration.  It is always interesting to see what changes the leadership adds to a project, and in this particular case, they will have a great deal of latitude.  But I want to make sure that they are provided a solid proposal to begin with.

I have indeed coordinated with Dr. Dothrow on the development end of things. That's just part of staff work.  I've also some some preliminary coordinated with Susie P., and the GC.  Among others.

And the point of this thread is to solicit comments and suggestions of the membership.  And it has been terrific.  I simply hadn't considered either Mosley or LaGuardia.  I've been backchanneling with a few historians, and it has become a great learning experience.

Now if I could just find a monograph that lays out LaGuardia's role more completely . . .

All you have to do is ask or shoot me an email.

Mitchell 1969

A couple of thoughts regarding the "Bronze LaGuardia Award First Class for Camber Excellence" -

1. The scope needs to be defined. Specifically, is this going to be like the Air Force Association Awards, with one recipient for each in any year? Or a much wider distribution?  If nothing else, that will help decide the cost - making one super nice custom trophy is do-able, but supplying 300 not so much.

2. The point has been made as to differences between individual recognition and group recognition. A case in point - I received a federal award at my city level job. I wasn't expecting it, but it was nice to be selected. When I went to accept it, it was engraved to my organization. Proud as I was of my organization, the fact was that I personally didn't get anything, even though that was the intent of the person nominating me. When I retired, I left it there - I didn't see it as being mine.

Conversely - I accepted another award at an event on behalf of my organization being recognized. Yep. Had my name on it. It gave the appearance of being presented for personal achievement, when the reality was that I was simply the boss and the guy who showed up to listen to the speeches and enjoy the rubber chicken. I left that behind, as well, but got a phone call every 4-6 months for a few years from somebody asking me "Do you want us to ship your award that you left?"

I guess what I'm saying is that murkiness doesn't help. Neither do intentions. So, make sure it goes to the person/people/organization intended.

3. Personally, for individuals, I prefer amending award criteria to allow for presentation of CAP decorations to non-members. (Decorations, not training awards). The precedence is already there - foreign soldiers can be awarded the Bronze Star, DFC, etc if they meet the award criteria. In the case of people not belonging to CAP, look at their actions and results, then ask "If s/he was in CAP, would we be giving an award for that?" If yes, then give it. But, and this is important - if the answer is no, then be disciplined enough to say "Sorry, we wouldn't give that to our own guy, so this guy will get that beautiful certificate instead."

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.