Non-Member Award for Outstanding Contributions

Started by Ned, January 26, 2015, 11:23:29 PM

ZigZag911

Probably because GIll Robb Wilson was actually a member of CAP...most of our other awards were named for aviation pioneers of one sort or another...I specifically suggested LaGuardia for this because it is also descriptive of his role:  a non-member who made a highly important contribution to CAP.

Glad to see its gaining some traction here on CT!

ProdigalJim

Concur. LaGuardia Trophy is a great idea, head-and-shoulders above the rest. Like the Collier or similar, there could be one large trophy at NHQ, with names/orgs added each year, and a small replica presented to the recipient, with a nice parchment certificate. Maybe a matching lapel pin, since you can't carry the trophy around with you.

And Mr. Mayor's story is exactly relevant to the purpose of the award. Love it!
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

Just re-read his bio, you'll have a hard time finding some who fits the bill better.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2015, 10:33:18 PM
Just re-read his bio, you'll have a hard time finding some who fits the bill better.

Be careful, or we might find out it was actually LaGuardia's assistant, Madge, who signed the order from the Office of Civilian Defense that created CAP...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on January 29, 2015, 12:42:20 AM

Be careful, or we might find out it was actually LaGuardia's assistant, Madge, who signed the order from the Office of Civilian Defense that created CAP...

A rabbit hole best left to darkness...

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Even if true, that doesn't diminish LaGuardia's contributions.

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 29, 2015, 03:27:53 AM

Even if true, that doesn't diminish LaGuardia's contributions.

Wooosh...

"I said to Hollywood 'where'd he go?' and Hollywood said 'Where'd who go!?'."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

Private Investigator

How you know Madge did not pass it to her clerk, Shirley and told her to take it to Publications and once their they said, "it is not signed!" and Shirley just scribbed on it and it was a done deal.  Just hysterical history for us all.   8)

SarDragon

Hey, guys, does Ned's idea really deserve this?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on January 29, 2015, 08:50:22 AM
Hey, guys, does Ned's idea really deserve this?

OK, back on track. Dave's got a point. I apologize for derailing.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Private Investigator

What about the Zack Mosley Trophy? He brought CAP to the masses weekly in his cartoon strip.  8)

Ned

Hey historians - was Zack ever a member?  His Wikipedia bio says he flew on multiple CAP anti sub patrols, but I suppose he could have been some sort of VIP non-member based on all of the exposure he gave us in his Smilin Jack comic strip.

Anyone know for sure one way or another?

LSThiker

Quote from: Ned on January 30, 2015, 05:43:29 PM
Hey historians - was Zack ever a member?  His Wikipedia bio says he flew on multiple CAP anti sub patrols, but I suppose he could have been some sort of VIP non-member based on all of the exposure he gave us in his Smilin Jack comic strip.

Anyone know for sure one way or another?

Yes, he was a past FLWG/CC:

http://2013.flwg.us/information/archives/biographies/zack-mosley.aspx

lordmonar

I was thinking about the award....one of the aspect that came up is scope.

A non-member who is instrumental at the unit level vs someone at the national level.

If we did it like the legion of merit is done on AD.   Make it like a Order of Chivalry with different "ranks" with different ribbons and devices.

Legionnaire 2d Class for squadron.
Legionnaire 1st Class for Group
Officer for Wing
Commander for Region
Chief Commander for National

So....some one does something good for a squadron....the Squadron CC submits the 120 to the approving authroity.....and they are inducted into the Order of Leguardia (or the order of Mosley) as a Legionnaire 2d Class.

Someone donates a billion dollars and he is inducted as Chief Commander of the Order of XXXXX with all the pomp and circumstance we can come up with.

Make it a big deal....it becomes a big deal.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Shuman 14

I have to say MSgt, I really like your Idea. The Order of Leguardia really has a nice ring to it... it sings.  :clap:

I Also like the idea of a National Trophy, awarded every year, with the awardee's name inscribed on it and displayed at National HQ.

So if we could is we could combine the National Trophy/Chief Commander into one I'd think that would be the best of both worlds. Give at least one a year and more if there is a second (or more) awardee truly due one and inscribe all the names as they are awarded.

My other suggestion is to make Patron members eligible for it. If a Patron donates a billion dollars, I don't think its fair that because he/she also gave $25.00 in dues it should exclude him/her from the award.

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Nuke52

Quote from: shuman14 on February 01, 2015, 04:27:41 PM
My other suggestion is to make Patron members eligible for it. If a Patron donates a billion dollars, I don't think its fair that because he/she also gave $25.00 in dues it should exclude him/her from the award.

Outstanding idea--I know just the patron we all have in mind!  Congratulations, shuman!  (BTW, when can we expect your (additional) check to clear?)

So are you like the self-appointed patron saint of patron members or something?   :-*
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

a2capt

If a Patron member gave a billion dollars ..  I think there would be a lot more press than a plate on a trophy.

FW

Quote from: ProdigalJim on January 28, 2015, 01:03:31 AM
Quote from: Ned on January 26, 2015, 11:23:29 PM

1.  Is this worthwhile?  Will it add value to CAP?

Yes, very worthwhile; it will add value to CAP in many ways, not least of which acknowledging sustained contributions made on a wide scope by those who have even less incentive to serve than members themselves. It will also, selfishly, offer PR value; recipients are often quite pleased and proud to have won an award, and companies will often highlight that award in multiple ways. Which gives us a shine and also potentially attracts more help from more corners.

2.  If this is a good idea, what should we call it?

Not a fan of the Legion of Merit or Medal of Freedom, esp Medal of Freedom. I like the CAMBER idea earlier in the thread, but it feels a bit marketing-y, but a great direction. I'd work along those lines.

3.  Should it have multiple levels, corresponding to wing, region, and national-level support?

Yes, but no deeper than Wing. I disagree with the notion of making this a squadron-level award. If the service is important enough to warrant more than a Certificate of Appreciation and a squadron mug or plaque, then it's probably by definition at least Wing in scope.

4.  Would it mean the end of the Certificates of Appreciation?

No, not at all. They can be used for lesser achievements, and for squadron-level awards. Conversely, there's nothing in the regs today stopping a squadron from doing something nicer than a Certificate of Appreciation.

5.  As an alternative, should we simply change the reg and allow the Meritorious, Exceptional, and Distinguished Service Awards to be presented to non-members?

Absolutely not. These are the only true "decs" our members are eligible to earn, and giving them outside the organization diminishes them.

I agree.  This idea does deserve an honest hearing, however I wonder why our "Development Office" isn't dealing with this.  CAP "Friendraising" efforts have not borne much fruit, IMHO.  Growth is still stagnant, outside sources of funds; not significant to talk about, and our credibility outside a very small circle hasn't changed one bit. 

If awarding a Non-Member for Outstanding Contributions to CAP will bring anything positive to the table, I'm all in.  But,  I rather spend our limited resources on building a solid "Outstanding Non-Member Contribution" base which will enable CAP to soar.  Maybe they should go hand in hand?

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on February 01, 2015, 07:26:12 PM
If a Patron member gave a billion dollars ..  I think there would be a lot more press than a plate on a trophy.

Any Patron or other contributor giving CAP a billion dollars gets advanced to active member, promotion to Admiral,
and a free Cessna at his disposal for life.

"That Others May Zoom"