Where to find the CAP Regulation for Flight Suits at a SAREX

Started by Mike W, April 17, 2013, 02:43:33 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 13, 2013, 04:19:17 PM
When did we start talking about dirt roads?

Don't know where I got that from.    The rest still applies. Corrected the above.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mike W

That is why we have to wear flight suits - my original question....  ;)

Storm Chaser

I started reading this thread from the beginning and came accross this post:

Quote from: lordmonar on April 17, 2013, 05:49:35 PM
One could argue that you could wear the flight suit on a GT mission.....as the restriction in 39-1 only states "Air Crew Only"......not "Air Crew while performing Flight Operations Only".

That statement may be true of CAPM 39-1, but it contradicts the Ground and UDF Team Task Guide, which requires a complete set of BDUs on your person. Unless you have big pockets, I believe that means you're supposed to wear it.

Edited for spelling

Luis R. Ramos

Oh no!

:o

Now we are going to read more arguments stating these guides "are not regulatory, so 39-1 trumps" and others finding other regulations that support these guides as being the true-all, mandatory ruler on BDU vs other uniforms...

:P

As a side note, the same can be said about the Blue BDU. As far as I can remember, the guide does not mention the BBDU. If so, I cannot wear a BBDU if I cannot wear a flight suit as Ground Teams.

>:D >:D >:D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

You're right on regulatory grounds, but it doesn't really address the practical reality.  The golf shirt may not be a good choice all the time for GT work,
but the utilities might actually be a better choice, depending on the terrain, and especially if it isn't the paper-thin Rothco one.

A lot of our regs were written with an assumption everyone is on the same page and has a consistent level of equipment and understanding.
I don't know if that was ever true in CAP, but it certainly isn't these days.

The regs need to explicitly say what they mean to say, disallowing for local filtering.

To flyer's point, the current GT guide predates the existence of the BBDU, and yes, technically does not allow for its use.

It's too bad there wasn't some quick, simple way to update documents and distribute to the field...but what am I thinking?   This is the Jetsons or
Star Trek or something?  Crazy me!

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Mike W on May 13, 2013, 04:53:55 PM
That is why we have to wear flight suits - my original question....  ;)
Answered already.   8)

Now on to the show!   ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 13, 2013, 05:31:32 PM
I started reading this thread from the beginning and came accross this post:

Quote from: lordmonar on April 17, 2013, 05:49:35 PM
One could argue that you could wear the flight suit on a GT mission.....as the restriction in 39-1 only states "Air Crew Only"......not "Air Crew while performing Flight Operations Only".

That statement may be true of CAPM 39-1, but it contradicts the Ground and UDF Team Task Guide, which requires a complete set of BDUs on your person. Unless you have big pockets, I believe that means you're supposed to wear it.

Edited for spelling

To argue the point.  a) Tasks guides are NON regulatory.  b) The task guides have contradicted 39-1 in the past (Gortex was authorized and boonie hats suggest long before Gortex was incorporated into 39-1).  c) Lawyering......BDU's are what are called for in the task guide.....ergo BBDU's are not allowed.. :)

Yes.....I agree that the intent is for ground teams to be in a uniform suitable for the operations.....BDU/BDU......but 39-1....the uniform reg......says otherwise.   And As I said before one could argue.....it might not be practical.....but like I said if you are going to pick nits.....you have to do it both sides of the head.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP