Where to find the CAP Regulation for Flight Suits at a SAREX

Started by Mike W, April 17, 2013, 02:43:33 PM

jeders

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 18, 2013, 02:13:04 PM
My situation?

I just reported on what I have seen in not only this SAREX but I see it on other SAREX as well. And other posters stated happens on their wings.

Right, I didn't mean "your situation" but rather the situation which you had posted. Yes, it is much better to have a non-flying "Airedale" (I like that, I'm going to use it more often) wear a flight suit while helping a GT accomplish its mission than sitting around drinking coffee.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

Mike W

Thank you all for your comments, but I did not pose the question in reference to ground pounders. The question I asked was for aircrew at a SAREX, and the regulations(s) involved.

jeders

Quote from: Mike W on April 18, 2013, 02:53:01 PM
Thank you all for your comments, but I did not pose the question in reference to ground pounders. The question I asked was for aircrew at a SAREX, and the regulations(s) involved.

Welcome to CAPTalk.

Summary: There is no national reg which requires a flight suit to be worn when flying, merely an approved CAP uniform. There may exist a region or wing supplement which does require the wear of a flight suit when flying, or the member who told you to wear a flight suit has bad information.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Mike W

Thank you very much. I see the Squadron Commander has discretionary powers anyway.

PHall

Quote from: Thrashed on April 18, 2013, 02:36:27 PM
Don't forget your gloves with the flight suit.  ;)

I don't wear one- ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maXHA0RkYKQ#

Of course rolling your gloves down like that totally negates any benefit you gain by wearing them.

But you knew that already. ;)

If you're going to the trouble of wearing nomex flight gear, then wear it properly.
Wrist bands cinched down, gloves on all the way, flight suit zipper zipped all the way up and put the collar up too.

If you can see skin, the fire will too. :o

Walkman

Quote from: jeders on April 18, 2013, 03:00:18 PM
Welcome to CAPTalk...

...where the discussion can (and frequently will) go in another grid completely.  :D Especially when uniforms are concerned.

Mike W

I understand completely, and often submerge myself into the fray, but time is critical for an answer, that is why I pushed the point!

Carry on......... 8)

Garibaldi

Quote from: Walkman on April 18, 2013, 03:29:45 PM
Welcome to CAPTalk...

...where the discussion can (and frequently will) go in another grid completely.  :D Especially when uniforms are concerned.

So when can we has teh ABU?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Abby.L

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 18, 2013, 04:40:14 PM
Quote from: Walkman on April 18, 2013, 03:29:45 PM
Welcome to CAPTalk...

Ya know, I haven't actually seen an ABU thread in a long while. This is a friggin' miracle. :P
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Walkman

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 18, 2013, 04:40:14 PM

So my cousin's girlfriend's father's uncle is a USAF 2-Star and he said we're getting approved for the ABU in June. I heard the CAWG already has a blaze orange version underway for their GTs. And we get blaze berets.

Mike W

Maybe I can wear my South African Special Forces Beret and Paratrooper wings then with the new ABU!

Luis R. Ramos

So we are distinctly different from Air Force personnel all previous white on ultramarine blue insignia will be white on pink on this uniform.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Devil Doc

Quote from: PHall on April 18, 2013, 03:26:21 PM

I don't wear one- ever.

Of course rolling your gloves down like that totally negates any benefit you gain by wearing them.

If you're going to the trouble of wearing nomex flight gear, then wear it properly.
Wrist bands cinched down, gloves on all the way, flight suit zipper zipped all the way up and put the collar up too.

Is it sad i used to wear my Nomex Gloves that Way while in the Dessert?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

PHall

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 18, 2013, 05:49:20 PM

I don't wear one- ever.

Is it sad i used to wear my Nomex Gloves that Way while in the Dessert?

Were in an aircraft or were you wearing them for the reason most ground pounders wear them.
They protect you hands when you pick up something hot, like just about anything that's been out in the sun.

FlyTiger77

When I went through flight school, there was an instructor who had been in an aircraft fire with his sleeves rolled up and and gloves rolled down. Flaming JP4 was not good to him. I don't think I ever flew without as much protection as I could muster.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

PHall

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 18, 2013, 07:34:43 PM

When I went through flight school, there was an instructor who had been in an aircraft fire with his sleeves rolled up and and gloves rolled down. Flaming JP4 was not good to him. I don't think I ever flew without as much protection as I could muster.

Doesn't even have to be flaming JP4. A flash fire like you get in many aircraft accidents will burn any bare skin it can find.
And flash fires are what nomex flight suits and gloves are designed to protect you from.

Eclipse

Quote from: Mike W on April 18, 2013, 03:12:35 PM
Thank you very much. I see the Squadron Commander has discretionary powers anyway.

Only in as much as their AOR, which in most wings does not extend to mission operations unless
the Unit CC is coincidentally an IC or other related mission staff.

A unit CC is free to mandate whatever he wants for meetings, training exercises, etc., that he runs,
but his rules are not enforceable outside his unit, and during a mission, if the IC or AOBD indicated
a flight suit was not required, no way he could enforce his rules in that context.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: lordmonar on April 17, 2013, 05:49:35 PM
One could argue that you could wear the flight suit on a GT mission.....as the restriction in 39-1 only states "Air Crew Only"......not "Air Crew while performing Flight Operations Only".

Yes this is nit picking.....and yes I agree that Flight Suits (blue or green) or the CAP Utility Uniform (which is not restricted to Flight Crew Only) are inpractical for GT.    Push comes to shove.......getting the mission done is more important than what uniform you wear.....if you "had" to fly you could do it in a Mess Dress....same story for GT....if you "had" to go out on a GT or UDF....or man a mission base position.....you could do it in a flight suit.

We have multiple uniforms (not talking about USAF vs Corporates) so that you can use the best tool for the job........but getting the job done is more important then using the right tool is most cases.

That goes for Flying Pig's comment about not wearing a CAP uniform on a mission........if getting in proper uniform would hinder the mission......then go with it.

Ha...  I've heard stories of a UDF tasking during a wing banquet... 

IAV8

I spend my time on the ground working communications or in the plane as an air crew. If needed I might fly high bird with a repeater on board.  That said knowing I could be doing both tasks I would dress in BDU's. 
Capt. Donnelly