Where to find the CAP Regulation for Flight Suits at a SAREX

Started by Mike W, April 17, 2013, 02:43:33 PM

Mike W

I am unable to find where  the CAP Regulation state one as to wear a Flight Suit at a SAREX if you are flight crew. Can someone please show me.

lordmonar

What exactly are looking for?

39-1 tells you how to wear it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: Mike W on April 17, 2013, 02:43:33 PM
I am unable to find where  the CAP Regulation state one as to wear a Flight Suit at a SAREX if you are flight crew. Can someone please show me.

You can, but barring any local requirement, you are not required to do so.  You are allowed to fly in any authorized CAP uniform.  The only restriction is in CAPM 39-1 Section 2-1 para d:
QuoteFlight Crew members wearing the green Air Force flight suit may make only essential stops
en route to and from the duty performance site. If a stop is essential, members must meet the proper
standards of neatness, cleanliness, and military image.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Mike W

Thank you. I was asked by one of my crew why we have to wear a Flight Suit at the SAREX because he was told it is a CAP regulation and he can't fly as aircrew without one.
I can't find this regulation.
I am very familiar with  39-1, but want to find out where a regulation states that flight suits are mandatory at a SAREX

jeders

You may want to check for local (wing/region) supplements to the 60 and 62 series regs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RogueLeader

Now, if said friend is in the Peoples Republic of California,  then yes, by Wing policy, you do have to wear Nomex to fly.  I don't know if ORWG requires a flightsuit or not.  Somebody here can tell you if there is or not.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Quote from: Mike W on April 17, 2013, 03:21:01 PM
Thank you. I was asked by one of my crew why we have to wear a Flight Suit at the SAREX because he was told it is a CAP regulation and he can't fly as aircrew without one.
I can't find this regulation.
I am very familiar with  39-1, but want to find out where a regulation states that flight suits are mandatory at a SAREX
IIRC PCR had a supp to 60-1 that mandated NOMEX flight suits for all CAP flying....but that is not true any more.  Probably old information.

Flying Pig

Ive flown CAP missions in CAWG in jeans and a tshirt many times  ;D  May have even worn shorts too, but I may be hallucinating and would never admit to it under oath

The Infamous Meerkat

He doesn't HAVE to wear it at a SAREX, he is ALLOWED to on flight ops. You won't find a restriction from national stating he is forced to wear one because he is flight crew. He can be in a couple of other uniforms (such as BDU's and some SM uniforms) if he wishes, but is not restricted to any certain one. If he's on the ground, however, he shouldn't be wearing a flight suit for GT operations, t'would be unseemly in my opinion...  :D
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

lordmonar

One could argue that you could wear the flight suit on a GT mission.....as the restriction in 39-1 only states "Air Crew Only"......not "Air Crew while performing Flight Operations Only".

Yes this is nit picking.....and yes I agree that Flight Suits (blue or green) or the CAP Utility Uniform (which is not restricted to Flight Crew Only) are inpractical for GT.    Push comes to shove.......getting the mission done is more important than what uniform you wear.....if you "had" to fly you could do it in a Mess Dress....same story for GT....if you "had" to go out on a GT or UDF....or man a mission base position.....you could do it in a flight suit.

We have multiple uniforms (not talking about USAF vs Corporates) so that you can use the best tool for the job........but getting the job done is more important then using the right tool is most cases.

That goes for Flying Pig's comment about not wearing a CAP uniform on a mission........if getting in proper uniform would hinder the mission......then go with it.

JeffDG

Flight suits are fantastic for mission base jobs...lots of pockets.

jeders

Quote from: JeffDG on April 17, 2013, 06:10:13 PM
Flight suits are fantastic for mission base jobs...lots of pockets.

Especially the pen pockets.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Luis R. Ramos

Then again...

Looking at it from a ground team perspective...

A few weeks I was at a SAREX as a GTM3 trainee. The Ground Team Leader was wearing... a CAP flight suit. The sortie was on a state preserve. He directed all of us ground team members to deploy alongside a trail in the forest. He stayed in the trail. Because as he kept reminding us, he was not dressed for the ground we were to pound. Not even boots... in tick county! Another case of "Do as I say, not as I do..."

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

vento

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 17, 2013, 03:42:31 PM
Ive flown CAP missions in CAWG in jeans and a tshirt many times  ;D  May have even worn shorts too, but I may be hallucinating and would never admit to it under oath

Ha! You are really pulling our legs.  ;D
Jeans or shorts are only worn when requested by the "customer" and it is regulation. Supposedly Jeans and shorts make us less visible, but we are flying a red white and blue aircraft after all.  >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 17, 2013, 06:46:30 PM
Then again...

Looking at it from a ground team perspective...

A few weeks I was at a SAREX as a GTM3 trainee. The Ground Team Leader was wearing... a CAP flight suit. The sortie was on a state preserve. He directed all of us ground team members to deploy alongside a trail in the forest. He stayed in the trail. Because as he kept reminding us, he was not dressed for the ground we were to pound. Not even boots... in tick county! Another case of "Do as I say, not as I do..."

Flyer

Nothing wrong, really with the flight suit / utils for GT, but the GTL doesn't get to bow out if that's what he chooses to wear.
GBD should have made that clear or it should have been discussed in debrief.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

I have nothing whatsoever to add to this conversation except to say I still miss the days when we called them SARCAPs and SARDAs. :'(
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

The Infamous Meerkat

It may not be restricted, but Flyers GTL story makes that guy out to look like an idiot. I'll leave it up as my personal opinion that it just makes you look like a gomer who wants to be special. Mission base + Flight suit? Definitely, thats a fantastic idea. Comfort and efficiency are key there. :)
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Walkman

I could see an instance where someone who is both air & ground qualified shows up at a SAREX in a flightsuit intending to fly, but is asked to be part of a GT sortie to balance out man power issues (too many airdales & not enough ground pounders). Not the best circumstance, but it could happen.

Same thing with mission staff. MIWG sent several aircrews to the Hurricane Sandy mission, but mission base was understaffed when they arrived, so they ended up being Area Command & ABD among other things. I'm sure they flew in green bags, not sure what other uni's they packed.

I wear the same combat boots in my flight suit that I wear with my BDUs.

Just saying', YMMV, yada, yada, yada...

jeders

I don't know about Flyer's situation, but I know that every SAREX I go to, I try to fly at least one or two sorties, and so I wear my flight suit at least one day. While I'm waiting to fly I'm usually doing GBD or PSC, so I'm wearing my flight suit while I do that. Occasionally I'll be asked to go out on a GT sortie as an evaluator, and so I wear my flight suit then as well. I'm not going to hold up the whole mission just to change uniform.

Luis R. Ramos

My situation?

I just reported on what I have seen in not only this SAREX but I see it on other SAREX as well. And other posters stated happens on their wings.

On other SAREX I have seen some other personnel on ground teams wearing flight suits, as well as on other duties.

Another SAREX I was on as a ground team member, the driver was wearing the flight suit. When we went to pound the ground, the driver stayed by the van taking care of the radio.

It is not that bad a situation. It is a way to maximise personnel. As another person posted, "too many Airedales, too few other qualifications." And like jeders posts, it is a time waster to change uniforms. "No air sortie at this time? I will change to my BDU to go out as a GTM. I arrived from my GTM sortie now, I will change into my flight suit." Who wants/needs to go that way?

In my case, not enough Ground Team Leaders available necessitated an Airedale who was not flying that very second to perform as GTL on that SAREX so we could get out. In my other SAREX, we had no driver except another Airedale that was not flying that instant. I do not think it would have been good use of our time to sit down to spend all that time staring at each other's faces, right?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer