What is the story on the grey pants for polo shirt?

Started by Blues Brother, October 21, 2012, 07:10:34 PM

Private Investigator

Quote from: bflynn on October 22, 2012, 05:59:11 PM

It's less money that I have.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really feeling pinched these days.  The last thing I want to do is go pay $65 for a $25 pair of pants.

Note - the above isn't meant to be political, it's just what is.  My household budget is 125% of what it was 6 years ago, our new car payment is going to be 160% of what it was 5 years ago, our electric bill is over 200% higher and there is less discretionary spending.

I don't want to be spending anythign extra for a pair of trousers I wear twice a month.

+100%

I feel bad that good members have to let their memberships go because of the economy.   >:(

VNY

Quote from: Cool Mace on October 22, 2012, 06:02:11 PM
But HQ could easily put out what shade it needs to be, and we can buy it from where ever it's available.

They have.  Its commonly referred to as "Charcoal Grey".  Dickies come in that color, and the grey BDU pants from Propper or BDU.com are that color as well.  If you wanted to pick a shade thats relatively easy to find and match - thats it.

Grumpy

Quote from: Blues Brother on October 21, 2012, 07:10:34 PM
what is the story on the grey pants criteria?   I have a blue CAP polo from VG for meetings and need some grey pants.   There is really no clearly defined rule as to what type of pants are approved for uniform.   dress pants? pleats? no pleats? work pants?  cargo pants? BDUs? tactical pants?    whats the scoop on this?   what is generally accepted?  or does anything go as long as its grey and pants?

Reference:  CAPM 39-1, page 80, Table 4-1

Commercial dress trousers of medium gray flannel, tropical worsted, or
similar commercial blend, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats,
with or without cuffs. (No jeans or causal trousers made of cotton or twill
fabric.) Front of trouser legs rests on the front of shoe or boot. No bunching
at waist or sagging at seat. Trousers must be worn at natural waist.

What is not clear?  Another solution would be for everybody to purchase the trousers from the same vender.

VNY

Quote from: Grumpy on October 24, 2012, 05:55:02 PM

What is not clear?  Another solution would be for everybody to purchase the trousers from the same vender.

There are actually TWO sets of standards for the grey pants: the standards above are for the aviator uniform and blazer.  For the polo shirt the fabric choices increase and cotton twill IS authorized (hence my refrence to Dickies).  The style and cut are the same though.

Pants with additional pockets, cargo, tac pants or whatever are not OK.  Such are commonly worn - but by the letter of the regulation are not authorized.

Blues Brother

Quote from: VNY on October 24, 2012, 06:18:39 PM
Quote from: Grumpy on October 24, 2012, 05:55:02 PM

There are actually TWO sets of standards for the grey pants: the standards above are for the aviator uniform and blazer.  For the polo shirt the fabric choices increase and cotton twill IS authorized (hence my refrence to Dickies).  The style and cut are the same though.

Pants with additional pockets, cargo, tac pants or whatever are not OK.  Such are commonly worn - but by the letter of the regulation are not authorized.

I hear ya,  I have been on some XC flights (before joining CAP) and seeing variations on the polo & grey pants combo at different airports I saw CAP members.   I have seen everything from dockers,  dickies, cargo pants, BDUs, depending on what airport I was at.   just seems to be alot of variation on it.   they all looked nice and neat, just different pants.  I didnt see a big problem with it.   I think some people get too wound up over the grey pants thing.   I can understand the more formal uniforms being specific, but I think people need to keep practicality in mind too.

Eclipse

Quote from: VNY on October 24, 2012, 06:18:39 PMPants with additional pockets, cargo, tac pants or whatever are not OK.  Such are commonly worn - but by the letter of the regulation are not authorized.

Really?

Hm...39-1 disagrees.

"Commercial slacks/trousers in medium gray color, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. Cotton/twill weave trousers are
authorized (no jeans)." 

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I've never seen legitimate slacks/trousers with cargo pockets...

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 25, 2012, 01:17:34 AM
I've never seen legitimate slacks/trousers with cargo pockets...

trousers  
Origin
trou·sers   [trou-zerz]  Show IPA
noun ( used with a plural verb )
Sometimes, trouser. Also called pants. a usually loose-fitting outer garment for the lower part of the body, having individual leg portions that reach typically to the ankle but sometimes to any of various other points from the upper leg down. Compare Bermuda shorts, breeches, knickers ( def. 1 ) , short ( def. 29a ) , slacks.

That's all it means, any other interpretation is because of a bias.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Here are all three 39-1 entries for men's CAP distinctive uniform trousers:

Blazer:
Commercial dress trousers of medium gray flannel, tropical worsted, or similar commercial blend, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. (No jeans or causal trousers made of cotton or twill fabric.) Front of trouser legs rests on the front of shoe or boot. No bunching at waist or sagging at seat. Trousers must be worn at natural waist.

Aviator shirt:
Commercial dress slacks/trousers of medium gray flannel, tropical worsted, or similar commercial blend, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. (No jeans or casual slacks.) No bunching at waist or bagging at seat.

Golf shirt:
Commercial slacks/trousers in medium gray color, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. Cotton/twill weave trousers are authorized (no jeans).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on October 25, 2012, 02:00:42 AMNo bunching at waist or sagging at seat. Trousers must be worn at natural waist.

Wow.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Information is floating about in our wing that national made some change to the gray pants authorization but no specifics have been put out.  I speculate this has to to do with cargo pockets, but could be wrong. 

a2capt

^^ ..and then we have members of the NUC saying that no such thing was done.

Maybe a region commander made a modified uniform for one event and it spilled over, like what happened one year with the PCR conference and an alternate color pants being specified for the golf shirt, and that was just for the conference. All of a sudden it was spotted at several CAWG events, "well, they approve this".. 

Oh yeah? "cite please".

Private Investigator

Quote from: VNY on October 24, 2012, 05:30:30 PM
But HQ could easily put out what shade it needs to be, and we can buy it from where ever it's available.

They have.  Its commonly referred to as "Charcoal Grey".  Dickies come in that color, and the grey BDU pants from Propper or BDU.com are that color as well.  If you wanted to pick a shade thats relatively easy to find and match - thats it.

I got grey BDU pants from Propper. I have seen members wear them and they would be good for work details.

Blues Brother

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 25, 2012, 06:49:33 AM
Quote from: VNY on October 24, 2012, 05:30:30 PM

I got grey BDU pants from Propper. I have seen members wear them and they would be good for work details.

thats what I was thinking.   They just work.  they make sense to me.   Especially when they already wear Blue or Camo BDUs...... it makes perfect sense to allow grey BDUs with the polo.   

Blues Brother

Quote from: SarDragon on October 25, 2012, 02:00:42 AM
Golf shirt:
Commercial slacks/trousers in medium gray color, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. Cotton/twill weave trousers are authorized (no jeans).

If we get technical, this really does not exclude cargo pants or BDUs.  they are not jeans.  thats they only thing it specifies are not authorized.  it does not exclude side pockets. it its quite vague.

RiverAux

Quote from: a2capt on October 25, 2012, 04:56:32 AM
^^ ..and then we have members of the NUC saying that no such thing was done.

Maybe a region commander made a modified uniform for one event and it spilled over, like what happened one year with the PCR conference and an alternate color pants being specified for the golf shirt, and that was just for the conference. All of a sudden it was spotted at several CAWG events, "well, they approve this".. 

Oh yeah? "cite please".
What can I say other than it was put out in an official email by the guy who puts out official emails on such changes.  No ICL or Wing supplement was mentioned.  This is the item they mentioned https://www.epropper.com/products/131/productgroup/2/PROPPER%99_Men_s_Tactical_Pant_-_Lightweight.htm

EMT-83

Quote from: RiverAux on October 25, 2012, 01:21:40 PMWhat can I say other than it was put out in an official email by the guy who puts out official emails on such changes.  No ICL or Wing supplement was mentioned.  This is the item they mentioned https://www.epropper.com/products/131/productgroup/2/PROPPER%99_Men_s_Tactical_Pant_-_Lightweight.htm

Hmm, isn't that how changes are made?

Even I have an "official" .gov email account that I can use to send out "official" emails.

Eclipse

Quote from: Blues Brother on October 25, 2012, 11:16:43 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 25, 2012, 02:00:42 AM
Golf shirt:

If we get technical, this really does not exclude cargo pants or BDUs.  they are not jeans.  thats they only thing it specifies are not authorized.  it does not exclude side pockets. it its quite vague.

It's vague on purpose, just like most of the rest of the corporate variants, to allow people to shop their closets.  The problem is we have too many
people who can't even do that with common sense.

We don't need this to be defined any tighter, in either direction.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 25, 2012, 01:44:56 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on October 25, 2012, 01:21:40 PMWhat can I say other than it was put out in an official email by the guy who puts out official emails on such changes.  No ICL or Wing supplement was mentioned.  This is the item they mentioned https://www.epropper.com/products/131/productgroup/2/PROPPER%99_Men_s_Tactical_Pant_-_Lightweight.htm

Hmm, isn't that how changes are made?

Even I have an "official" .gov email account that I can use to send out "official" emails.
Yes, that is how changes are made which is why I'm still dubious about this one.   However, this isn't the case of some random guy passing along the info.  It was done through official channels....

vento

Quote from: RiverAux on October 25, 2012, 01:21:40 PM
What can I say other than it was put out in an official email by the guy who puts out official emails on such changes.  No ICL or Wing supplement was mentioned.  This is the item they mentioned https://www.epropper.com/products/131/productgroup/2/PROPPER%99_Men_s_Tactical_Pant_-_Lightweight.htm

I actually own a pair of that exact tactical pants from Propper. It is "light" grey at best and quite different than the grey that the majority of our members wear. It doesn't come anywhere close to the color of our epaulets either.