What is the story on the grey pants for polo shirt?

Started by Blues Brother, October 21, 2012, 07:10:34 PM

Blues Brother

what is the story on the grey pants criteria?   I have a blue CAP polo from VG for meetings and need some grey pants.   There is really no clearly defined rule as to what type of pants are approved for uniform.   dress pants? pleats? no pleats? work pants?  cargo pants? BDUs? tactical pants?    whats the scoop on this?   what is generally accepted?  or does anything go as long as its grey and pants?

Eclipse

The only official, published prescription is what is found in 39-1, as long as your pant meet that description, you're good.

Word is that NHQ will be clarifying the definition, but nothing has come out through any official channel.

"That Others May Zoom"

RickRutledge

Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

coudano

I generally aim to get somewhere in the neighborhood of the shade of the epaulets and name plate, hedging toward darker.

lordmonar

Quote from: Blues Brother on October 21, 2012, 07:10:34 PM
what is the story on the grey pants criteria?   I have a blue CAP polo from VG for meetings and need some grey pants.   There is really no clearly defined rule as to what type of pants are approved for uniform.   dress pants? pleats? no pleats? work pants?  cargo pants? BDUs? tactical pants?    whats the scoop on this?   what is generally accepted?  or does anything go as long as its grey and pants?
Gray.
Pants.

Beyond that is is a judgement call that MUST be routed through your chain of command because our opinions don't matter and don't count.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

cadettim

Last month I found that walmart had a very reasonable deal on these "gray uniform pants."

Now, whether they were a "medium gray," "light gray," or "charcoal," I don't know/care. They do the job and they were less than $25
Public Affairs Officer / Cadet Programs Officer

Blues Brother

Quote from: lordmonar on October 22, 2012, 01:34:44 AM
Quote from: Blues Brother on October 21, 2012, 07:10:34 PM
Gray.
Pants.

Beyond that is is a judgement call that MUST be routed through your chain of command because our opinions don't matter and don't count.

well thats pretty general description.  I would like to wear Grey BDU's simply because they are comfortable and durable.   I wear them for flying outside of CAP and if I was to fly after a meeting, I wouldnt need to change into a flight suit.  I could just fly in the grey BDUs.   I like having the pockets too.     Does anyone wear Grey BDU's with their CAP polo/golf style shirt? 

VNY

Quote from: Blues Brother on October 22, 2012, 03:01:51 AM
Does anyone wear Grey BDU's with their CAP polo/golf style shirt?

I do for field use.  Some state in the midwest actually standardized those.

If you look at the description for polo shirt pants in 39-1 and then go to the Dickies site and look at the description for 874 pants in charcoal grey - its identical.  Cut, color, and even fabric. Like they wanted to say "grey dickies" in the reg but could not as it was a brand name.

Cool Mace

Quote from: Eclipse on October 21, 2012, 07:35:07 PM

Word is that NHQ will be clarifying the definition, but nothing has come out through any official channel.

This just means VG will be getting more of our money.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

lordmonar

Quote from: Cool Mace on October 22, 2012, 05:14:01 PM

What exactly is wrong with that?

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on October 22, 2012, 05:35:17 PM

I guess I'd have to agree with the above sentiment, but further, there's been no indication that the clarification will
result in any requirement that the be purchased from any specific source.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

It's less money that I have.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really feeling pinched these days.  The last thing I want to do is go pay $65 for a $25 pair of pants.

Note - the above isn't meant to be political, it's just what is.  My household budget is 125% of what it was 6 years ago, our new car payment is going to be 160% of what it was 5 years ago, our electric bill is over 200% higher and there is less discretionary spending.

I don't want to be spending anythign extra for a pair of trousers I wear twice a month.

Cool Mace

What's wrong with that? What bflynn said.

I can go to wally-world and par $20, or spend $50 from VG.

What's the difference? Cost. Granted, it would then be uniform. But HQ could easily put out what shade it needs to be, and we can buy it from where ever it's available. 
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Cool Mace

Quote from: Eclipse on October 22, 2012, 06:04:32 PM
Who said you can't?

Right now, no one.

But I would imagine they would go to VG as a supplier Yes, I know this may not happen. And probably just getting ahead of myself like so many of us do.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Blues Brother

Quote from: bflynn on October 22, 2012, 05:59:11 PM
I don't want to be spending anythign extra for a pair of trousers I wear twice a month.
I hear ya.  thats my thing feelings,  thats why I would like to wear the grey BDU's I already have.  I just like the practicality of wearing them.  they are comfy and durable, and priced decently.  plus light and cool in the summer when you cant wear shorts because you need to be in uniform.

lordmonar

Here is the funny thing.

IF......IF........CAP mandates that we all go to the same gray slacks.....and IF vanguard becomes the sole supplier.

a) It is an optional uniform....you don't have to buy it.
b) It will have a phase in date from hell!
c) You automatically assume it will be a god aweful price.
d) It is a little late to be complaining about the costs of CAP!  If $60 pair of pants that should last you 5-6 years is going to kill you....how are you affording the $70/year CAP dues now!?

I'm sorry....I am just getting a little tired of all the Vanguard bashing.

a2capt

Even if the Big V does stock something. It's not like it's going to be them as the only source for it. You can buy every clothing item that they sell, from other sources.  Just buy the same thing for your favorite venue.