Uniform board 2012

Started by jhsmith400, August 28, 2012, 06:25:05 PM

jhsmith400

We heard for months that there was to be a report on uniform "re-structuring" in the August meeting,...so what was the result?  Knowing this is CAP talk I'll now run and hide and watch for the answers. >:D

The CyBorg is destroyed

Until Ned tells us what he knows, everything is rumour and hearsay.

I will say that I don't believe there to be any changes, except to entrench the colour grey and the blazer and no headgear for the G/W.  No changes to the AF uniform, because that would require AF approval.

On another thread Ned said the request for the ABU's is in process, but that does not mean we get them.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jhsmith400

Actually I really don't care about the ABU's I could wear it anyways at the moment, due to my own issues, but I was curious as what was going and what was staying, I agree I doubt there will be much change either, though it would be nice to have one shade of gray for the folks that have to(like me), or want to wear that instead of the rainbow of shades and style we now have.

jhsmith400

Garibaldi

Quote from: jhsmith400 on August 28, 2012, 06:42:58 PM
Actually I really don't care about the ABU's I could wear it anyways at the moment, due to my own issues, but I was curious as what was going and what was staying, I agree I doubt there will be much change either, though it would be nice to have one shade of gray for the folks that have to(like me), or want to wear that instead of the rainbow of shades and style we now have.

What gets me is that I have seen myriad personal choices when it comes to SM uniforms. I have seen AF blues shirts with gray slacks, white aviator shirt with gray cargo-style pants, blue golf shirt with khaki cargo pants.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Rick-DEL

Personally, I would prefer the ABU's. When it comes to uniform replacement, I find it harder to find decent BDU offerings in my local Army/Navy surplus. I really do not want to spend a ton at Vanguard for BDU's, and finding them for my son is a challenge (kid sizes are rare it seems). The ones we find are mostly tattered and torn. I had a few pairs left over from my USAF days that I can use, but they are weathered a bit (stationed in Hawaii/South Carolina). I did notice all the new ABU's the surplus store has in great condition.

Oh well, just a personal preference.

Eclipse

Anyone know when search will be back up and working again?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2012, 07:22:10 PM

Works for me. How didn't it work?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 28, 2012, 07:24:45 PM

Works for me. How didn't it work?

Well, it must be down if someone is going to start a new thread about both ABU's and the Conference, right?

Because there's about 4 active threads on those topics.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

No, it's working perfectly. People need to stop taking over every thread, there's more to the board/conference than just uniforms and degrees.

Cat litter has nothing to do with ICUT either.

KirkF22

So they did or didn't announce anything about the ABU wear?

Eclipse

Quote from: KirkF22 on August 28, 2012, 09:48:23 PM

Quote from: Ned on August 27, 2012, 10:11:09 PM
The NUC did deliver their brief, but there are no immediate changes to share.  NHQ is working up a package to go forward to the Office of the Secretary of Defense to receive a waiver / authorization to wear ABUs.  My personal guess is that such a request will be granted, but we are talking about a lengthy beaurocratic journey either way.

In any event, watch for the Executive Summary on the NHQ website.  Should be out soon.

"That Others May Zoom"

KirkF22

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2012, 09:55:35 PM
Quote from: KirkF22 on August 28, 2012, 09:48:23 PM

Quote from: Ned on August 27, 2012, 10:11:09 PM
The NUC did deliver their brief, but there are no immediate changes to share.  NHQ is working up a package to go forward to the Office of the Secretary of Defense to receive a waiver / authorization to wear ABUs.  My personal guess is that such a request will be granted, but we are talking about a lengthy beaurocratic journey either way.

I'm
In any event, watch for the Executive Summary on the NHQ website.  Should be out soon.

I'm a bit confused of what Ned is saying. So ABU need to be approved by the Office of the Secretary Defence before CAP gets approved?

Eclipse

Yes, and it won't be a generic approval, presumably it would have to be approved with whatever CAP "adds / moves / changes".

As of the above, there isn't even a completed proposal to submit up the chain.

"That Others May Zoom"

jhsmith400

My fault I only wanted to find out what the NUC report said. I did not want to know anything about the current 800 pound gorilla on CAPtalk (aka ABU'S).  Should have known better :-X

SARDOC

I know you're shocked.  I'm shocked that this thread was started more than 6 hours ago and we aren't 6 pages deep into the same discussions.

jhsmith400

the dead horse is truly dead maybe.

capmaj

But stating what is probably the obvious here.................. before adding yet another uniform to our inventory,( and without going into whether or not we need any particular uniform), shouldn't we be more concerned with updating and refining 39-1?

BGNightfall

^ No.  And I'll thank you not to suggest such radical and unnecessary revisions to CAP policy. 

Now, where was that permanent ICL detailing the wear of each wing's state flag immediately below the US flag on the Tiger Stripes, the boonie hat with subdued rank pinned on, and the newest Grey/White service uniform coat with sleeve rings (a la McPeak) and bright red epaulets?

badger bob

[So ABU need to be approved by the Office of the Secretary Defence before CAP gets approved?]
The decision to restrict all Battle Dress Uniforms to authorized personnel was made at SECDEF level.  All other noncombat affiliated orginizations were restricted at the same time. Any changes  will have to be authorized at SECDEF level. The last change was that CAP was again allowed to request and wear Woodland BDUs and several other agencies were allowed to request Desert BDU (Desert Storm 1 pattern). CAP was not authorized for current Battle Dress Uniforms because they do not carry a DOD combat role.

Be careful what you wish for. Because ABU is still a currently issued uniform there would be no "free surplus" uniforms for CAP. That would mean all 62,000 members would need to PURCHASE new uniforms and toss the uniforms they may have already purchased. Vanguard and AFES do not give trade-in credit.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320