Wear of CPR Patch on BDU

Started by Luis R. Ramos, July 21, 2012, 08:45:56 PM

Luis R. Ramos

Hi All-

On a different, old thread I read someone questioning wearing a CPR patch if the card for the class read Basic Life Support. I think his statement was "Basic Life Support is not CPR."

I am taking an American Heart Association instructor class. I will request approval to wear a CPR patch through channels. CAPM 39-1 shows a patch that states "American Red Cross CPR Instructor." The card I will get reads in part "in accordance with the curriculum of the AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers (CPR/AED) Program."

In other words, no one can argue that Basic Life Support or BLS is not CPR, since BLS is equated to CPR by one of the program providers in their card.

Two questions. Please state opinions:

1. Anyone else disagree?

2. Could I wear any patch that mentions CPR, or would I have to wear one that says or mention "CPR Instructor" only?

Thank you,

Luis Ramos
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

You wear the patch from the organization that certfied your training.

Per 39-1:
1. Any nationally recognized patch awarded by a certifying agency (Heart Association, American Red Cross, etc.) upon completion of a CPR training course. Patch will be removed when no longer current.

39-1 makes no allowance for an "instructor" version, and considering that CPR is no longer required by CAP, it's not really relevant whether you are one or not, only that you have completed training.  I don't think anyone with sense would make the distinction if it's important to you to display the
patch.

If CPR is included in the training curriculum of your instructor certification, then whether or not "someone" wants to argue "BLS ≠ CPR" is irrelevant.

If you're becoming an instructor to support CAP, you might as well check to insure that the curriculm actually meets the mandates of 60-3
in regards to First Aid training.  Classes in CPR / AED use generally do not.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Now I am confused. How / where do you read that CPR is not required by CAP? KB refers to it, 62-3 mentions the standards, which mention AHA CPR. Granted this class BLS does not cover the entire gamut of first aid, but again AHA offers Heartsaver First Aid which combines CPR and First Aid.

In New York, LIGSAR offered AHA Heartsaver stating it covers requirements to be certified in ES. Are you telling me that LIGSAR personnel were wronhg?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

CPR was only required for GTM, and that was dropped 4 or 5 years ago the only thing that is now required is basic first aid per OSHA  requirements for workplace safety. See 60-3, page 27.

Classes which only teach CPR and AED do not meet the requirements.

"That Others May Zoom"