Washing a BDU Cap

Started by CAP4117, January 09, 2012, 07:47:31 PM

CAP4117

I just got back from LESA-South (awesome program by the way, feel free to PM me for more info) and my BDU cap is in pretty bad shape. What is the best method of washing it? Thanks!

Extremepredjudice

Washing machine.
Dry cleaner.
Handwash.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

HGjunkie

Throw it in the wash with your BDUs and hang-dry it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

CAP4117

Ok, thanks - I just wasn't sure if it could go in the washer (because of the brim) or if I had to use special detergent or something.

rustyjeeper

yup, machine wash and them lay it somewhere to dry with the brim flat/ I put an iron on it for weight (unplugged) and a washcloth separating to let it dry two/three days and good as new

EMT-83

There's a wire form for hats that goes in the dishwasher. Hat goes inside and retains its shape while being washed.

rustyjeeper

that's more for ball caps and not so much patrol caps- unless they also have one for patrol caps/ if so I need one.
That will definitely shock the wife, she freaked when I ran her sneakers thru the dishwasher 8)
but she loved the "new" look they got!

Pylon

There is a shaper for BDU caps by the Officer Equipment Company:  http://www.vanguardmil.com/uniform-hat-shaper-round-p-100.html

I use it and it helps keep my cover shaped nicely, especially if used with a spray or two of starch.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on January 09, 2012, 09:50:51 PM
There is a shaper for BDU caps by the Officer Equipment Company:  http://www.vanguardmil.com/uniform-hat-shaper-round-p-100.html

I used to use that, but I found it cut up my head pretty bad...

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

Just like most everyone else said, wash it in the washing machine as you would your BDU pants or blouse. Except don't put it in the dryer. I usually stretch mine over the right size paint can, spray it with starch, and let it dry.

I've heard that soaking it a couple times after washing, and letting it air dry will help sustain the cover's waterproof properties. I've never actually experienced that, so YMMV.
No longer active on CAP talk

rustyjeeper

Personally I have never seen ANY waterproof qualities even with a brand new issued to me cover from the military- you want it waterproofed or made repellant buy some tent spray and go to town

titanII

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 09, 2012, 11:55:48 PM
Personally I have never seen ANY waterproof qualities even with a brand new issued to me cover from the military- you want it waterproofed or made repellant buy some tent spray and go to town
Exactly... that's why I said
Quote from: titanII on January 09, 2012, 10:44:33 PM
I've never actually experienced that, so YMMV.
Cotton is the enemy when it comes to water resistance/repellence.
No longer active on CAP talk

ol'fido

Second that on the just wash it ,set it on a towel, and let it dry. That's about all I did on active duty. Those water repellent sprays are highly flammable so if you don't want to do a Michael Jackson impersonation I'd keep it away from any heat source or open flame. Better yet just let it get wet.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SARDOC

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 09, 2012, 11:55:48 PM

Scotchgard

Hardshell Clam

As I recall, the hat has washing instructions printed on the label?

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on January 10, 2012, 12:15:35 AM

You read those?
WOW
I am impressed to have met a guy who actually reads a garmet care instruction label- We are a DIVERSE organization after all 8)

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 10, 2012, 12:42:27 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on January 10, 2012, 12:15:35 AM

You read those?
WOW
I am impressed to have met a guy who actually reads a garmet care instruction label- We are a DIVERSE organization after all 8)
Heh, mine has disappeared from sweat, and is now a black patch from how many times I've written my CAPID.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

CAP4117

Thanks for the help everyone!

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on January 09, 2012, 09:53:58 PM

I used to use that, but I found it cut up my head pretty bad...

OH! Does that bring back memories ...

SarDragon

Quote from: titanII on January 09, 2012, 10:44:33 PM
Just like most everyone else said, wash it in the washing machine as you would your BDU pants or blouse. Except don't put it in the dryer. I usually stretch mine over the right size paint can, spray it with starch, and let it dry.

I've heard that soaking it a couple times after washing, and letting it air dry will help sustain the cover's waterproof properties. I've never actually experienced that, so YMMV.

Sustain implies that a condition already exists.   ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret