The Grey Cap Thread

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, July 18, 2011, 07:22:03 PM

wuzafuzz

Campaign hats are a pain the...head.  I had one as a cop and only wore it when working special events with lots of time in the sun.  Aspirin should be issued with those things because they are not comfortable.

Mine sits on a closet shelf these days.  It's one of the few souvenirs from my badge wearing days.  I have NEVER been tempted to wear it with my CAP BDU's.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MIKE on July 19, 2011, 01:43:44 AM
I think there should be a return to the blazer nametag... 

Why do you believe that way?

Personally, I would like to see the death of the BLAZER.

First it was gray epaulets, nametags and badges, then ribbons. 

Before that, those CAP officers who had earned ribbons and couldn't/wouldn't wear the USAF uniform had absolutely no way to display them.

Now military style headgear?  The death of the CSU was your first clue.

If a fore-and-aft cap is automatically "military-style," there are a lot of Boy Scouts who have been paramilitary and didn't realise it.

Personally, I'm thinking more along the lines of Air America:

http://www.air-america.net/uni.htm

The only "clue" I got from the death of the CSU, in the absence of hard information, was a lot of rumour and innuendo ranging from "the USAF doesn't like it" (unproven) to the simple fact that it was linked to the former Generalissimo, no reason to kill a popular uniform.

But the CSU is gone.  One of the most inexplicable events I've witnessed in almost 18 years in CAP, but nothing to be done for it.

Mike, I'm not sure where you're going with this.  Do you not want those who can't/won't wear the USAF uniform (and I can and do) to not look even remotely "military?"

You're a Coast Guard Auxiliarist.  I used to be one too.  They are extremely blessed that their parent service actually likes and respects them enough to not beat them over the head about what uniforms they cannot wear.  We do not have that luxury.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

andysum15

If you want a grey uniform just look at the Royal Air Force, Very smart and would be perfect. I would have to say I do believe anyone wearing military style uniform should meet the grooming standards otherwise why not just wear the polo shirt.
The blazer should certainly go.
Maj. Andy Sumner

Spaceman3750

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 19, 2011, 07:56:36 PM
Quote from: andysum15 on July 19, 2011, 07:06:06 PM
The blazer should certainly go.

Why?
Well, ya see, in low light conditions we can't risk being mistaken for realtors.   :angel:

I actually like the blazer combo.  It's a decent uniform option for formal occasions, and the only one for folks who don't wear the AF style uniform in a post-CSU world.  Unless of course they are relegated to non-uniform wear for dinners and such.

Smithsonia

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe the Blue Blazer with an nice orange ANSI 2 vest underneath is something to consider. That way we can dazzle our dinner mates with tales of exciting CAP adventures while being ready for missions.

All we need do is rip off our Blazer, kiss our wives and say "don't wait up I'll be late tonight, dear," and dash out the door to the applause of the guests.

By the way - Gray is the spelling of the color. Grey is the spelling for the racing hound.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Sapper168

Gray vs Grey....

There are two acceptable spellings. Gray is used primarily in the United States and other areas that use US English. Grey is used in Great Britain and areas that use UK English.

The only exceptions to these rules are:

1. Proper nouns such as a last name; Earl Grey and Zane Grey would not be spelled Gray and L.H. Gray must be always be spelled Gray.

2. Greyhound as in the dog breed.

3. Food irradiation (quantity of radiation energy absorbed by the food as it passes through the radiation field during processing). 1 Gray = 0.001 kGy = 1 joule of energy absorbed per kilogram of food irradiated.

When all else fails..

grAy is how it's spelled in America
grEy is how it's spelled in England

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Hawk200

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on July 20, 2011, 01:51:54 AM
I like to use them interchangeably and really throw people off.

titanII

Quote from: andysum15 on July 19, 2011, 07:06:06 PM
anyone wearing military style uniform should meet the grooming standards
Now there's a good idea

But the blazer might need to stay. The polo isn't really appropriate for formal occasions (banquet, etc.)
No longer active on CAP talk

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Smithsonia on July 20, 2011, 01:25:59 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe the Blue Blazer with an nice orange ANSI 2 vest underneath is something to consider. That way we can dazzle our dinner mates with tales of exciting CAP adventures while being ready for missions.

All we need do is rip off our Blazer, kiss our wives and say "don't wait up I'll be late tonight, dear," and dash out the door to the applause of the guests.
I'll take one orange vest with an "S" on the chest.   ;)

Might look goofy with my gray cattlemen's hat though.  Perhaps an orange hat strap will tie them together.  Nah.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: titanII on July 20, 2011, 03:35:34 AM
But the blazer might need to stay. The polo isn't really appropriate for formal occasions (banquet, etc.)

Not if it's replaced by something like an airline pilot dress jacket...and, yes, I know you can't just walk into WalMart (I don't shop there anyway), Goodwill, Salvation Army, St Vincent's etc. and find one on the cheap.

CAN the plastic pocket protector and allow ribbons and/or miniature medals.

Or something like Air America wore...

It looks a heckuva lot better than the blazer, it looks aviation and it's in the "safe" colour of grey.

Nothing about the current G/W uniform would change except replacing the blazer.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Only by custom, not by law.

The wider Anglosphere does not use Websterian spellings, which are quite inconsistent.

Canada takes kind of a middle road between UK/US spellings, but even countries that aren't part of the Commonwealth (ie Ireland) don't use Websterian spellings.

I use traditional Anglo spellings out of personal choice, and have ever since childhood.  It used to drive my high school English teachers up the wall.

So...you say gray, I say grey.

That said, I still wonder where CAP got its fixation with grey...it's not aviation related, it's not in our history...if anything, a CAP-distinctive uniform should be a variant on pinks and greens.

However, it isn't, and the powers that be say we can't have anything else, so I'm trying to provide ideas within the "grey" framework.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

titanII

Quote from: CyBorg on July 20, 2011, 01:44:12 PM
Quote from: titanII on July 20, 2011, 03:35:34 AM

Not if it's replaced by something like an airline pilot dress jacket...and, yes, I know you can't just walk into WalMart (I don't shop there anyway), Goodwill, Salvation Army, St Vincent's etc. and find one on the cheap.

CAN the plastic pocket protector and allow ribbons and/or miniature medals.

Or something like Air America wore...

It looks a heckuva lot better than the blazer, it looks aviation and it's in the "safe" colour of grey.

Nothing about the current G/W uniform would change except replacing the blazer.
I agree, I like a gray aviation/military style jacket. I would like a variation of your top picture. Come to think of it, the jacket on the top looks somewhat like the old-style service dress (with the pleated pockets and curved flaps).
No longer active on CAP talk

Eclipse

Gray vs Grey....

There are two acceptable spellings. Gray is used primarily in the United States and other areas that use US English. Grey is used in Great Britain and areas that use UK English.

1. Proper nouns such as a last name; Earl Grey and Zane Grey would not be spelled Gray and L.H. Gray must be always be spelled Gray.

3. Food irradiation (quantity of radiation energy absorbed by the food as it passes through the radiation field during processing). 1 Gray = 0.001 kGy = 1 joule of energy absorbed per kilogram of food irradiated.

When all else fails..

Sorry, the is only one Gray:

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Erin Gray...one of my teenage crushes...I don't think I ever missed Buck Rogers.

TitanII, I think that the Air America model is something that most CAP members could at least agree is better than the status quo.

Finding a vendor could be a problem.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Al Sayre

I'm sure Vanguard would be happy to procure them for a nominal fee...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Sapper168

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 20, 2011, 07:11:19 PM

:o... I Just spit coffee onto my keyboard ..... ;D
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Hawk200

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on July 20, 2011, 07:41:10 PM

:o... I Just spit coffee onto my keyboard ..... ;D
That's a waste of perfectly good coffee.

indygreg

Quote from: Eclipse on July 20, 2011, 03:16:08 PM
Gray vs Grey....

When all else fails..

Sorry, the is only one Gray:

Wow!  Talk about fond childhood memories!

The CyBorg is destroyed

Sir, I commend you on your rapier-sharp wit...using "Vanguard" and "nominal fee" in the same sentence.

I did find this, though, at www.tallyhouniforms.com:

This is black, but this one and another style are available in charcoal grey.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011