Chewing gum in uniform?

Started by HGjunkie, October 06, 2010, 08:55:55 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: DakRadz on December 16, 2010, 12:32:09 AM
You might want to check out the number of vets and patriots on this board.

+++++2 >:(

HGjunkie

I can't tell if littleguy's been ripped to shreds or not.

First off,

Littleguy, Welcome to CAP and CAPTalk!

Second, as others have said, Professionalism is objective. If your commander tells you not to chew gum, don't get in an argument. It will get you nowhere. Remember the old saying, "Salute and execute."
Being a C/AB, you have chosed to be a part of CAP and it's missions. The mission you're in now is the cadet programs. Knowing the uniform manual in and out is not all that is required to be a cadet. Knowing the 52 series of regulations, the AF D&C manual, and Customs and Courtesies are also all important. Also, study up on those leadership books NHQ mailed you. They are extremely worthwhile to read.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Again, welcome to CAP!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

spaatzmom

Quote from: Littleguy on December 16, 2010, 12:01:53 AM
Even though I'm only a C/ab, because I can't run fast but I can run very long, I know the ins and outs of uniform regs. Simple answer is yes. You are allowed to. The miltary does worse IE smoke cigarettes. It only is a problem for those who believe we have enough time on earth to worry about meeting very small, stupid, and rather useless regulations. If it ain't in formation(poses a health risk, and it ain't part of the 3 things you can do at attention), during a military or public event(considering that it isn't before or after the important parts), or during rigourous exercise, it's 100% ok. People find it a big problem, but for what? Does it accomplish that much? If you're in CAP, your probably not stupid, so you know what you should and shouldn't do. People also advocate that you cannot use the BDU pockets to hold stuff, so they show how much coomon sense they have. Chewing gum is better than stressing out over regulations that exsist because of someones definition of professionalism. It ain't hurting anybody, professionalism is acheived by service, not by excesive regulations that show that you are dehumanized and have no common sense in the first place, and you are doing better than any smartas* because you ain't stressed out.

My condolences for what is about to befall you by others who have been in CAP longer than you have been alive.  Oh by the way spell check is a good way to make your post more professional along with the non-use of slang such as aint

Tim Medeiros

Even though I'm only a C/ab, because I can't run fast but I can run very long, I know the ins and outs of uniform regs. Simple answer is yes. You are allowed to. The miltary does worse IE smoke cigarettes. It only is a problem for those who believe we have enough time on earth to worry about meeting very small, stupid, and rather useless regulations. If it ain't in formation(poses a health risk, and it ain't part of the 3 things you can do at attention), during a military or public event(considering that it isn't before or after the important parts), or during rigourous exercise, it's 100% ok. People find it a big problem, but for what? Does it accomplish that much? If you're in CAP, your probably not stupid, so you know what you should and shouldn't do. People also advocate that you cannot use the BDU pockets to hold stuff, so they show how much coomon sense they have. Chewing gum is better than stressing out over regulations that exsist because of someones definition of professionalism. It ain't hurting anybody, professionalism is acheived by service, not by excesive regulations that show that you are dehumanized and have no common sense in the first place, and you are doing better than any smartas* because you ain't stressed out.
Oh great and wise purveyor of all things regulatory with extreme emphasis on uniforms.  I prostrate myself before you and humbly beg for you to provide your reg cite.  I wish to not be constrained by this "professionalism" of which you warn, please, enlighten me with your references so that I may bring them to my commander should he question my method of not being "stressed out".  I await your answer oh knowledgeable one.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

MICT1362

I'm not sure whether I want to write you papers for being certifiably insane, or if I want to give you instructions on how to ask to have your post removed before everybody else gets ahold of you.

Choices, choices...

-Paramedic

Hawk200

Oh, yeesh.

For starters, service includes a requirement to obey regulations and the orders of officers above you. Complying with a lot of regulations is a matter of practicing common sense, sometimes the pubs are common sense in origin. For the ones that aren't, you read them carefully, then practice them as learned. You'd do wise to learn that.

Based on your post, I'm not really convinced that you are a C/AB for the reason of not being able to run.

AngelWings

Well Hawk, its not because I can't run, its because my speed ain't fast. Everything Else I passed.
To all of you, my remarks were not about disobeying regulations, but rather using your brain to decide whats important or not. People believe I'm insane because I ain't to the whole spend every second of every day stressing, yes, stressing over certain regulations. A day you spend alot of time worrying about nothing could be a night when your life ends. It is a pity really that I am being targeted for supporting chewing gum, anyways. I have been well in compliance of the 52 series of regulations, or atleast everyone I've seen from other squadrons thinks so. If I'm insane for defneding someones choice to do something that ain't even like drugs or alcohol or even tobbaco, then I believe everyone should be insane. I know and comply with regulations, much bigger difference than agreeing with them. Anywho, you all should get to know that I am not a C/amn because I can't run in a alotted time. I've lost a great deal of weight, what like 20 pounds, went up 3 minutes from my 1st PT time of 15:32 and I do more to comply with regs than most. I simply am using a forum to voice my opinion about something that does actually affect me (5 gum is a luxury that helped me lose some weight without missing flavor.) Also, its a thing that I've seen with my own squadron being told not to chew gum at all while in uniform. From that alone I'd assume that it is in the Regs. Also, I'm in some ways insane, which makes me very well fit to fly and shoot someone down or be shot at without cracking down and worrying about my family to the point where I have no ability to think.

cap235629

Quote from: Littleguy on December 16, 2010, 07:52:50 PM
Well Hawk, its not because I can't run, its because my speed ain't fast. Everything Else I passed.
To all of you, my remarks were not about disobeying regulations, but rather using your brain to decide whats important or not. People believe I'm insane because I ain't to the whole spend every second of every day stressing, yes, stressing over certain regulations. A day you spend alot of time worrying about nothing could be a night when your life ends. It is a pity really that I am being targeted for supporting chewing gum, anyways. I have been well in compliance of the 52 series of regulations, or atleast everyone I've seen from other squadrons thinks so. If I'm insane for defneding someones choice to do something that ain't even like drugs or alcohol or even tobbaco, then I believe everyone should be insane. I know and comply with regulations, much bigger difference than agreeing with them. Anywho, you all should get to know that I am not a C/amn because I can't run in a alotted time. I've lost a great deal of weight, what like 20 pounds, went up 3 minutes from my 1st PT time of 15:32 and I do more to comply with regs than most. I simply am using a forum to voice my opinion about something that does actually affect me (5 gum is a luxury that helped me lose some weight without missing flavor.) Also, its a thing that I've seen with my own squadron being told not to chew gum at all while in uniform. From that alone I'd assume that it is in the Regs. Also, I'm in some ways insane, which makes me very well fit to fly and shoot someone down or be shot at without cracking down and worrying about my family to the point where I have no ability to think.

I would say that you are immature and have delusions of grandeur.....

Flying and shooting someone down or getting shot at are NOT part of the Civil Air Patrol experience......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

AngelWings

No I'm not immature. Ask any USAF person who has seen me. Even 1 F-16 pilot finds me impressive and is willing,if I do good in school to write me a recomendation letter, but thats over the internet. I'm in CAP so I can prepare for a life in the military and serve my community(list of events I've done: Security details, parades, 2 races, Wreaths across America, and recruitment[2 recruits recruited so far.]) Assuming immaturity is ridiculous. Whats even more ridiculous is that these drones of attacks for what: my first ammendment. I'm being called insane for christ-sake for saying its OK to chew gum in uniform when nothing important is happening, and I guess imaturity includes living life to the fullest, and now I'm being told not to be faithful, seek my goals, prepare for what might happen in the future if said goals are achieved, and to assume that people here would have an IQ high enough to automatically know I want to be a fighter pilot. What type of people are you? Certainly enough you guys are stiffer than a wood glued BDU. Let me guess, if a cadet you know made a video with other cadets, in uniform just like the USAF, dancing and joking around to Ke$ha, it would make you extremely angry. I'm here for the USAF auxillary part, what are you guys here for?

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Littleguy on December 16, 2010, 10:55:47 PM
I'm here for the USAF auxillary part, what are you guys here for?
The oath I took back in August 1999 pretty much sums up why I'm here.  "To server my community, state and nation."

I'm not here for the USAF Auxiliary part, I'm not here for the uniform, or any of the benefits, other than volunteer service.  Which as a senior member now includes imparting my knowledge of leadership, followership and the like to those willing to listen.

By the way, I'm still waiting my reg cite ;)
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

SABRE17

have you ever heard the quote "its not what you say but how you say it" ?

they way you are presenting your ideas in both ineffective and unprofessional and needs to stop this instant before our commander gets an email.

spaatzmom

Quote from: Littleguy on December 16, 2010, 10:55:47 PM
No I'm not immature. Ask any USAF person who has seen me. Even 1 F-16 pilot finds me impressive and is willing,if I do good in school to write me a recomendation letter, but thats over the internet. I'm in CAP so I can prepare for a life in the military and serve my community(list of events I've done: Security details, parades, 2 races, Wreaths across America, and recruitment[2 recruits recruited so far.]) Assuming immaturity is ridiculous. Whats even more ridiculous is that these drones of attacks for what: my first ammendment. I'm being called insane for christ-sake for saying its OK to chew gum in uniform when nothing important is happening, and I guess imaturity includes living life to the fullest, and now I'm being told not to be faithful, seek my goals, prepare for what might happen in the future if said goals are achieved, and to assume that people here would have an IQ high enough to automatically know I want to be a fighter pilot. What type of people are you? Certainly enough you guys are stiffer than a wood glued BDU. Let me guess, if a cadet you know made a video with other cadets, in uniform just like the USAF, dancing and joking around to Ke$ha, it would make you extremely angry. I'm here for the USAF auxillary part, what are you guys here for?

Cadet,

While I applaud your desire to serve in the real military, at this present time, I don't see that panning out very well.  Whoever gave you the impression that CAP will prepare you for the military life did you a huge disservice, it has nothing to do with that. CAP is a voluntary support type of organization with its own rules and regulations, some of which the Air Force can nix at any time if they feel as though it would negatively impact them.

Are you aware that the military, many companies, and colleges monitor applicants entries in social networks such as Captalk and Facebook?  What you post wherever you post it, follows you well into your future.  Many people have been adversely affected by the random "thoughts" posted; be it not getting a job, firings, poor credit, not being accepted into schools, etc.

Chewing gum even while not participating at anything related to CAP can make the chewer look well childish, slovenly, immature, unprofessional, etc to those who are captive audiences.  It is like watching someone talk with their mouth full or chewing food with their mouth open .... something you might expect a 6 year old or younger to do until taught social graces, but not a teen or older.   Remember first impressions are often correct and if not they are nearly impossible to overcome without a boat load of work.

What you may deem as unimportant, someone else especially those higher in the food chain, may feel are very important.  The biggest thing is the respect factor.  If someone tells you no gum chewing, that is it NO GUM CHEWING especially if that person is in the chain of command.  They do not owe you or anyone else an explanation as to why.  Do not be shocked if you do not get the positions you desire in the future if you cannot follow the present rules.

AngelWings

Sorry to all for my recent bad attitude. Please forgive me. I've been going through a rough patch and any material posted is not reflective of my true attitude and personality. Please accept my apology. It has been some of the worst time of my life recently, and my brain has been fried by all of the things that are going on in my life, so I am not thinking clearly. I got off on the wrong foot, and personally believe that I've been mis-using my 1st ammendment here. I acted immature, and sadly I  can't erase that. My hero's would have personally have thought I was a joke with this bad attitude. My actions were uncalled for and couldn't have been worse.
I would personally like to say that I have been acting like a little kid and couldn't have ruined my image anymore. This is the 100% worst case scenario, and I couldn't have done anything worse to offend a fellow cadet, a wing commander, and all of you.
So please, don't use this has an example of me or my squadron, and please forgive me. I learned that I shouldn't take out any of my life stress or emotions on anyone and that I should always watch what I say. I feel horrible for even have thinking at that time that this was going to fly and would like to put this behind me. I love CAP and I have had only the best treatment from other CAP members. I hope all of you have a great holiday.

cap235629

Good luck and Happy Holidays!!!!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

AngelWings

HGjunkie

Hey, don't worry about it. We all make mistakes, even i've made some posts that reflect upon me pretty bad. December isn't exactly my month of joy either. Happy Holidays!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

spaatzmom

We all have personal issues that may or may not be worse than the person next to you.  It is such a subjective thing.  However, we all must set these issues aside when dealing with others.  I know not always an easy thing to do.  Do your best each day, hour, minute, or second to keep your head above water and nose out of trouble.  Don't post anything that in the clear light of day you would not want to see come back and bite you in the butt.

Good luck with your future endeavors inside and outside of CAP.

Ron1319

Littleguy, it sure seems to me like some of the posts in response to yours are way more out of line than anything you posted.  We're talking about grown men beating up on a kid for not coming across well, much it not the least bit helpful or productive.  This forum needs some rules, mainly when it comes to direct insults, such as questioning your sanity. 

Congrats on losing 20 lbs.  Keep running and I believe that CAP can be great preparation for the military.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

DakRadz

You might want to go back and review his posts as to why exactly none were happy with him- to include me, and I'm the helpful cadink around here; I don't generally like seeing other cadinks get hammered.

I appreciate his apology, however, and will keep an open mind for his second chance. That's a good deal, IMO.

wolfgang333

Be advised if anyone regardless of who comes up to me with their breath on fire and attempts to engage me in conversation (I will) offer them a piece of gum. If they decline, I will not hesitate to tell them for what reason I'm offering and, advise them next time if you wish to have communication with me chew a piece of gum, have a mint or brush your fricken teeth prior. If in doubt, secure your breath and perform the latter. Carrying bad breath with self I consider being out of uniform, period.