Stolen Valor New Wrinkle

Started by Smithsonia, July 16, 2010, 08:54:39 PM

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Gunner C on July 24, 2010, 12:05:56 AM
...  I'm part of an effort to root out fakes who are posing as Special Forces/Green Berets.  In both areas, great pains are taken to publicly embarrass them to the greatest extent legally possible.  ...

Good on you!

I was in one of the local fast food joints with my god daughters last week when the manager made comments about "...like I learned in the 82nd Airborne."  Having been a member of The Division on several occasions, I asked him when and with who?  Who knows, we might know some of the same people since there is so much homesteading going on at Bragg.  He gave some dates and said " I wasn't in a unit, I was in black ops." 

DING DING DING BULL #### ALERT! BULL #### ALERT! DING DING DING

I very loudly called him on it and said that the 82nd didn't do black ops, it was just a light infantry unit with an interesting way of getting to work.  He retreated behind the counter to his office and wouldn't come back out.  I'm going back with some friends this week who also have senior and master wings to see if we can't embarrass him some more.

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Major Lord

Well, I guess you just were not cleared for the 82nd Airborne Black-Ops programs that put sleeper agents in Fast Food management positions to be ready against the inevitable Taco-Bell wars! You know too much now though , I am afraid.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

MSG Mac

Maybe the Manager is on an undercover anti-immigration  mission. He'll hire illegal immigrants, call a staff meeting, and turn them over to ICE.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NIN

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on July 26, 2010, 03:57:17 PM
I very loudly called him on it and said that the 82nd didn't do black ops, it was just a light infantry unit with an interesting way of getting to work.  He retreated behind the counter to his office and wouldn't come back out.  I'm going back with some friends this week who also have senior and master wings to see if we can't embarrass him some more.

Gawd, I love that. 

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Major Lord

Authenticating Questions for posers:

Army Rangers: What was your class number?

Seals: BUDS class number and who was your swim team buddy?

SAS: What Color is the Boat house at Hereford?

Paramilitary CIA Contractors: What color was your badge?

PJ's: Whats your favorite Hair Gel? (okay, this one needs some refinement-help me out)

82 Airborne Covert Ops ( So whats the difference between a Gordita and a Chalupa anyway?

Seriously, maybe we could put together a list of quick and dirty screening questions for members? If a Ranger or a Seal l for instance "can't remember" their class number, they either have Alzheimer's or they are bogus. Mozambique them tout suite for their own protection ( IF they take the gun away and embed it in one of your bodily orifices, you might have to reconsider the Alzheimer diagnosis....

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

DakRadz

Guess what? This guy my mom knows, he was SOOO TOtALLY A Navy SEAL!!! It's AWESOME!

Nah, not really. He's a poser, but I haven't been able to personally confront him. Now I have two questions to do it with :D Mom told me about it, she thinks he's full of it, but wanted me to try my hand, since I know the military better.

I look forward to it- he's trying to pose around someone who really was Navy (another friend) and me, a hopeful.

rmcmanus

If some "poser" claims he was in Viet Nam, ask him to state his DEROS (date expected return from overseas service).  No one ever forget that one!  If he claims to have been there in the "final days" of the war (the troop pullout  in 1973, not the embassy fiasco a few years later), ask him what "X-day did he DEROS." ( X-1 through 61; January 27 through March 28/29 ( timezone confusion stateside)

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: rmcmanus on July 29, 2010, 05:48:35 PM
If some "poser" claims he was in Viet Nam, ask him to state his DEROS (date expected return from overseas service).  No one ever forget that one!  If he claims to have been there in the "final days" of the war (the troop pullout  in 1973, not the embassy fiasco a few years later), ask him what "X-day did he DEROS." ( X-1 through 61; January 27 through March 28/29 ( timezone confusion stateside)

Actually, it would now be DROS - Date Rotated from OverSeas.  But if you ask him his Dee-Rose, he should still be able to answer.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it