Fabric Strip Name Tapes

Started by smitjud, May 20, 2008, 02:22:17 AM

O-Rex

you know, if Vanguard stocked them, I'd buy them.

Its ridiculous: cotton webbing is SO WWII: nobody uses them anymore.

When I was AD Army, I had a bunch of fabric name and branch tapes made in Korea to last me until I got out.  Funny, they were "the standard" over there, and when I got back  folks (who hadn't been to Korea) asked 'wow, where did you get those?!"

As I was getting out, nylon webbing nametapes became the rage, then disappeared.

Point is, CAP should get with the program when we switch to ABU's someday.....

DC

My mom was in the FL National Guard, her BDU tapes were made of nylon, with the words printed on them, instead of being embroidered. This was around 1990 - 1991...

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on May 25, 2008, 09:52:56 PM
My mom was in the FL National Guard, her BDU tapes were made of nylon, with the words printed on them, instead of being embroidered. This was around 1990 - 1991...

I remember those. Saw them around the Air Force too, on occassion. When I was in Basic, they had some that were some type of loom woven, very similar to the tags inside some shirts and such. The nametape was the cotton webbing type, so you had two different types of tape on your BDU's.

Those woven and printed tapes tended to unravel at the edges. I, and most of the people I knew, replaced them with tapes that matched the webbing type of nametape. It looked better.

O-Rex

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 25, 2008, 10:31:57 PM
Quote from: DC on May 25, 2008, 09:52:56 PM

I remember those. Saw them around the Air Force too, on occassion. When I was in Basic, they had some that were some type of loom woven, very similar to the tags inside some shirts and such. The nametape was the cotton webbing type, so you had two different types of tape on your BDU's.

Those woven and printed tapes tended to unravel at the edges. I, and most of the people I knew, replaced them with tapes that matched the webbing type of nametape. It looked better.

I got those when I joined the Army in 1982: the U.S. Army tape was woven nylon and the nametape was ink stamped on nylon, which tended to fade.  Yes, we too replaced them with webbing (the only thing available at that time.)

Fabric nametapes had been around for ages: I've seen some old jungle fatigues and T-stripes from Vietnam that had them-and they still looked good.

mikeylikey

^ The stamped nametapes used in Basic were a cost saving measure....nothing more.  They could also be produced in seconds as opposed to fabric ones which take longer. 
What's up monkeys?

O-Rex

Got the fabrics, very nice!  Since they are made of 50/50 nyco, they really don't shrink much (washed and dried them on high heat just to be sure.)

Also a "tight stitch" when sewing nametapes will help keep them from bunching up when you wash & dry even if you do use cotton webbing.  If you do your own sewing, about a 1.5 setting on a Singer will do the trick.  If you take your BDU's somewhere to have them done, just explain what you want a small stitch (they don't like to do it because it takes longer & uses more thread.)  The drawbacks are that its a royal pain to remove, and you might not be able to 'recycle' the branch or nametapes on other uniforms.

mikeylikey

Got Mine.  Highly reccomended!  I ordered on Sunday and they arrived toady!  Take that Vanguard (Vanguard is evil........evil!)
What's up monkeys?

Quote from: SJFedor on May 25, 2008, 01:28:00 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2008, 01:33:39 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on May 20, 2008, 11:33:11 AM
I got them too (for my last name) but they won't do CAP branch tapes, as they got a C&D from NHQ legal. 

Just indicate what you want them to say.

They also make very nice flight badges...

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  >:(

For the flight badges, do they already have the artwork for the Wings?  or do we have to provide them with that? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

And people wonder why these sites get C&D letters.
Mike Johnston

smitjud

It's a shame that CAP got so picky with the proprietary stuff after the Vanguard swap.  There were so many companies that like [sanitized] made beautiful flight badges (Watkins Aviation being one that comes to mind) of superior quality to Vanguard.

Can anyone explain to me the arrangement that allowed the Hock Shop to keep producing items when so many others were forced to quit?

Also, got a great, encouraging answer on the knowledgebase the other day - might be more suitable for a new topic, but since we're on the subject of alternate purchase points, asked a question in regards to the golf shirt:

The question I asked was:

QuoteDoes the CAP Golf Shirt have to be purchased from Vanguard, or can you buy a shirt from a different, preferred manufacturer such as Under Armour or 5.11 and have the logo affixed yourself?

The answer received:

QuoteThere is no requirement to purchase the golf shirt from Vanguard as long as it is the same color and meets the specifications in CAPM 39-1.

Please see knowledgebase answer(s) below for additional details.

Title: Wear of the Golf Shirt Uniform
URL: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1365&p_created=1091213887

Kind of an interesting answer given their past stance on alternate vendors, don't you think?

Again... hint, hint - MIKE
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

O-Rex

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 28, 2008, 04:37:15 PM
Got Mine.  Highly reccomended!  I ordered on Sunday and they arrived toady!  Take that Vanguard (Vanguard is evil........evil!)

evil........evil! 

-quote from Spongebob's Mermaid Man?   I watch My kid watches it alot.

Funny, the last two orders from the 'good folks' were for fabric, and they screwed up and sent me webbing.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you: if I ever need a set of "field" BDU's for NESA or something, I have plenty of cotton web tapes...

They do ship quick, don't they?

It would be nice if Vanguard could get fabric name and branch tapes from the same vendor that does the gore-tex slide-ons: same type of material.

mikeylikey

Quote from: O-Rex on May 28, 2008, 08:10:14 PM
evil........evil! 

-quote from Spongebob's Mermaid Man?   I watch My kid watches it alot.

You Sir, are correct!   :clap:
What's up monkeys?

FlyingTerp

Just received my fabric strip name tapes today.  3 days from order to delivery!

The quality is great and the fabric strip looks much nicer than webbing.

Here's a quick comparison:

DC

That does look really nice, even the detail of the embriodery is better.

JC004

Quote from: DC on June 01, 2008, 12:10:21 AM
That does look really nice, even the detail of the embriodery is better.

They are really nice.  I like mine a lot.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

FlyingTerp

Quote from: DC on June 01, 2008, 12:10:21 AM
That does look really nice, even the detail of the embroidery is better.

The 1800nametape embroidery is much better.  Vanguard's webbing tape is not as bold and notice that the print is not even. 

sarflyer

Wow! I can't believe the difference in quality.  My unit will be using 1800 from now on.
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

DC

The print isn't centered on the webbing either.

Thanks for posting the pics, they look great, I will definately order from them from now on.