Fabric Strip Name Tapes

Started by smitjud, May 20, 2008, 02:22:17 AM

smitjud

So, I ordered some new nametapes last Friday from www.1800nametape.com (note, this company no longer sells CAP insignia, which sucks because theirs was superior to anything on the market - you can still get Civil Air Patrol tapes though, just specify that as your last name on the white on blue tape).

They came today and look great - better quality than anything I have ever received from The Hock Shop or Vanguard.

The catch, I ordered a new product they have that I think will look wonderful once I get it sewn on to my uniform.  Sure they have the traditional tapes stiched on the webbing, they have the nylon tapes that I don't think anyone really cares for, but new on the market is fabric strip tapes.  This material selection makes your nametape on the same material that your collar insignia and specialty insignia are embroidered on and gives several advantages, so they say.

Maybe this isn't "new" but it's new to me.  Anyone else have any experience with this and have any thoghts on the pros and cons?  Here is what they had to say.

QuoteSpur Name Tapes would like to introduce possibly the next generation embroidered name tapes.   At the beginning of 2001, the U.S. NAVY started the "Fabric Strip" name tapes.  Instead of the 1 inch tape, they went with a 1 1/4 inch tape.  The tapes are strips of olive drab 65/35 polyester/cotton material folded and fused together.  The material is the exact same material that is used in the production of collar and breast insignias.  The U.S. NAVY put the tapes through vigorous testing before being approved.  With that in mind, we thought the tapes looked so good that we decided to make the fabric strips in the 1 inch tape so it can be used by other branches of the armed forces.

We constantly have people looking for "premium tapes" and we do offer the nylon tapes.  The fabric strip tapes are another option for premium tapes enthusiast and well worth looking into.

What we like about Fabric Strip Tapes:

They sew better than webbed tape.
They look better than webbed tape.
They are always the same color.
They are the same material as the cloth insignias.
The uniforms look more "uniform" with the using the same material for both the name tapes and insignias.
Over time, they maintain the same appearance as the uniform.
The tape is always exactly 1 inch.
Fabric strips are easier for a seamstress to sew on.

What we DON'T like about Fabric Strip Tapes:

More involved process of making the tape.
Not enough people know about them.

JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

JC004

Interesting...I'd like to know more.

DC

Seems interesting, can you post pics when you get them sewn on?

smitjud

Absolutely.  Will be next week sometime at the earliest probably.  Out of town at the AL/MS Hurricane Conference this week for work.
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

O-Rex

They do make great nametapes

I got them too (for my last name) but they won't do CAP branch tapes, as they got a C&D from NHQ legal.  :-[

I bought the fabric strip from them, and have a local shop that will do the embroidery.

Like an idiot a good trooper, I did the 'salute & execute' thing when the U.S. Civil Air Patrol branch tapes came out.

Tubacap

There is no blue in the drop down menu for the fabric tapes.  Did you call them?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

O-Rex

Quote from: Tubacap on May 20, 2008, 11:46:58 AM
There is no blue in the drop down menu for the fabric tapes.  Did you call them?

It's under the "Law Enforcement" section. . . .

Eclipse

Quote from: O-Rex on May 20, 2008, 11:33:11 AM
I got them too (for my last name) but they won't do CAP branch tapes, as they got a C&D from NHQ legal. 

Just indicate what you want them to say.

They also make very nice flight badges...

"That Others May Zoom"

smitjud

I they won't do CAP branch tapes, as they got a C&D from NHQ legal.  :-[

They will, I ordered and received them.  You just have to specify "Civil Air Patrol" as your last name when you order them on the website (They don't check ID to verify that you name is indeed not "Civil Air Patrol").  Ordered the branch and my name tapes on Friday and recieved them Monday (as oppossed to the weeks that Hock or Vanguard can take.

What they won't make anymore are the plastic or metal name tags and insignia.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

smitjud

ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Hawk200

I had fabric strip nametapes on both Army and Air Force BDU's (when those branches still had them). I liked them. They didn't wrinkle up like the woven ones, stayed flat, and had the same fade as the uniform. They also matched the cloth background on the badges, so overall, they looked better.

Didn't know you could "end run" around the order system, but I may have to try it.

DNall

You all need to cease & desist right now!! You're going to get one of my favorite suppliers in trouble and I don't want lower quality for higher price when I can avoid it.

O-Rex

Quote from: smitjud on May 20, 2008, 01:54:02 PM
they won't do CAP branch tapes, as they got a C&D from NHQ legal.  :-[

You just have to specify "Civil Air Patrol" as your last name when you order them on the website (They don't check ID to verify that you name is indeed not "Civil Air Patrol"). 

Gee, why didn't I think of that before-duh!

JC004

I just got some fabric nametapes delivered today.  They're great.  smitjud, thanks!   :clap:

SJFedor

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2008, 01:33:39 PM
I got them too (for my last name) but they won't do CAP branch tapes, as they got a C&D from NHQ legal. 

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  >:(

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

Quote from: SJFedor on May 25, 2008, 01:28:00 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2008, 01:33:39 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  >:(

That site was listed as an official sponsor of the GLR conference, which several of the NHQ command staff attended, including the iCC, they are far from a secret...

"That Others May Zoom"

SSgt Rudin

I ordered 3 sets yesterday for my new BBDU's, I'll throw some pic's up when I get them both pre and post sewing them on
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mikeylikey

Guess I will be ordering some as well...... :clap:
What's up monkeys?

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 25, 2008, 04:16:49 AM

Peer pressure's a [censored]....
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mikeylikey

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on May 25, 2008, 04:34:52 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 25, 2008, 04:16:49 AM

Peer pressure's a [censored]....

Man tell me about it......Colgan and everyone else that "went out and bought them all up" say how great they feel.  I just want a set I can run my fingers over.... :o
What's up monkeys?