Main Menu

Curry Voucher?

Started by AirAux, October 07, 2015, 04:29:22 PM

xray328

I'm not looking to pawn it off on Wing, I'm looking for a solution to the problem that's all.  I'm sure you didn't mean anything there.

Sounds like a lot of and effort was put into what's currently in place and I'm sure the folks that set it all up did their very best with what they had.  It'll never be perfect no matter what we do I guess.  Hopefully Vanguard finds a supplier that can offer cadet quality items at a lower cost.  Not low quality by any means, just not $50 shirts your kids going to outgrow in 6 months.

I do like the idea of taking the van down a few times a year the the closest AF base for an AAFES visit, thanks for that suggestion.

CAPDCCMOM

If you can take your unit van to the Base, check and see if the Base has a thrift store. I get almost new shirts for $2, pants for $3. You can really find great deals if you are willing to pick through and look.

AirAux

Only if you have access to that facility.  I take it we can no longer order from AFEES?  Why can't that become a reality??

LTC Don

Quote from: xray328 on October 08, 2015, 06:35:20 PM
Not low quality by any means, just not $50 shirts your kids going to outgrow in 6 months.

I do like the idea of taking the van down a few times a year the the closest AF base for an AAFES visit, thanks for that suggestion.

Typically it's the pants that get outgrown the fastest.  The key there is to educate parents on the hem -- Meaning, to make sure they know not to 'stovepipe' the hem, but make sure it slopes from the middle or almost the bottom lace-hole to the sole/upper boundary at the heel.  And, to make sure they allow at least a two-inch cuff for growth.  Stovepiping exacerbates the problem of cadets outgrowing the pants.

Secondly, I'm not sure about the items Vanguard sells, but the issue items from AAFES tend to run small, so one needs to plan accordingly and hopefully try before you buy if you do get to a base, then buy a size bigger.  ;)
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

NC Hokie

Quote from: AirAux on October 08, 2015, 07:50:18 PM
I take it we can no longer order from AFEES?  Why can't that become a reality??

That expired equine was already beaten earlier in this thread.  Alas, our membership in the Total Force (but only when conducting AFAMs) does not go quite that far.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JC004

Does anyone have the FULL list of what all can be purchased with it? 

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on October 08, 2015, 03:28:34 PM
Quote from: Ned on October 08, 2015, 02:46:11 PM
Reports of survey

Come on Ned.  Reports of survey are fun.  Periodic 100% inventories are always a good way to blow a few days at the office :)

How many did you get to participate in?

He was a Company Commander, need I say more?

xray328

Quote from: JC004 on October 08, 2015, 09:47:03 PM

Attached...

JC004

So they can now use it to pay for nametags, cap device, etc.? 

Because if the unit can provide some of the items, it won't make the voucher like $50 short.

abdsp51

Using the figures above for just blues and blues alone I believe my grand total was 115 dollars.  If you remove the chevrons, ribbon and mounting bar then I get 104.3 so I don't see based off the data provided how this is not feasible..

kwe1009

Remember that the previous AAFES system only supplied the shirt, pants, and flight cap.  All other times were on the individual and/or squadron to procure.  Those items on Vanguard are $126.35 for a male cadet or $100.75 for a female.  That means that CAP is now $26.35 more expensive for cadets than it was last year.  So all of the issues that people have with the new program are over $26.35 for a male and $0.75 for a female.

People need to quit adding the costs of socks, shoes, BDUs, etc as they were never provided by AAFES, at least not in the few years I have been in CAP.

So what is the benefit of the additional cost?  Getting the blue uniform about 6 months earlier than the previous system.  I think that is worth the extra money and as others have noted, it is still one the cheapest youth activity out there.

kwe1009

Quote from: kwe1009 on October 09, 2015, 02:23:23 PM
Remember that the previous AAFES system only supplied the shirt, pants, and flight cap.  All other times were on the individual and/or squadron to procure.  Those items on Vanguard are $126.35 for a male cadet or $100.75 for a female.  That means that CAP is now $26.35 more expensive for cadets than it was last year.  So all of the issues that people have with the new program are over $26.35 for a male and $0.75 for a female.

People need to quit adding the costs of CAP insignia, socks, shoes, BDUs, etc as they were never provided by AAFES, at least not in the few years I have been in CAP.

So what is the benefit of the additional cost?  Getting the blue uniform about 6 months earlier than the previous system.  I think that is worth the extra money and as others have noted, it is still one the cheapest youth activity out there.

Майор Хаткевич

I ran these numbers a while ago, but can't seem to find the post.

As far as I remember, AAFES used to provide: Flight Cap, Shirt, Pants, Belt.  4 items

So for a male on VG:
Flight Cap: $19.45
Shirt: $47.50
Trousers: $59.40
Belt: $16.90
Total: $143.25

For a female on VG:
Flight Cap: $19.45
Shirt: $47.50
Slacks/Skirt: $54.00
Belt: $16.90
Total: $137.85

So the difference is actually $43.25 vs 37.85 Male/Female compared to pre-Voucher days.

The cost of AAFES uniforms was also less, under $70 bucks.

xray328

Check the price sheet I posted, Vanguard discounts items on the Curry Voucher list

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: xray328 on October 09, 2015, 03:28:59 PM
Check the price sheet I posted, Vanguard discounts items on the Curry Voucher list

Ok, was that actual voucher pricing? I haven't had a way to get my hands on it yet. So they did do a price break?

xray328

Yes, it's saves you a few bucks.  The $59 pants are $55 for instance. They must of been trying to keep the pants/shirt set under $100.

Bad thing about them (I don't know AAFES policy) is that you pay shipping, then if it doesn't fit you pay shipping back to them, then you pay shipping again when they send you the new item.  That added $25 or so in our case.  Not saying that's an unfair policy, it just adds to the cost if you can't try the items on at the squadron first.

Майор Хаткевич

So for a male on VG:
Flight Cap: $19.45 -2.45
Shirt: $47.50 -3.50
Trousers: $59.40 -4.40
Belt: $16.90 -7.95
Total: $143.25 -  $18.30 = $124.95

For a female on VG:
Flight Cap: $19.45 -2.45
Shirt: $47.50 -3.50
Slacks/Skirt: $54.00 -4
Belt: $16.90 -7.95
Total: $137.85 - $17.90 = $119.95

So now the new costs to cadets compared to AAFES is $24.95 and $19.95

JC004

Quote from: xray328 on October 09, 2015, 04:46:39 AM
Quote from: JC004 on October 08, 2015, 09:47:03 PM

Attached...

ty.

So since the total, for a male cadet, for example, is $183.45 (complete, with shoes/insignia), and I was able to issue a cadet a shirt and pants from unit supply, would the voucher zero out and make the complete uniform free?

Or is the sheet just for convenience (not what the voucher covers)?

Alternatively, we can get them a shirt for $30 less from AAFES, and have $30 to work with on the voucher if it covered anything on the sheet.

We have some belts, a couple flight caps, some pants, couple shirts...

We have cadets with financial issues.  We need a definite answer for them.

Ned? 

Paul Creed III

Can cadets use the monthly discount code that Vanguard posts on their Facebook page along with the Curry Voucher?
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

xray328

No, they send you the form, you fill it out and send it back.  There's no money exchanging hands and no further discounts.