can you put cap ribbons on military uniform

Started by cadet RAFT, SHAWN, January 15, 2015, 06:39:28 PM

cadet RAFT, SHAWN

i was curios about when i come out of basic training for the air force if i can wear CAP ribbons on my USAF uniform.  i know you can wear military ribbons on the CAP uniform but i don't know if it works the other way.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: cadet RAFT, SHAWN on January 15, 2015, 06:39:28 PM
i was curios about when i come out of basic training for the air force if i can wear CAP ribbons on my USAF uniform.  i know you can wear military ribbons on the CAP uniform but i don't know if it works the other way.

Ask your TI when you get to Lackland.

James Shaw

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Flying Pig

Flying Pig

OK that was mean..... No, you cant :'(  Dont worry though, when you get out of USAF basic, you'll have probably 9 ribbons anyway!

James Shaw

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 15, 2015, 06:57:15 PM
OK that was mean..... No, you cant :'(  Dont worry though, when you get out of USAF basic, you'll have probably 9 ribbons anyway!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 15, 2015, 06:42:20 PM

Now, that's just mean.

No, you can't wear CAP ribbons on an Air Force uniform. And do yourself a favor and DON'T ask your TI about it.  ;)

ColonelJack

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 15, 2015, 07:07:55 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 15, 2015, 06:42:20 PM

Now, that's just mean.

No, you can't wear CAP ribbons on an Air Force uniform. And do yourself a favor and DON'T ask your TI about it.  ;)

Do yourself a bigger favor - don't ask your TI anything at Lackland.  In fact, try as hard as you can not to have your TI notice you at all.

Trust me.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

lordmonar

That can work both ways sometimes.

We were in out third week of training when the TI looked at one of the guys in the day room and said "Are you in my flight?"  From that moment on the TI was eye balling him every second and volun-telling him for everything that was "high profile".

Was pretty cool actually.   The guy actually ended up with an Honor Grad!   

:o
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DoubleSecret

Cadet,

Would you rather be the guy who knows things, or the guy who asks the guy who knows things?

If you ask us, you only know what we tell you.  If you look it up for yourself in the appropriate source, you're more in charge of your own fate.

I'll help you part of the way:  AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel, would be your starting point.  I challenge you to review it and report back to the group.

Best wishes to you on your future USAF career,
A retired USAF MSgt and CAP Lt Col

The CyBorg is destroyed

Short answer: NO...just as members of the Army and Air National Guard cannot wear State ribbons on their uniforms when on Federal Active Duty.  A lot of Guard troops have two sets of ribbon racks.

Some State Defence Forces permit it.

Do NOT mention CAP to your MTI.  For whatever reason, MTI's tend to disdain CAP.  Mine made no secret of it...when he asked the Flight if anyone had JROTC experience, one recruit put his hand up and said "Sir, I have similar experience with the Civil Air Patrol..."  The MTI descended on him like a ton of bricks and screamed "I SAID JROTC!  I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE [farg]ING CIVIL AIR PATROL!"  He went on to make several disparaging statements about CAP.

As for keeping a low profile...I don't know that it's actually possible.  I am one who is normally able to almost-uncannily blend into the background but the MTI knew who I was quite easily.  I don't think anyone in my Flight escaped his wrath.

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 15, 2015, 06:57:15 PM

I've heard that new Airmen coming out of Lackland have a lot more ribbons these days.  Back in my day, when the Air Force uniform did not look like a business suit and there were still Buck Sergeants, it was possible to graduate with the NDSM, AF Training Ribbon, the Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon  and the Honour Grad Ribbon...most only got the NDSM and AF Training Ribbon.  I don't know what they can get now, though I have heard that some states have ribbons for those who have excelled in BMT, or for those who just graduate!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

BMTS, Honor Grad, Marksman, and National Defense what a basic comes out with now.....last time I checked.

They get the GWOT-S medal after 30 days of "operations"...but they passed this down to the MAJCOMs to control so they may be getting those as well.

When I was as basic in '86 (please note the date so everyone knows that my info may be dated) we only got BMTS, Marksmen, Honor grad

Flying Pig

Quote from: lordmonar on January 15, 2015, 11:29:06 PM

When I was as basic in '86 (please note the date so everyone knows that my info may be dated) we only got BMTS, Marksmen, Honor grad

Teachers pet

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on January 15, 2015, 11:29:06 PM
Honor grad

A ribbon that I am still surprised has not crossed into CAP.

After all, if the USAF awards a ribbon to its BMT honor graduates, then we should award a ribbon to our encampment honor grads. >:D

flyboy53

Quote from: DoubleSecret on January 15, 2015, 10:00:58 PM

Cadet,

Would you rather be the guy who knows things, or the guy who asks the guy who knows things?

If you ask us, you only know what we tell you.  If you look it up for yourself in the appropriate source, you're more in charge of your own fate.

I'll help you part of the way:  AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel, would be your starting point.  I challenge you to review it and report back to the group.

Best wishes to you on your future USAF career,
A retired USAF MSgt and CAP Lt Col

It's the same policy as with the National Guard (and CAP) where not even Guard ribbons are allowed to be worn on an active duty AF uniform.

However, granted the AFI, there are sometimes exceptions to policy. If the CAP award is a decoration of some sort, take the award elements to Base Personnel and see if it can be worn. That way, they will add it to your military records and records rip.

capmaj

I never understood the BMT ribbon. You have to have graduated Basic training to be wearing any ribbons...... so why is there a ribbon for it?

kwe1009

Quote from: capmaj on January 16, 2015, 01:57:57 PM
I never understood the BMT ribbon. You have to have graduated Basic training to be wearing any ribbons...... so why is there a ribbon for it?

I'm with you.  The military has a lot of ribbons like that.

AlphaSigOU

You may enlist at a higher grade and get the commensurate pay and bennies, but you don't sport the stripes until BMTS graduation. The AFTR was created as a replacement for the NDSM since the latter medal is only awarded during periods of armed conflict. (Exception: service academy cadets can wear the NDSM from day one, even in 'peacetime' conditions.) Go back to ROTC/OTS/Academy and complete the training, you can add an oak leaf cluster to the AFTR.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

abdsp51

Quote from: flyboy53 on January 16, 2015, 01:09:43 PM
However, granted the AFI, there are sometimes exceptions to policy. If the CAP award is a decoration of some sort, take the award elements to Base Personnel and see if it can be worn. That way, they will add it to your military records and records rip.

Yeah no.  If it's not listed in the AFI it can't be worn.

LSThiker

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 16, 2015, 02:54:17 PM
(Exception: service academy cadets can wear the NDSM from day one, even in 'peacetime' conditions.)

Not correct.  Academy cadets can wear the NDSM only if they attend the academy during a period of inclusion:

Quote from: AR 600-8-22Cadets of the U.S. Military Academy are eligible for the NDSM, during any of the inclusive periods listed above,
upon completion of the swearing-in ceremonies as a cadet.

Even AFI 36-2803 agrees, but is a little less direct than the Army:

Quote6.10.1. The NDSM was established on 22 April 1953, and amended 11 January 1966, to recognize honorable active military service during periods of conflict or national crisis.

Members of the Armed Forces of the United States, to include the US Coast Guard, who are on Active Duty, members of the Selected Reserve in good standing, members of other than the Selected Reserve called to Active Duty, cadets in the USAF Academy, and USAF members who have completed USAF Basic Training are eligible for the medal. Ineligible members include ROTC cadets and members called to active duty for the sole purpose of undergoing a physical examination, for training only, or to serve on boards, courts, or commissions.

QuoteKorean Conflict
27 June 1950 - 27 July 1954
Vietnam Conflict
1 January 1961 - 14 August 1974
Operations DESERT SHIELD/STORM
2 August 1990 - 30 November 1995
Global War on Terrorism
11 September 2001 - Date to be Determined

LSThiker

For those that transfer from the Army to the USAF and the USAF to the Army. :)

bflynn

Someone with prior service (any branch) would not go through BMT.  Maybe that means 99% of the people wear it.

lordmonar

After the end of the Vietnam war.....graduates of BMTS no longer had any ribbon to put on their uniforms.  (the National Defense Service Medal end day for that era was 14 aug 1974).....by 1980 this bothered USAF types and they created the Air Force Training Ribbon and made it retro active to 1974 so that everyone would have something on the left side upon graduation.

The Army followed suit in 1981.

Flying Pig

When I went to boot camp (USMC) I had DI's who were Staff Sgt's who only has 4-5 ribbons total :)  The ones who had been to Desert Shield/Storm may have had 4-5 more.  To see someone in the Marines in the 90s with more than a couple rows of ribbons was pretty rare.  When I switched from the Marines to the Army... I didnt rate the rainbow ribbon because I never attended any AIT

lordmonar

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 16, 2015, 04:29:19 PM
When I went to boot camp (USMC) I had DI's who were Staff Sgt's who only has 4-5 ribbons total :)  The ones who had been to Desert Shield/Storm may have had 4-5 more.
Sucks to be a Marine.  :)

But on the other side of that coin.....you guys all had some cool dangleies, and your dress uniform is the envy of the world!

Flying Pig

Quote from: lordmonar on January 16, 2015, 04:34:49 PM
When I went to boot camp (USMC) I had DI's who were Staff Sgt's who only has 4-5 ribbons total :)  The ones who had been to Desert Shield/Storm may have had 4-5 more.

But on the other side of that coin.....you guys all had come cool dangleies, and your dress uniform is the envy of the world!

You mean all the female danglies who attract to our dress blues like moths to a porch light? 

lordmonar

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 16, 2015, 04:38:56 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 16, 2015, 04:34:49 PM

But on the other side of that coin.....you guys all had come cool dangleies, and your dress uniform is the envy of the world!

You mean all the female danglies who attract to our dress blues like moths to a porch light?
Your rifle and pistol Qualification Badges.

Flying Pig

LSThiker

Quote from: bflynn on January 16, 2015, 04:16:31 PM

Someone with prior service (any branch) would not go through BMT.  Maybe that means 99% of the people wear it.

Yes and no.  USAF accepts all basic military training.  The Army accepts only USMC and Army basic training.  Navy I am not sure about.  USMC only accepts USMC basic.  So if you transfer from one service to another, you may have to complete basic training again depending on the conditions, regardless of rank.

capmaj

Graduated USAF Basic in 1968. All you got then was the National Defense. If you graduated with 'Honors', you got a stripe. That was it.

The CyBorg is destroyed

It was weird for my dad.  He did two years in the National Guard, and he said back then Guardsmen didn't go to Army BCT (but they drilled every Wednesday night).  He got out of the Guard and intended to join the Navy, got as far as talking with a recruiter and filling out his initial paperwork...and got drafted into the Army.  He then had to go through Army Basic at Fort Hood but I think because of his Guard service he came out already a PFC (he'd made Corporal in the Guard).  I think he was also made "Acting Corporal" by his Drill Sergeant.

He had exactly two pieces of bling: the Army Marksman's badge with "Rifle" designator, and the Army Good Conduct Medal (he was always incredulous that he got that).  He was in during one of the "gaps" that they didn't award the NDSM for.  He said back in his day, if you graduated from BCT...you graduated and got nothing special for it except a handshake from your Drill Sergeant (if you were lucky).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

And back in Ceasar's time they just came to your village one night rounded you all up....handed out pikes and lined them up in a field at dawn.

Things change.   Sometimes better, sometimes worse.....sometimes indifferent.

Flying Pig

In 1939 when my grandfather joined the IL Army Guard, he qualified in "Musketry".

capmaj

Quote from: lordmonar on January 16, 2015, 07:45:33 PM
And back in Ceasar's time they just came to your village one night rounded you all up....handed out pikes and lined them up in a field at dawn.

I don't think folks were comparing then and now in a good or bad way........ just telling folk stories.

DoubleSecret

Quote from: DoubleSecret on January 15, 2015, 10:00:58 PM

I should have added a third category:  The guy who asks the guy who thinks he knows things.

The guy who thinks he knows things is the most dangerous to consult.  To the untrained eye, he looks like the guy who knows things.

THRAWN

Quote from: lordmonar on January 16, 2015, 07:45:33 PM

20 years or 20 campaigns for a plot of land and the title Citizen of Rome....we should be handing out pikes....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

flyboy53

Quote from: lordmonar on January 16, 2015, 04:20:55 PM
After the end of the Vietnam war.....graduates of BMTS no longer had any ribbon to put on their uniforms.  (the National Defense Service Medal end day for that era was 14 aug 1974).....by 1980 this bothered USAF types and they created the Air Force Training Ribbon and made it retro active to 1974 so that everyone would have something on the left side upon graduation.

The Army followed suit in 1981.

Actually, the real intent of that ribbon -- it was approved in 1980 along with the AF overseas service ribbons -- was to recognize everyone who enlisted in the Air Force as part of what was then called the All Volunteer Training Concept. Then the older AF vets got jealous and it was extended to 1974. The cutoffs for the overseas service ribbons, however, remained the same.

My big thing of that era was the BMTS Honor Grad ribbon -- I never understood why someone would want to earn that ribbon -- but then there was only one in my BMTS flight in 1977. Then, during my career over the next two decades, the number of people I knew who earned it could be counted on two hands.

Its all relative, I guess.

Quote from: CyBorg on January 16, 2015, 07:19:36 PM
It was weird for my dad.  He did two years in the National Guard, and he said back then Guardsmen didn't go to Army BCT (but they drilled every Wednesday night).  He got out of the Guard and intended to join the Navy, got as far as talking with a recruiter and filling out his initial paperwork...and got drafted into the Army.  He then had to go through Army Basic at Fort Hood but I think because of his Guard service he came out already a PFC (he'd made Corporal in the Guard).  I think he was also made "Acting Corporal" by his Drill Sergeant.

He had exactly two pieces of bling: the Army Marksman's badge with "Rifle" designator, and the Army Good Conduct Medal (he was always incredulous that he got that).  He was in during one of the "gaps" that they didn't award the NDSM for.  He said back in his day, if you graduated from BCT...you graduated and got nothing special for it except a handshake from your Drill Sergeant (if you were lucky).

Never quibble over a Good Conduct Medal. In the Army it's actually considered a decoration -- sometimes awarded with a certificate, orders, and a lapel pin. There are many that I've met of that same era who are very proud that they at least have that medal.

Flying Pig

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 17, 2015, 12:51:14 AM
I got my Good Cookie by the skin of my teeth >:D

Seems to be a challange to get your Good Conduct Medal in the Corps. But they also hand out NJP by the metric crapton too.
About the only place you see that in the Air Force is the cops.

lordmonar

The honor grad ribbon is awarded to only 10 % of the flight max.  There are hard gates to pass as well so it is possible for no honor grads or up to maybe four. 

I don't think any one actually tries to get it.  But sometimes things come together and it worked out.   

By the way you get to add one more name tho those you know who earned it.

Flying Pig

Quote from: PHall on January 17, 2015, 01:55:22 AM

Seems to be a challange to get your Good Conduct Medal in the Corps. But they also hand out NJP by the metric crapton too.

Yeah.... I resemble that remark!  Hazing.......  Yep.  :)  And Id do it again.  "OMG" you say.  Thrashing a Marine for losing his M16, that I, as his Plt Sgt, located leaning against a tree in the barracks area.  Not reporting that he had lost it and failed to turn it into the armory and ending with me standing next to his personal car with it slung over my shoulder in the parking lot as he's getting ready to leave for his 96.... still having not reported that he'd failed to turn in his rifle to the armory. 

Me:  Do you want to take this to the 1st Sgt or deal with it now?

Him:  Deal with it now Sgt.

Me:  Start pushing.... leg lifts, push ups, side straddle hops...push ups... on your back....leg lifts, etc etc.  In the parking lot with him in his jeans and t-shirt.  This went on for about 15 minutes which luckily corresponded with complete muscle failure on his part.  We then had some words about the negative aspects of lying and more importantly, lying to me and also the detrimental nature of an infantryman losing his rifle. 

He goes on his 96, deal is over and I even offer to turn in his rifle so he can get out of town...no hard feelings.  A week later he reports me to JAG for hazing.  2 weeks restriction to the barracks and 2 weeks forfeiture of pay.  Do you think anything came up about him failing to report missing his rifle?  Nope.  No good deed goes unpunished. 

Flying Pig

I wont even go into what the phrase "take it to the tree line" means  >:D

SaBeR33

And maintenance too!  :D (I'm a former C-17 crew chief who never received any NJP, but saw many guys receive it.)

PHall

Quote from: SaBeR33 on January 17, 2015, 07:22:01 PM

And maintenance too!  :D (I'm a former C-17 crew chief who never received any NJP, but saw many guys receive it.)

I never saw many maintenance guys get wacked that much. Biggest reason I saw for a NJP was getting a DUI. (Former C-141 FE.)

SaBeR33

Quote from: PHall on January 17, 2015, 08:08:41 PM
Quote from: SaBeR33 on January 17, 2015, 07:22:01 PM

I never saw many maintenance guys get wacked that much. Biggest reason I saw for a NJP was getting a DUI. (Former C-141 FE.)

I'm surprised you didn't see it or it was just the knuckleheads I served with, but then again I noticed flyers didn't hangout with us much on station. Oh, and Phil, I already knew you were a C-141 FE since we met long ago when I was a cadet in Hemet, CA, while you were stationed at the former Norton AFB. Small world, huh?

abdsp51

In regard to NJP I have seen Port Dawgs, Cops, MX and com get a lot of triple nickels.  Most of the time it's a smack on the wrist unless your a cop then the book is literally thrown at you.

LTCinSWR

Do yourself a bigger favor - don't ask your TI anything at Lackland.  In fact, try as hard as you can not to have your TI notice you at all.

Trust me.

Jack
[/quote]

+1!
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

AlphaSigOU

How not to become a 'TI target' at Happy Valley:

Screw up by the numbers.
Admit that you are/were a member of CAP/JROTC/Boy Scouts.
Pay a visit to the TI 'snake pit'

Trust me... they already have info on you. There's no need to advertise.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 17, 2015, 10:47:58 PM

How can one actively avoid that?  I had to walk past it every time I was at the Dining Hall...thankfully I never got the full "treatment."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: CyBorg on January 18, 2015, 11:22:48 PM

How can one actively avoid that?  I had to walk past it every time I was at the Dining Hall...thankfully I never got the full "treatment."

Don't make yourself a target... it's too late when a TI looks at you, points and yells "YO, HERO! DRIVE YOURSELF OVER HERE!!!"
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LTCinSWR

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 19, 2015, 12:18:51 AM
Don't make yourself a target... it's too late when a TI looks at you, points and yells "YO, HERO! DRIVE YOURSELF OVER HERE!!!"

'Abandon all hope, ye who enter here...'
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

PHall

Travel in groups. Gives them more targets! >:D

TheTravelingAirman

Anyone remember doing EC (entry controller) and having the late lunch?

I had that. Only person in the Chow Line. As I hit the snake pit, I hook a left, march a few steps, hook another left. I promptly stop at the (unused) condiment island. There is one of the female Airmen there, doing her Chow Hall cleaning detail. She's scrubbing a stain behind the island, completely hidden from view from the TIs. They see me stop randomly (patiently awaiting her job completion). They lose their bloody minds.

I cannot recreate the stuff I heard. 4 guys going nuts at once from 50 feet away probably doesn't help.

I look down at her with a look of "PLEASE DON'T GET ME KILLED" and get a very sheepish "sorry" look in return. She manages to finish after an eternity (30 seconds?) of them eating, yelling, and eating. She stands up, bright red, and scampers off. They begin to laugh, and I carry on.

Memories.

flyboy53

Quote from: PHall on January 19, 2015, 02:16:23 AM

Or have a friend shake things up for you. Third week a basic for me, a friend in Indiana sent an envelope with photos. The TI thought it was contraband and had me open it in front of him.  Inside was a photo of me standing in front of a KC-97 on the ramp at Grissom AFB, dressed in an orange flight suit wearing CAP insignia -- close enough to see the lieutenant bars, but far enough away that you really couldn't read the patches.

Made basic interesting from that point forward. Afterward, I learned from the TI and BMTS squadron first shirt that they thought I was planted by OSI.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: flyboy53 on January 19, 2015, 12:27:51 PM
Or have a friend shake things up for you. Third week a basic for me, a friend in Indiana sent an envelope with photos. The TI thought it was contraband and had me open it in front of him.  Inside was a photo of me standing in front of a KC-97 on the ramp at Grissom AFB, dressed in an orange flight suit wearing CAP insignia -- close enough to see the lieutenant bars, but far enough away that you really couldn't read the patches.

Made basic interesting from that point forward. Afterward, I learned from the TI and BMTS squadron first shirt that they thought I was planted by OSI.

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall to see that.

My MTI was former SP.  If I had done that, he probably would have had me incarcerated for impersonating an Air Force officer.  However, he also wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Flying Pig

OSI plant?  That should have made basic pretty easy for you.  I would have ridden that pony all the way to the finish line  >:D

Майор Хаткевич

He did say it was interesting from then on, and he didn't find out until later. :)

More stories there perhaps.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 19, 2015, 04:36:38 PM

OSI plant?  That should have made basic pretty easy for you.  I would have ridden that pony all the way to the finish line  >:D

Like using your patio time to make "calls" and saying cryptic things just vague enough to keep you out of trouble yet making any overhearing MTI's sweat...

It can be done.  At one of my jobs I had this very sweet, young Egyptian girl actually thinking I was an android.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RogueLeader

Another tip is to "forget" any drill that you happen to know, particularly the more advanced drill, until they teach it to you.

2008 Army BCT, Ft Sill OK, I was, unfortunately, front and center of the Platoon when Drill Sergeant Greenwell called out: At Close Intervals, Dress Right DRESS."  I automatically carried out the order- not thinking at all- as he hadn't taught how to execute it yet.  He calls out: PFC Seng! How did you know to do that?  At that point, I had to disclose my CAP affiliation.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 21, 2015, 01:22:16 AM
Another tip is to "forget" any drill that you happen to know, particularly the more advanced drill, until they teach it to you.

2008 Army BCT, Ft Sill OK, I was, unfortunately, front and center of the Platoon when Drill Sergeant Greenwell called out: At Close Intervals, Dress Right DRESS."  I automatically carried out the order- not thinking at all- as he hadn't taught how to execute it yet.  He calls out: PFC Seng! How did you know to do that?  At that point, I had to disclose my CAP affiliation.

I used my year in AFROTC as my excuse. I was on the drill team while in ROTC, and learned how to do everything their way, which conflicted with the CAP way, the ROTC way, and, eventually, the Navy way. I managed to adapt, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret