Uniforms you'd like to see brought back...

Started by Treadhead, January 31, 2013, 03:49:09 AM

FARRIER

Orange shirts for ground teams. I know these were worn on a wing-by wing basis back in the day, but I would like to see the restrictions lifted.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

wuzafuzz

Quote from: FARRIER on February 01, 2013, 12:28:42 AM
Orange shirts for ground teams. I know these were worn on a wing-by wing basis back in the day, but I would like to see the restrictions lifted.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd like to see the old pickle suit make a return.  It was utilitarian without trying to look like a commando.  Plus it had a shirt that can actually be tucked in so I can reach stuff worn on my belt, like a radio.  I hate untucked shirts.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SarDragon

Quote from: FARRIER on February 01, 2013, 12:28:42 AM

CAWG currently has orange shirts as part of their GT uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sardak

QuoteOD Jungle fatigues. Most comfortable field uniform ever.

Orange shirts for ground teams.

I'd like to see the old pickle suit make a return.
and we'll throw in some BDUs with orange vests just to round things out.

OD uniforms by sardak

Orange shirts, BDUs and orange vests by sardak

The CyBorg is destroyed

Orange flight suits.

If one of our aircraft is forced down, that makes the crew more visible to a search party.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on February 01, 2013, 05:18:49 AM
Orange flight suits.

If one of our aircraft is forced down, that makes the crew more visible to a search party.

Unless it's Alaska in the fall. The whole landscape is orange. The blue one was perfect.

Stonewall

No one wants the Smurf Suit back?  I swear it used to cost $25 from the CAP Bookstore.

No joke, as a cadet I had a neighbor who worked for the fire department and drove some sort of tactical fire rescue truck, like a Toyota Tacoma style with a cap on the back.  His uniform was similar to the Smurf Suit, so as a cadet, I seriously wanted one for contingency use.  In my mind, I pictured it being folded up in some sort of tactical rescue "jump kit" that I would carry (one day) in my personal "tactical response SAR vehicle" I'd have when I was a grown up.
Serving since 1987.

LGM30GMCC

Orange flight suits.

Maybe, but if they stay with their aircraft (Which barring really REALLY compelling reasons not to they should) the 174 sq feet of wings alone not counting the rest of the airplane with a locator beacon going off is going to be a lot more visible. If they are going to be in good enough shape to get out of the aircraft and walk around then the aircraft is going to have to be in pretty decent shape. (Unless they went into the drink in which case, they should have other water survival stuff with them) If they are really well equipped they may well have a persona radio and be able to call in to other aircraft for assistance. If they are incapacitated they are likely inside their aircraft at which point it doesn't matter what they are wearing for visibility.

Remember for many military crashes the pilot may be no where near the wreckage of their aircraft because for many of them they are going to eject some point before it hits the ground. In that case the plane is a smoking pile of wreckage and the crew are by themselves with the survival gear that was attached to them.

Not saying what you said isn't true, I'm just saying it has marginal benefit.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Stonewall on February 01, 2013, 06:13:49 PM
No one wants the Smurf Suit back?  I swear it used to cost $25 from the CAP Bookstore.

Those were AWFUL.  They reminded me of a '70s leisure suit converted to a jumpsuit.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ZigZag911

Phillip

Orange flight suits.

Around these parts, Inmates wear an orange jumpsuit vaguely similar to that to pick up trash along side the highway.
Captain

SarDragon

Quote from: Stonewall on February 01, 2013, 06:13:49 PM

$16.95 in the '78-'80 time frame. I have an olde filled in, but never sent in, order blank in my CAP crap.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

okeecap

The CSU would be the best uniform to bring back, or the WWII khaki and green uniform that looked sharp.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

GroundHawg

OD Jungles. I wore them till the very last day they were authorized. (and you know I had the OD Jungle boots to match)

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé