Sewing things on BDUs

Started by Danger, June 02, 2012, 12:37:36 AM

Danger

As a fairly new cadet, I had my BDU patches and name tapes done by a tailor. She had the wrong spacing, cut the tapes- everything is wrong. I'll be needing to do it right a second time around, and now with my new second set of BDUs (we need 2 sets of BDUs for encampment) I need to have the patches and tapes done right. How do you guys have them attached?
Thanks.
"Never take anything too seriously."

Eclipse

I sew them with a machine using iron-on sizing to hold them in position.

learning to sew, by machine or hand, is something that will serve you in all sorts of ways throughout your life.

"That Others May Zoom"

Danger

krnlpanick

For the tapes - fold and position them and use a pin through the center to hold it in place, use your iron to press the folds. I like to drop a couple stitches in the folds to keep everything in place, especially on the collar insignia if you have to wear it. Once everything is folded use a ruler or uniform guide to get everything positioned and put 2 pins in each patch and tape to keep everything in the correct place. With everything pinned, try it on and make sure everything looks correct while you are wearing it (this is especially true on shoulder patches - they are easy to get crooked without realizing it and cutting them off to re-sew them is a huge pain).

Once everything is correct, get yourself a nice slim needle and thread that matches the interior or border color of your badges. I stitch about every 1/4" with small stitches on the exposed area (the badge side).

There are a couple youtube videos that discuss this as well that may be helpful, but once you get started it is pretty easy. The shoulders are the hardest because you have to make sure that you don't sew the sleeve together anywhere.
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

Eclipse

Also, if you bought the woven tapes, pre-washing them is a good idea, this will lessen the shrink and the potential "pucker" if you wash the
shirt and tapes together the first time.

Cloth tapes do not have this issue.

Cloth

Woven

"That Others May Zoom"

usafcap1

Quote from: Danger on June 02, 2012, 12:37:36 AM
As a fairly new cadet, I had my BDU patches and name tapes done by a tailor. She had the wrong spacing, cut the tapes- everything is wrong. I'll be needing to do it right a second time around, and now with my new second set of BDUs (we need 2 sets of BDUs for encampment) I need to have the patches and tapes done right. How do you guys have them attached?
Thanks.

First before you do anything WASH them first!!!!  ;)
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

usafcap1

|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

SarDragon

The bold text was unnecessary, and can be considered a form of shouting. Also, I believe that point was covered earlier.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Of course, wash them first...I think that's been said before? ???

What I do is get a tube of fabric glue, stitch witch, whatever you want to call it, and put the patches in place with that.

Then, after a couple of hours, I sew them in place with needle and thread.  The patches stay where they're supposed to stay, much less stress, and you don't have to pay for a tailor (who may not be familiar with military-type patch placement).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

EMT-83

I couldn't stitch a straight line if my life depended on it, and I have no intention of learning now.

The tailor I use is very good. I pin the stuff into place, and provide pictures from 39-1 that shows how everything is supposed to look.

No problems to date, and my uniforms don't look like some guy with two left thumbs sewed on the patches.

It is important to wash everything first, so it doesn't pucker......

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 02, 2012, 01:11:55 PM
I couldn't stitch a straight line if my life depended on it, and I have no intention of learning now.

The tailor I use is very good. I pin the stuff into place, and provide pictures from 39-1 that shows how everything is supposed to look.

No problems to date, and my uniforms don't look like some guy with two left thumbs sewed on the patches.

I had to learn when I was a Boy Scout.  My mother had arthritis and couldn't sew very well...which is how I learned (trial and error).  I'd never make it as a tailor but I don't embarrass myself.  My sewing usually looks good.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Shawn W.

I go to a professional seamstress.. I took the regs in with me and basically showed  them how I needed it done.. Since then they know who I am when I walk in, and they do it right every time..  It also helps that they have Military personnel who frequently need uniforms done.  :D

krnlpanick

If your squadron meets on a AF base you can take the regs in to the BX Military Clothing store and they can do patches and alterations for you. Obviously they know how to do them as they do it for base personnel every day.
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

abdsp51

Quote from: krnlpanick on June 03, 2012, 01:04:35 AM
If your squadron meets on a AF base you can take the regs in to the BX Military Clothing store and they can do patches and alterations for you. Obviously they know how to do them as they do it for base personnel every day.

MCSS does not do sewing at all.  Alterations or (insert name here) does, I would recommend finding a place off the yard if you are close to installation. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 03, 2012, 11:28:11 AM

MCSS does not do sewing at all.  Alterations or (insert name here) does, I would recommend finding a place off the yard if you are close to installation.

+1

The Base Cleaners, here, actually contract out cleaning, sewing, etc. I got a set of BDUs back and the CAP and name tapes were upside down. I caught the mistake but at a SAREX I saw a new Senior Member with the same problem so I told him, I know where you get your uniforms done at!

MSG Mac

Most of the larger bases have an alterations shop adjacent to or affiliated with the MCSS. Because when you purchase a uniform, alterations are included in the price and the MCSS gives you a voucher for the alterations that is used for payment.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

abdsp51

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 03, 2012, 04:48:22 PM

Most of the larger bases have an alterations shop adjacent to or affiliated with the MCSS. Because when you purchase a uniform, alterations are included in the price and the MCSS gives you a voucher for the alterations that is used for payment.

That is for basic stuff such as hemming pants or service jackets attaching the braid etc.  Not for sewing tapes etc onto a field uniform.

Hawk200

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 03, 2012, 05:05:03 PM
That is for basic stuff such as hemming pants or service jackets attaching the braid etc.  Not for sewing tapes etc onto a field uniform.
Guess things have changed. They used to give us a slip for it when I was active. Most of the time, I sewed my own. I could get it done a lot quicker than alterations could get it back to me.

abdsp51

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 03, 2012, 11:07:43 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on June 03, 2012, 05:05:03 PM
Guess things have changed. They used to give us a slip for it when I was active. Most of the time, I sewed my own. I could get it done a lot quicker than alterations could get it back to me.

Now I could be wrong at Lackland they did an initial setup for us.  However outside of that there was a price attached to it at the local alterations outside of the slip.  It has been that way since 99, now I have had uniforms done before deployments at no cost to me but at cost to the unit. 

Danger

I'd rather we have ABUs . Those have Velcro I believe, for the patches and tapes?

abdsp51

Quote from: Danger on June 04, 2012, 11:43:30 PM
I'd rather we have ABUs . Those have Velcro I believe, for the patches and tapes?

No.

Майор Хаткевич

titanII

If I recall correctly, only ACU's (the US Army's utility uniform) have Velcro.
No longer active on CAP talk

68w20

Quote from: titanII on June 05, 2012, 12:41:36 AM
If I recall correctly, only ACU's (the US Army's utility uniform) have Velcro.

They do, however Soldiers now have the option to sew on name and branch tapes as well as rank and skill/combat badge insignia.  IMO the velcro is generally more convenient and cheaper, however it can be frustrating during laundering.  It also tends to wrinkle fairly easily, especially after a few washes.

RogueLeader

Velcro nametapes, branchtapes all equal bad juju.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

The CyBorg is destroyed

I still don't think it would be the worst idea for us to go to a modified version of what the AF tried back in the early '90s: no insignia on BDU's except the Velcro flight suit-type nameplate.  It didn't last long because officers weren't getting saluted properly...but that wouldn't be a problem for us, now would it? >:D
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

C/2d Lt

I am currently in the prosses of putting on my Model Rocketry Badge. How should I attach this. Sowing it is hard because of it being on a pocket or is there a special way of attaching it.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

SarDragon

Quote from: C/SSgt on June 17, 2012, 07:41:33 PM
I am currently in the prosses of putting on my Model Rocketry Badge. How should I attach this. Sowing it is hard because of it being on a pocket or is there a special way of attaching it.

That's sewing. And it's a patch, not a badge. A badge is made of metal, with pins on the back.

Many people I know just machine sewed it through the pocket.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: C/SSgt on June 17, 2012, 07:41:33 PM
If the pocket matters a lot to you and you could get a new uniform when you want to replace/remove said patch, glue it. Do you ever use the top pockets is a great question to ask yourself, or are you trying to save something that's useless to you?

Danger

I got it all taken care of, thanks guys!

Garibaldi

Quote from: CyBorg on June 02, 2012, 01:17:13 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on June 02, 2012, 01:11:55 PM

I had to learn when I was a Boy Scout.  My mother had arthritis and couldn't sew very well...which is how I learned (trial and error).  I'd never make it as a tailor but I don't embarrass myself.  My sewing usually looks good.

After my parents divorced, and my stepmom refused to sew things on for me, I had to learn quick. To this day, I do all my own sewing of patches. Trial and error usually, but I'm not being inspected anymore so close enough is good enough.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

abdsp51

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 08, 2012, 04:34:05 AM
After my parents divorced, and my stepmom refused to sew things on for me, I had to learn quick. To this day, I do all my own sewing of patches. Trial and error usually, but I'm not being inspected anymore so close enough is good enough.

So attention to detail is not applicable to SMs?

Garibaldi

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 08, 2012, 08:57:02 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 08, 2012, 04:34:05 AM

So attention to detail is not applicable to SMs?

I am the weirdo who can spot if a cadet's rank insignia is off by more than 1/8" at 10 yards. Without my glasses. I have corrected cadets and placed their insignia correctly by eye and have been proven right afterward 99.9% of the time. If mine isn't done right the first time I rip it off and do it again. Close enough for me is no more than a 1/8" margin of error.

I have had enough of "sloppy seniors". Our current CC is a 1984 Spaatz cadet. I came from the strictest cadet squadron on the planet. A bunch of our new seniors have either come from cadet side or the military. I am in charge of D&C for the seniors.

In answer to your question...not on my watch. Not in my unit.

Eclipse

An 1/8" error is a lot when all you have to work with is 1/8" - probably the most common / OCD-aggravating error I see
is too much or too little blue around the grade on field uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Guess what I should have said was a 1/8" error of margin with regards to placement. I already have the correct amount of blue showing on insignia. Also, to get rid of those stupid cables/flags/whatever they are calling flyaway threads on the tapes I cut the ends into a triangle when I fold them under. And sear them with a lighter.

Sorry if I sounded like a uniform nutzi. I am what I am. I grew up in an era where we were constantly hounded on appearance in uniform. We honestly believed we were the best of the best because we looked and acted like it. Makes me ADD/OCD crazy when I see a "sloppy senior" in charge of cadet programs, one who can't be bothered to learn how to salute or stand at attention or wear their uniform without looking like Hawkeye Pierce. The cadets learn by example, and if we're setting the wrong example, we've failed.

/soapbox

Eclipse

No need to justify your stance here, I'm with you.  Right is right.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 09, 2012, 03:52:19 AM
Guess what I should have said was a 1/8" error of margin with regards to placement. I already have the correct amount of blue showing on insignia. Also, to get rid of those stupid cables/flags/whatever they are calling flyaway threads on the tapes I cut the ends into a triangle when I fold them under. And sear them with a lighter.

Sorry if I sounded like a uniform nutzi. I am what I am. I grew up in an era where we were constantly hounded on appearance in uniform. We honestly believed we were the best of the best because we looked and acted like it. Makes me ADD/OCD crazy when I see a "sloppy senior" in charge of cadet programs, one who can't be bothered to learn how to salute or stand at attention or wear their uniform without looking like Hawkeye Pierce. The cadets learn by example, and if we're setting the wrong example, we've failed.

/soapbox

That "sloppy senior" probably was in charge of cadet programs because no one else wanted the job.

C/Haughey

Then you probably shouldn-... I mean -uh- my squadron commander is the best, sir! She *ALWAYS* wears her uniform and when she does it always looks *PERFECT*.  :-X
C/2nd Lt Haughey
Cadet Commander, 089th MACS

C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Cadet Commander, FL-20056

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on July 09, 2012, 10:41:58 AM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 09, 2012, 03:52:19 AM

/soapbox

That "sloppy senior" probably was in charge of cadet programs because no one else wanted the job.

No. She railroaded me out of the job and tried to take over the unit. True story. She looked good on paper but...let's just say train wreck would be the kindest term I could use to describe her. Absolutely REFUSED to attend the senior D&C program I set up to eliminate the problem. The one who took over after she...left...was amazing, but by then I was mired in college and work and left for 6 years.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 09, 2012, 02:28:00 PM

No. She railroaded me out of the job and tried to take over the unit. True story. She looked good on paper but...let's just say train wreck would be the kindest term I could use to describe her. Absolutely REFUSED to attend the senior D&C program I set up to eliminate the problem. The one who took over after she...left...was amazing, but by then I was mired in college and work and left for 6 years.

As an aside, where is it required to participate in D&C?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 09, 2012, 10:09:25 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 09, 2012, 02:28:00 PM

Time. Interest. Commitment.

Wow, read that as what, not where. Oh, well.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

If the commander decides it's important / required, it's important  required.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on July 09, 2012, 10:53:50 PM

If the commander decides it's important / required, it's important  required.

If it is that important, then it would be in a published SOP or OI.  That makes it required. Other than that... Cite please.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 10, 2012, 12:01:51 AMIf it is that important, then it would be in a published SOP or OI.  That makes it required. Other than that... Cite please.

Well, for starters, who said it wasn't or couldn't be?

But with that said, cite what?  Any reasonable directive within the boundaries of the program has to be complied with or the member risks disciplinary action up to and including termination.

D&C is well within the bounds of CAP membership. If a commander dictates that all members will participate, what grounds would they have not to comply?

"We never did that before..." Is not a valid justification for disobedience.  Obviously anyone who doesn't like it can vote with their feet, either via transfer or leaving CAP, but if they choose to participate, they don't get to pick and choose which parts they "agree with".

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

That's what I was asking, as it is not in Nat regs. I agree with you.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340