Main Menu

Sunglasses???

Started by ElectricPenguin, November 11, 2010, 10:01:13 PM

meganite

Quotea. Appearance of Men in Uniform. Articles such as wallets, pencils, pens, watch chains, fobs,
pins, jewelry, handkerchiefs, combs, cigars, cigarettes, pipes, and sunglass cases will not be exposed on the
uniform. The wear of wristwatches and rings is permitted. The wear of identification bracelets is likewise
permitted provided they present a neat and conservative appearance. Conservative sunglasses may be worn,
except in military formation. Ribbons, when worn, will be clean and not frayed. Wear of earrings,
ornamentation on eyeglass lenses, or visible ornaments around the neck are prohibited while in uniform.

Emphasis mine. Was it on the frame or the lens? Maybe you could point this out to them...

SarDragon

You don't need a prescription for frames. They might require measurement and fitting, but that can be done by non-medical people.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Quote from: SarDragon on November 12, 2010, 06:34:51 AM
You don't need a prescription for frames. They might require measurement and fitting, but that can be done by non-medical people.
I get that, I was merely pointing out the difference between the two scenarios. Perhaps I should have put prescription in parentheses.

Major Lord

CAP's Proscription caps CAP's Prescription.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

arajca

There is a significant difference between having prescription lenses in sunglasses and having a prescription to wear sunglasses. One is a personal choice, the other is a medical factor.

I know a couple people who, due to their previous "immortality factor" (aka stupid years) have damaged their eyes and have a medical prescription that requires them to wear sunglasses when outside or when looking outside.

That is what is meant by having prescription sunglasses. The medical need to wear sunglasses is what is covered by the prescription exception to the "no sunglasses in formation" rule, not merely having prescription lenses.

That being said, when you're not in formation, there is no blanket prohibition against wearing sunglasses.

Eclipse

^ We had an otherwise squared-away cadet last year who was sitting in chow wearing some decidedly "extreme" Oakley's while eating.

"but these are prescription..."

"didn't we see you wearing 'normal' classes earlier...?

"Yes, but these look cooler."

"Ahem.

"Yes, sir".

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

IMHO, If at an activity, and the only glasses with prescription lenses that the cadet happens to have with them happen to be sunglasses, or glasses with photo-grey/brown lenses, then ordering removal would constitute a safety/medical hazard whether in formation or not.  I would recommend that the cadet bring regular prescription glasses next time (if they have them), but I would not demand that they be removed. 

Many people who wear glasses (me included) have only 1 pair with photo-grey/brown lenses that automatically change.  You really can't demand that they go spend $100+ to get another pair because they may have to stand in formation outside for a few minutes.  I've worn photo-grey glasses for years, even while I was in the military, and it was never an issue.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

I agree to a point, the point being where a cadet knows better and tries to play the prescription card to get away with something.
This is the same issue with berets, boonies, and Kevlar battle helmets (don't ask  ::)).  If they were worn when and how they were
intended, few would care, but these things tend to show up in inappropriate places.

Most modern photo-grays change pretty quickly, and are a non-issue.

Unless you are Cadet Scott Summers, if you have prescription sunglasses odds are pretty good you also have regular glasses for night wear.

As to cost, no one has to spend $100 on sunglasses - that is a choice - AO's cost $20 and your local big-box has a rack of glasses that will fill the bill for $6 in the summer.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

^ With that said, one way to mitigate this is to figure out where the sun is, and turn your formations to face in the other direction.

Granted this isn't always an option, but I have seen far too many situations where 100 people are squinting and crying facing the bright dawn while the commander or instructor is off discussing breakfast with his staff.

I'm sensitive to this because I am tall - when I am teaching my motorcycle classes, people have to look up to me and if I have the sun to my shoulder wind up being blinded for their next run.  I try to move my position so that I am facing the sun and they aren't.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2010, 03:17:24 PM
Most modern photo-grays change pretty quickly, and are a non-issue.
Very true. Additionally, it's obvious (usually) that you're not changing glasses between inside and outside.

QuoteUnless you are Cadet Scott Summers, if you have prescription sunglasses odds are pretty good you also have regular glasses for night wear.
Doesn't mean you can wear the night glasses during the day, if you have prescription sunglasses for sun sensitivity.

QuoteAs to cost, no one has to spend $100 on sunglasses - that is a choice - AO's cost $20 and your local big-box has a rack of glasses that will fill the bill for $6 in the summer.
Be careful of these. Many are NOT optically neutral. BTDT - the hard way.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on November 12, 2010, 04:17:47 PM
As to cost, no one has to spend $100 on sunglasses - that is a choice - AO's cost $20 and your local big-box has a rack of glasses that will fill the bill for $6 in the summer.
[/quote]

The AO's or the gas station ones?  With the $6 ones you get what you pay for, but with the AO's the only issue I have ever had is the
polarization can some times make watches and LCD screens look solid black.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2010, 07:13:57 PM
Quote from: arajca on November 12, 2010, 04:17:47 PM

The AO's or the gas station ones?  With the $6 ones you get what you pay for, but with the AO's the only issue I have ever had is the
polarization can some times make watches and LCD screens look solid black.
[/quote]

Thats the case with just about all polarized lenses, which is why they are not recommended for aircrew (if not already flat out banned).
Paramedic
hang-around.

Dad2-4

Had to chime in due to the location of the event. Wings Over Houston has many different military and para-military organizations present as I'm sure other large airshows do. The last time I was there one of my cadets was chewed out by a gung-ho State Guard NCO in full battle gear for not wearing a "cover". Way to go NCO for making a 13 year old new cadet feel like crap, but that's another issue.
My point is that there are several CAP units present and the OP didn't mention if the SM was in their chain of command or not or even in the same unit. The real issue here may not be the glasses, but possibly an over zealous, reg misquoting SM who power trips on enforcing regs their opinion.

DakRadz

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2010, 03:23:34 PM
^ With that said, one way to mitigate this is to figure out where the sun is, and turn your formations to face in the other direction.

Exactly. Better that the commander deal with the sun than 20+ people. The gratitude that you earn by taking care of your people is worth the spotty vision and headache (at least that's what I get when I end up facing the sun).

Seriously, read what Eclipse wrote. One of the best pieces of advice for anyone who will ever be in charge of an outdoor formation of people.

CAP.is.1337

I'd understand if they were these Oakleys...

However, since they are the Flak Jackets, I think your senior just needs to be informed in what constitutes "conservative" glasses from her peers/higher-ups. (AKA: Not a cadet.)

Oakley glasses are nearly all I see any Real Military wear these days, and they are the brand of choice for both seniors and cadets here in VAWG. They're treated just as any other sunglasses. And for those that say a $10 pair of saftey sunglasses from Wally World or dollar mart is just as good, you are sadly misinformed. Oakley SI sunglasses (around $40-$80 a pair for non-polarized lenses) are the only inexpensive glasses I've used that don't give me a headache right after putting them on. And the clarity is best in its price range! And did I mention they're Z87.1 rated.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

a2capt

Gee.. maybe this "prescription" is "gee, look at my $220 Oakleys".. Sure, the doc may have said "wear sunglasses" but .. then you had better have them on while looking out the window, too.  ;)

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 12, 2010, 01:45:00 AM
I have the exact same pair, but with different style lenses. I wore them on a bivouac and no one cared.
Really, the SM in question has no idea what they're talking about. Those glasses are plenty conservative.

Also, are the glasses themselves prescription or the lenses?

... The lenses on them are... You can tell because on mine the lenses are a little bit thicker. Also, I was in BDUs

wolfgang333

I consider this (your prescription sunglasses) a non issue. As you said you were not in formation. Even more so they are prescription and taking into consideration bright sunny day as well. #1 issue here is SAFETY for yourself, protect your eye's and see where your going. Keep your head high and wear your "O's" with pride! Thank you Cadet for your service!
Senior Member and wearer of prescription "O"s' also...

coolkites

Worry about your eyes first. I have the exact same glasses (non-prescription). I often wear them when outside in BDUs. I personally have not had any issues. The regs also appear to be in your favor. I find that common sense generally should and generally does rule in the end (as it appears to have here). Your  health and wellbeing come first. I've seen commanders allow odd out of regulation things to occur in the name of safety (for example allowing a cadet to wear dark sneakers on a big hike since he was new and his boots were not broken in) which proves that safety should be one of our first concerns. Best of luck and stay safe.

NM SAR

I wear Half Jackets all the time in uniform and have never caught any flak for them. OTHOH, I'm a Senior Member, so uniform-Nazi peers may be more hesitant to (mistakenly) correct me than a cadet with similar sunglasses.

Now, 39-1 DOES say "free of ornamentation on frames and lenses" but it's a pretty long stretch to consider the subtle "O" ornamentation. Besides that, your personal safety comes a long way before proper uniform. if they're the only sunglasses you have available, wear them.