Main Menu

Ranger caps

Started by BreakSilence, June 01, 2010, 03:44:33 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: BreakSilence on June 02, 2010, 05:14:30 AM
Alright then, I got my answer.  Thank you for all the input.  Our ball caps either have been or will be approved by the Wing Commander by encampment's time.

Which is nice, but the encampment commander may well have a different opinion about what you will wear during the activity.  Ball caps may well be prohibited, just as berets commonly are.

"That Others May Zoom"

BreakSilence

Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2010, 05:19:35 AM
Quote from: BreakSilence on June 02, 2010, 05:14:30 AM
Alright then, I got my answer.  Thank you for all the input.  Our ball caps either have been or will be approved by the Wing Commander by encampment's time.

Which is nice, but the encampment commander may well have a different opinion about what you will wear during the activity.  Ball caps may well be prohibited, just as berets commonly are.

Actually, I am the cadet commander of the encampment, so I can tell you for sure that ball caps are approved by the encampment commander.

Eclipse

There's nothing wrong with ball caps for an encampment.

And now that we have shown you that rolling them or putting grade on them is prohibited, you should be fine.

"That Others May Zoom"

BreakSilence

Again, thank you all for the input.  I will now have a talk with my Director of Cadet Programs....

JBC

Quote from: BreakSilence on June 01, 2010, 03:44:33 AM
So the Air Force phased out the BDU's, and that means that BDU covers are getting harder and harder to find.  My Wing has always used BDU caps.  Now, however, we will be switching over to ball caps due to the rising cost of BDU caps.  I'm totally understand the reasoning, but I don't like the look of most ball caps with a Battle Dress Uniform.  It just doesn't look right.  I have seen a "ranger" cap though, and I don't think I'd mind it that much with the BDU's.  Can anyone tell me how to ranger a ball cap?  Also, if you can give me any other miscellaneous information about ranger caps, that'd be great.

Thanks.
Sam Ramil
Hawaii Wing
I could certainly tell you how to ranger roll a cap, but I'd feel more comfortable if you went through hawk first. What many people don't realize when ranger rolling.g there hats is the statement they're making: that theyve gone through ranger school. I ranger roll my BDU cap under the hawk paraphanelia ruling in the NB ruling. I really unload on cadets who ranger roll their hats withoutthe right to. And seniors, unfortunately, I must quietly and politely correct.

BillB

It's nice you can teach how to ranger roll a cap. But ranger roll was NOT included in the NB action, and as long as 39-1 says the ranger roll is not authorized, 39-1 is the controlling authority.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Quote from: JBC on July 27, 2011, 12:17:04 AM
Quote from: BreakSilence on June 01, 2010, 03:44:33 AM
So the Air Force phased out the BDU's, and that means that BDU covers are getting harder and harder to find.  My Wing has always used BDU caps.  Now, however, we will be switching over to ball caps due to the rising cost of BDU caps.  I'm totally understand the reasoning, but I don't like the look of most ball caps with a Battle Dress Uniform.  It just doesn't look right.  I have seen a "ranger" cap though, and I don't think I'd mind it that much with the BDU's.  Can anyone tell me how to ranger a ball cap?  Also, if you can give me any other miscellaneous information about ranger caps, that'd be great.

Thanks.
Sam Ramil
Hawaii Wing
I could certainly tell you how to ranger roll a cap, but I'd feel more comfortable if you went through hawk first. What many people don't realize when ranger rolling.g there hats is the statement they're making: that theyve gone through ranger school. I ranger roll my BDU cap under the hawk paraphanelia ruling in the NB ruling. I really unload on cadets who ranger roll their hats withoutthe right to. And seniors, unfortunately, I must quietly and politely correct.

That attitude is exactly why Hawk has such a bad reputation. That activity has no exclusive claim to ranger rolling. Being a Hawk grad gives no specific 'rights' to do anything. Nothing. There might be certain privileges, but I don't think ranger rolling is one of them.

CAPM 39-1 specifically forbids crushing or rolling the BDU cap.

QuoteBDU Cap: Either the USAF or Army style BDU cap or camouflage BDU baseball cap may be worn
with the BDU uniform. Senior members, cadet NCOs, and airmen do not wear any type of insignia
on the cap. Cadet officers wear the embroidered grade insignia centered 1/2 inch above the visor on
the BDU cap. Cap will not be worn crushed or rolled. Marine style BDU cap is not authorized.

There is no mention of any exceptions for Hawk or any other activity.

Lighen up and join the getalong gang. Your CAP career will be better if you do.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sarmed1

Quote from: JBC on July 27, 2011, 12:17:04 AM

I would like to be the first person to say WOW!....I mean really WOW!  Unload on cadets who dont have the right to roll their hat...because you managed to not go home from a 9 day activity...... what expert ranger number are you?

Let me correct you on a few things.

#1  39-1...you should read it sometime...... patrol caps arent authorized to be ranger rolled.
#2  There is no such rule/tradition/special dead rat waving that in any way authurizing you ranger rolling because you went to HMRS
#3  There is no ranger paraphanelia rule regarding patrol caps; you were awarded an orange activity hat

What HMRS staff member fed you this line of BS....or did you invent it on your own?

mk

edit ok 3rd person...you guy beat me two it while I was posting...mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SarDragon

Gotta keep up, Mark.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Thanks Sarmed for your informed, majority(?) opinion. Unfortunately, this (cadet?) is exactly the type of product that seems to come back from Hawk by the time they reach GLR. No idea why.

sarmed1

I am going to go out on a limb and say they already had a belief in their specialness before going to Hawk.....I dont think there is a member of the staff at HMRS that even owns a ptrol cap that would even be able to tell someone they could wear it "ranger style"..... maybe if they were arguing orange t-shirts, pistol belts, scarves or tabs the mountain could take the hit....  but special things for BDU/patrol caps DOES NOT come from HMRS (or anywhere in PAWG likely)

I am sure I would have had the first post after, but I was trying to compose a reply that wouldnt get me banned for a week......

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

ol'fido

Me thinks this cadet don't know from which "Ranger" school the tradition came from.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006