Main Menu

Ranger caps

Started by BreakSilence, June 01, 2010, 03:44:33 AM

BreakSilence

So the Air Force phased out the BDU's, and that means that BDU covers are getting harder and harder to find.  My Wing has always used BDU caps.  Now, however, we will be switching over to ball caps due to the rising cost of BDU caps.  I'm totally understand the reasoning, but I don't like the look of most ball caps with a Battle Dress Uniform.  It just doesn't look right.  I have seen a "ranger" cap though, and I don't think I'd mind it that much with the BDU's.  Can anyone tell me how to ranger a ball cap?  Also, if you can give me any other miscellaneous information about ranger caps, that'd be great.

Thanks.

IceNine

Unfortunately what looks "right" to you is of little concern.

Unless "ranger caps" are authorized and they aren't you can't wear them.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

a2capt

Starch and knuckles... I think they look hoaky, myself. Quite the opposite, however - I think the ball cap looks worse, so for the ball cap, it's an improvement.

Yes, finding the stuff is getting challenging.

C/SrA

In my squadron we are supposed to have what I think you are referring to as 'ranger' caps. I had trouble making my hat 'ranger', but another cadet helped me.

Eeyore

Yeah, like IceNine said, "Ranger Rolls" are not authorized in CAP.

Hawk200

Quote from: BreakSilence on June 01, 2010, 03:44:33 AM
So the Air Force phased out the BDU's, and that means that BDU covers are getting harder and harder to find.  My Wing has always used BDU caps.  Now, however, we will be switching over to ball caps due to the rising cost of BDU caps.  I'm totally understand the reasoning, but I don't like the look of most ball caps with a Battle Dress Uniform.  It just doesn't look right.  I have seen a "ranger" cap though, and I don't think I'd mind it that much with the BDU's.  Can anyone tell me how to ranger a ball cap?  Also, if you can give me any other miscellaneous information about ranger caps, that'd be great.

Thanks.
Sam Ramil
Hawaii Wing
The standard BDU hat is, at times, referred to as a "patrol cap". Army Rangers wear either a standard Army patrol cap, or a beret.

Krapenhoeffer

Very simply put, if it isn't in 39-1, you can't wear it. Frankly, I think ranger rolls make one look stupid and "tacti-kewl" unless one actually has a US Army Ranger Tab on. I find the ball caps useful, and they look professional. I never wear one for ES work, because I'll be wearing my helmet, so there.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

Nathan

Most of the guys I knew who starched their ranger rolls into place ended up with these waterproof bowls on their head that made them look like bird baths when it rained. Even from a practical standpoint, it just really doesn't make much sense.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

MIKE

$11 from USCav: http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=5435&TabID=1&cs=1  If anyone buys one, please let us know if it still looks like the one pictured with the eyelets and everything.

I miss my BDU cap.  Wear a ball cap with ODUs, and aside from the metal insignia hurting my brain... I hate that I can't stow it neatly in my left cargo pocket, so I end up carrying it around inside.  Never liked ball caps with BDUs, don't mind the look with the ODU though.
Mike Johnston

Gung Ho

Just my 2 cents but we are not playing baseball so we should not wear a ball cap.

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: MIKE on June 01, 2010, 01:49:09 PM
Wear a ball cap with ODUs, and aside from the metal insignia hurting my brain...

Take off the "frogs" and bend the metal prongs inward with pliers so it is flush with the cap.  (let me know if this does not make sense). You won't even know it's there. The only downside is the insignia is one time use, but if you ever get hit with something in the head you will be glad you did.

MIKE

Thought about that, but one of my reasons for wearing metal is so I can remove or change out the insignia easier.  Versus having multiple caps.  I put some duct tape on the frogs for a bit of comfort.  Otherwise I would have bought one of these. Still might, but after election season:
Mike Johnston

cap235629

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on June 01, 2010, 05:25:49 AM
I never wear one for ES work, because I'll be wearing my helmet, so there.

Oh crap I can see the Kevlar now!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: cap235629 on June 01, 2010, 03:32:17 PM
I never wear one for ES work, because I'll be wearing my helmet, so there.

I'm hoping he means a "hardhat", as those who wear the mil helmets around here are ridiculed to no end.

Oh crap I can see the Kevlar now!

MSgt Van

Quote from: Gung Ho on June 01, 2010, 02:31:44 PM
Just my 2 cents but we are not playing baseball so we should not wear a ball cap.

But we're not in the military so we should stop trying to roll our caps into a bowl to make it look like we're a strike force ready for deployment.  "Gee, nice CAP tattoo ya got there. Is that the triangle thingy?"

Eclipse

Quote from: MSgt Van on June 01, 2010, 04:40:40 PMwe should stop trying to roll our caps into a bowl to make it look like we're a strike force ready for deployment.

Seriously, how does making a ball cap look like it got stuck in the dryer "help"?

"That Others May Zoom"

snpotratz

Very simply put, if it isn't in 39-1, you can't wear it.

Not entirely true.  The Montana Wing Commander is also the commander of the SAR school.  He got NHQ to authorize an orange ball cap in place of the camo cap.  We are no longer authorized to wear the camo cap at all per a letter from NHQ applicable only to our wing.  Another case of "this is ALWAYS the rule...except..."

Steven Potratz
Bozeman Composite Squadron
Montana Wing
Personnel and AE Officer
Capt. Steven Potratz
Deputy Commander | RMR-MT-037
Director of Safety | MTWG

vmstan

Quote from: MIKE on June 01, 2010, 03:30:09 PM
Thought about that, but one of my reasons for wearing metal is so I can remove or change out the insignia easier.  Versus having multiple caps.  I put some duct tape on the frogs for a bit of comfort.  Otherwise I would have bought one of these. Still might, but after election season:

I would much prefer something like that VS a BDU hat. They just look funky on my head.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

MSgt Van

Quote from: snpotratz on June 01, 2010, 06:50:08 PM
Very simply put, if it isn't in 39-1, you can't wear it.

"this is ALWAYS the rule...except..."

I guess that makes us uniformly different.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: snpotratz on June 01, 2010, 06:50:08 PM
We are no longer authorized to wear the camo cap at all per a letter from NHQ applicable only to our wing. 

Got a cite for that? I've never heard of that, but if it's possible, maybe PAWG  can turn in the BDUs and get Orange Jumpsuits?