Patches back on Air Force ABUs

Started by Stonewall, May 04, 2010, 12:23:38 AM

Should the AF return command & wing patches to the ABUs?

Yes
34 (50.7%)
No
33 (49.3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Hawk200

Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on May 10, 2010, 04:39:07 AM
2 on the blouse, and the wing patch, where's the fourth? sorry brains a little fried from 12 hours working at IHOP lol
Two on the shirt pockets, one above nametag, one on left sleeve. Of course, there is the flag, which is a total of five. Do you really need five patches? Actually, need?

A large number of patches says pretty much one thing.

mynetdude

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 10, 2010, 04:55:50 AM
2 on the blouse, and the wing patch, where's the fourth? sorry brains a little fried from 12 hours working at IHOP lol
Two on the shirt pockets, one above nametag, one on left sleeve. Of course, there is the flag, which is a total of five. Do you really need five patches? Actually, need?

You forgot 6th, squadron patch on left pocket IIRC (I don't wear a squadron patch, I haven't since I joined CAP but I am not about to put one on just yet cuz I may transfer again soon)

Hawk200

Quote from: mynetdude on May 10, 2010, 05:03:01 AM

You forgot 6th, squadron patch on left pocket IIRC (I don't wear a squadron patch, I haven't since I joined CAP but I am not about to put one on just yet cuz I may transfer again soon)
No, I didn't forget. For one, the squadron patch doesn't go on the left pocket of our uniforms, it goes on the right. As to the placements:

1  on right pocket
  1  on left pocket
  1 over nametag
  1 on left shoulder
  1 flag on right shoulder
----
  5 patches

The location above branch tape is reserved for personal qualification badges. No placement for a sixth patch is available.

SarDragon

Note the bolded text. Both pocket locations are covered.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dragon 3-2

well i agree the one above the name tape and possibly the flag are unnecessary and not how the AF wore their BDU's

but the other three should remain optional for BDU's and ABU'd or whatever uniform we get next ( praying for Multicam lol)

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

mynetdude

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 10, 2010, 05:17:52 AM

No, I didn't forget. For one, the squadron patch doesn't go on the left pocket of our uniforms, it goes on the right. As to the placements:

1  on right pocket
  1  on left pocket
  1 over nametag
  1 on left shoulder
  1 flag on right shoulder
----
  5 patches

The location above branch tape is reserved for personal qualification badges. No placement for a sixth patch is available.

I was gonna say "right" but without looking at 39-1 I had to take a guess since I don't wear a squadron patch at this time.  Squadron patch is optional AFAIK so I only wear 3 on my BDUs, flag, blue tapes above pocket and its done. The blue BDU shirt does not get the American flag so there's only two.

cloth insignias on the collar don't count right? Well they aren't patches...

lordmonar

Quote from: mynetdude on May 10, 2010, 01:59:53 PM. The blue BDU shirt does not get the American flag so there's only two.
????

I don't think that is right.

According to the Jan 2008 change letter....the flag goes on both the BDU and CAP Distinctive Field Uniform (AKA BBDU).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Stonewall

Isn't it amazing how the US Marine Corps, who doesn't authorize any patches on any uniforms (except flight suit) seems to do just fine?  They have about 1/4 of the badges the other branches do and none of those are even sewn on.  No identity crisis.  Never a problem recruiting.  Yet they still kick butt and take names.  The Marine Corps never has a problem with pride, identification or history.  So in my opinion, all those reasons for having patches are moot as far as I am concerned.

Perhaps we, and the other military branches, could take something from this.
Serving since 1987.

heliodoc

I am not even voting....

Stonewall, THAT is a great idea!

1st CAP does it because they are 55K strong...... They could get it done in a hurry!!  Only a NB to go through >:D >:D >:D  Less monkey business than SecDef sitting in front of Congress.  CAP would find a way to "Stonewall"  the elimination of bling (no pun intended!!)

The other RM branches .......well you know......THEY are steeped in MORE history than CAP!!

The USMC must be pretty practical or that ages old addage ..we are the smallest force with probably the smallest US funding

Perhaps, CAP, in the interest of community service, worry less and less about its "flashy bling" and start moving out smartly and working with less fanfare and "what about us" attitude and uniform craziness,

CAP....without uniforms...how will we be identified without our uniform or bling?   Again, referring to Stonewall's thread and the Marine Corps common sense......CAP could get a learn on from this!!

Let the flamin begin!!

mynetdude

Quote from: lordmonar on May 10, 2010, 02:44:10 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 10, 2010, 01:59:53 PM. The blue BDU shirt does not get the American flag so there's only two.
????

I don't think that is right.

According to the Jan 2008 change letter....the flag goes on both the BDU and CAP Distinctive Field Uniform (AKA BBDU).

Yep it sure does say so, dangit... my seamstress only picks up garments once a week so to have them add the reverse flag would not be possible so I will have to have it added when I get back.

tsrup

Quote from: Stonewall on May 10, 2010, 05:00:34 PM
Isn't it amazing how the US Marine Corps, who doesn't authorize any patches on any uniforms (except flight suit) seems to do just fine?  They have about 1/4 of the badges the other branches do and none of those are even sewn on.  No identity crisis.  Never a problem recruiting.  Yet they still kick butt and take names.  The Marine Corps never has a problem with pride, identification or history.  So in my opinion, all those reasons for having patches are moot as far as I am concerned.

Perhaps we, and the other military branches, could take something from this.

Thats because their tradition dictates pride in being a Marine above all else.  Hence no unit distinguishing bling on their uniforms.
The AF (and by transitive the CAP) and Army have different values and traditions, not better or worse, just different.
Paramedic
hang-around.

WheelsUp

Ah, uniform discussions. Gotta love 'em.

I've been in CAP four years, and I've seen more uniform changes, tweaks, un-tweaks and adjustments than the Army had in more than two decades. The rate of uniform changes seems to have dropped off since Oct. 2007 (coincidence? I think not...), but it's still out of control.

For a volunteer organization, we sure have a big wardrobe!

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy CAP, but I'm here for the mission, not to keep Vanguard in business.

ES Training Officer/Mission Scanner

PHall

Quote from: WheelsUp on May 12, 2010, 02:52:50 AM

I've been in CAP four years, and I've seen more uniform changes, tweaks, un-tweaks and adjustments than the Army had in more than two decades. The rate of uniform changes seems to have dropped off since Oct. 2007 (coincidence? I think not...), but it's still out of control.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy CAP, but I'm here for the mission, not to keep Vanguard in business.

You know, no one is forcing you to read this. Don't like uniform discussions, then don't read them.
Wasn't that easy? ::)

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Hello,

Does somebody know if CAP is going to ABU's ?  When yes,   when ?     We are having difficulties getting BDU's and black boots for the cadets here overseas.

Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

raivo

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

WheelsUp

Quote from: PHall on May 12, 2010, 04:36:33 AM
Quote from: WheelsUp on May 12, 2010, 02:52:50 AM

You know, no one is forcing you to read this. Don't like uniform discussions, then don't read them.
Wasn't that easy? ::)

PHall: I do it because I need the dose of humor every so often.

a2capt

Sales! the Final Frontier.

These are the transactions of the salesforce, Vanguard. Their five-year exclusive contract, to explore CAP members wallets, seek out new revenue and new logos from National HQ, to boldly embroider what no uniform has seen before.

WheelsUp

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on May 12, 2010, 03:24:48 PM
Sales! the Final Frontier.

These are the transactions of the salesforce, Vanguard. Their five-year exclusive contract, to explore CAP members wallets, seek out new revenue and new logos from National HQ, to boldly embroider what no uniform has seen before.

I feel like I should create a YouTube video from this...

a2capt

LOL.. lets do it. ;) I'm sure NHQ will be thrilled..  Maybe another letter would be issued. LOL.