Main Menu

Retirement Tonight

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, April 07, 2018, 06:59:57 PM

West MI-CAP-Ret

Looking back on 28 years of service, I'm saddened and relieved.  Every organization has warts, and CAP has a few.  But it's the good times and good friends that I've made, the children I had a tiny part in helping migrate into society; well-grounded and loving their community. 

My relief is that now my wife doesn't have to drive me places to do my job.  My lovely wife was saddened when she heard me share that I was leaving because I didn't want her to drive me around.  She already works 45-50 hours a week as a speech-language pathologist for the Holland school district, so I didn't want to continue.  I had to apologize for that remark because it was the unpredictability of Multiple Sclerosis, and that I could no longer be counted on for assignments that caused me to leave, and it was unfair to have my wife drive me. 

No, I'm saddened that I have to leave.  I'm told by the VA that the Anthrax booster shots I received when I went to Turkey for the last ONW mission in March '03 (anthrax boosters has a 3-5% neurological side-effect, which for those with a predisposition for MS, can come down with it).  So, after a dozen years, the disease caught up with me. 

I loved working with cadets, and doing unit histories and pushing paperwork for group wasn't much fun.  So, tonight, at the 2018 MI Wg Conference Banquet, I'm getting retired and promoted to Major.  My wife and parents will be by my side for the special ceremony.  One heck of a way to go.  Gone but not forgotten.  I haven't wore my dress blues in six years; still fits  :) .  I'll still be around!
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Starbird

Thank you, sir, for your service and dedication.  I wish you good health from here on out and great success for you in all your future endeavors.

Starbird

OldGuy

Thank you for your service, you make us all proud.

Brit_in_CAP

Outstanding!  Thanks for your service in the regular military and with CAP; I hope that you thoroughly enjoy tonight, and "feel the love" of the CAP family alongside your own!

JacobAnn

28 years, wow!  Sad to see you go and wish you the very best in future endeavors.  Thank you for your dedicated service.

Simplex

Congratulations on your retirement, and thank you for your service.

SARDOC

Thank you for your Commitment to the Civil Air Patrol and to our Country.  We are a better place for it.

Eclipse

Thanks man.

Enjoy the quiet, you've earned it.

"That Others May Zoom"

ironputts

I remember those lines getting shots and with blood running down the arm. I never asked what shots they were and the Army never explained to me. I am grateful I served my nation and now living with the after effects. Thank you for your service with CAP and expecially the military and happy retirement!
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

Crashaxe

And here I am, about to rejoin CAP as a Senior Member in your Wing, after a 31 year hiatus, to try to give back to the current cadets that which I got from the program many years ago. I hope that I can do a fraction of the good that you did, DemonOps.

If the Wing Conference had been scheduled in May or June, I likely would have been there to see your retirement ceremony.

It sounds as if you did wonderful things both in the military and in CAP. Thank you for your service in both.

Enjoy that well-earned retirement.