Main Menu

Corporate Polo

Started by RiChArD7032, July 05, 2018, 08:37:07 PM

RiChArD7032

I'd like to purchase one of these, but as always, Vanguard is crazy expensive for just one shirt.  Has anyone purchased a regular polo shirt and taken it to get the shield, name and such embroidered by a local company before?  I know I can find a nice polo for less than $30 that matches in color and material.

Thanks for the info.

hamburgee

I don't know anyone who's done that - but if you decide to, you can find the tactical polo that Vanguard sells here (it's also less than $30, go figure).

Shuman 14

QuoteI don't know anyone who's done that

I sense a certain air of factiousness in your statement.  ;D
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

BraveRifles19D

I bought the cheap one and the logo is on the left shoulder.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Unless you own the machine yourself, you won't find a local embroidery shop who
will do the multi-needle setup and sewing for a 1-off shirt any cheaper then VG is selling it now.
You will likley also run into the issue of IP with any of the major embroidery franchises.

$56 isn't all that outrageous for a custom-embroidered shirt, and it would be a little less with a coupon code.

The seal patch that used to be worn on the flight suit could probably just be sewn on your own shirt,
and few would make an issue of it, assuming you can find one and that it's generally the right size,
doesn't look like VG sells them anymore.

But your best bet is just buy the right shirt (or a screened one).

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

It actually isn't a bad quality shirt.

Make sure to use the coupon code of the month posted on their facebook page.

RiChArD7032

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2018, 09:05:10 PM

$56 isn't all that outrageous for a custom-embroidered shirt, and it would be a little less with a coupon code.

Coupon code...I was not aware of this.  Any amount of savings is good.  I just have a hard time paying that much for a shirt, but what can you do but support the VG Mafia.  ;)

N6RVT

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on July 05, 2018, 08:37:07 PM
I'd like to purchase one of these, but as always, Vanguard is crazy expensive for just one shirt.  Has anyone purchased a regular polo shirt and taken it to get the shield, name and such embroidered by a local company before?  I know I can find a nice polo for less than $30 that matches in color and material.

Find one of the old round patches used on flight suits and sew it on a Wal-Mart navy blue polo, and you can do it for less than $10

CAP9907

Is $26.95 really that unreasonable to get the proper screened polo? (that's what they're going for at VG)

Making your own will likely result in a shirt that 'just looks off'. Get the real deal and move on. My opinion of course.
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

BraveRifles19D

Quote from: CAP9907 on July 06, 2018, 09:13:47 PM
Is $26.95 really that unreasonable to get the proper screened polo? (that's what they're going for at VG)

Making your own will likely result in a shirt that 'just looks off'. Get the real deal and move on. My opinion of course.
Believe me, the "proper one" looks off. The logo is seriously on my left arm, not the chest where it should be.

NIN

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on July 06, 2018, 09:36:08 PM
Quote from: CAP9907 on July 06, 2018, 09:13:47 PM

Believe me, the "proper one" looks off. The logo is seriously on my left arm, not the chest where it should be.

If that is the case, take a photograph, and get with Vanguard and tell them. If something is screwed up they are pretty good about fixing it.

I just wish they didn't have to fix things
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

CAPLTC

Doesn't Vanguard have exclusive license to embroider CAP corporate logos?
1-time setup fees for embroidery usually run $20-50 depending upon the shop.
I have a place locally who will embroider any logo on any item within reason for $5 after you have paid a 1-time $35 fee.
Would have to buy a BUNCH of shirts to get the cost down.
The same "tactical" shirt is $39 w/o logo on Amazon.

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on July 05, 2018, 08:37:07 PM

Thanks for the info.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

audiododd

I wish, I wish, I wish....

I used the 5.11 tactical polos at work and I always bought the cotton ones.  The "performance" (i.e. polyester) fabric feels weird to me and if I get within 10 feet of a piece of velcro, the shirt looks like it lost a fight with a cat. I really wish CAP could get rid of the strangle-hold that VG has on the logo (yeah, yeah....economies of scale and all that).  I could totally get people from about 3 local units to go in on an order of shirts/embroidery if we could do it locally. 
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

Briank

Quote from: audiododd on July 08, 2018, 07:04:59 AM
I used the 5.11 tactical polos at work and I always bought the cotton ones.  The "performance" (i.e. polyester) fabric feels weird to me and if I get within 10 feet of a piece of velcro, the shirt looks like it lost a fight with a cat.

And the lint...  My polo picks up lint like you wouldn't believe.  And of course, de-linting ends up with a similar situation to the velcro...  Sigh.

Fubar

I used the 5.11 tactical polos at work and I always bought the cotton ones.  The "performance" (i.e. polyester) fabric feels weird to me and if I get within 10 feet of a piece of velcro, the shirt looks like it lost a fight with a cat. I really wish CAP could get rid of the strangle-hold that VG has on the logo (yeah, yeah....economies of scale and all that).  I could totally get people from about 3 local units to go in on an order of shirts/embroidery if we could do it locally.

I don't think there is anything from keeping CAP members from using the logo internally, even for clothing items. The issue is when you try to start selling them, then you're encroaching on our contract with Vanguard.

YMMV. Don't make decisions based upon what you read on the internet.

RiChArD7032

Quote from: Fubar on July 09, 2018, 01:32:55 AM

I don't think there is anything from keeping CAP members from using the logo internally, even for clothing items. The issue is when you try to start selling them, then you're encroaching on our contract with Vanguard.

AAFES is very similiar mafia.  I would imagine if you're not careful, you'll be sleepin' with the fishes.  :)

chuckmilam

Quote from: Briank on July 08, 2018, 12:13:59 PM
And the lint...  My polo picks up lint like you wouldn't believe.  And of course, de-linting ends up with a similar situation to the velcro...  Sigh.

The new "tactical polo" is a tremendous improvement over the older knit version.  Wrinkle-resistant, none of the lint issues, non-fading, wicking fabric.  Well worth the extra cost.

abdsp51

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on July 09, 2018, 03:13:11 PM

AAFES is very similiar mafia.  I would imagine if you're not careful, you'll be sleepin' with the fishes.  :)

AAFES hasn't been competitve with anyone for years.  Everynow and then they might have a deal or bargain but their prices are the same as everyone else.

PHall

Quote from: RiChArD7032 on July 09, 2018, 03:13:11 PM

You greatly over estimate the power of AAFES. And they probably really don't care either. Walmart and Amazon ate their lunch a long time ago.

NIN

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

If you're not selling them, sure, you're likely not in hot water.  You still have to go out and get yourself a nice Brother 7-needle machine and then get someone to digitize the seal into a sew file, and then hope that sew file  comes out at least as good as the seal Vanguard is doing now, which is pretty nice and as I recall has something north of 10,000 stitches in it. (old ones were less "dense")  Now we're a couple grand into this for just one shirt. Tell me again how Vanguard is expensive?

But if you go to EmbroidMe or someone, and they digitize and then sew for you, they're charging you money for that. Money is changing hands for them to reproduce a logo that is licensed to another company for exclusive reproduction. Thats why you can't march into most embroidery places with the logo of your favorite sports team and ask them to embroider it on your jacket: they're violating someone's copyright and license agreement doing so and open themselves up to, at the very least, a cease & desist letter and, if they're doing it a lot, a lawsuit for damages.

I, too, stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Fubar

Quote from: NIN on July 09, 2018, 08:15:36 PMDid you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Too pricey  ;D

Thats why you can't march into most embroidery places with the logo of your favorite sports team and ask them to embroider it on your jacket: they're violating someone's copyright and license agreement doing so and open themselves up to, at the very least, a cease & desist letter and, if they're doing it a lot, a lawsuit for damages.

Very true, however if you are a member of the team that brings the team logo to an embroidery place, there isn't a copyright issue. The same (in theory) can be said for me, a CAP member, bringing a CAP logo to a professional and having them do something with it.

I mean, look at all the squadron T-shirts out there with a CAP logo on it. That's not an issue until a squadron sets up a website to start selling them on the internet. That would most certainly be an issue.